Female Trying to Gain Weight - Page 3
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    You would be surprised how much mental endurance goes into the flexed arm hang. Most individuals drop to early, not because they can't hold on any longer, but because they give up mentally.

Try counting- its what I do every time I get up on the bar. Count up to 70 slowly in your head while you're hanging on the bar. Set goals. Get up there and tell yourself you're not getting down until you count to at least 25 and keep going from there. When you reach that, next time try for 30, then 35, 40, 50, etc. all the way up to 70. I think the first time I attempted the hang with my recruiter, I got about 35 seconds. I started counting every time, and before I shipped off to boot camp, I was able to get 99 seconds (p!ssed me off I didn't get 100!). To this day, I still count. Anyways, hope this helps.

Commdog, it's funny you say that. At first, I would just focus on something in the distance. Then my bunkie suggested I try singing something to myself in my head....she used to sing the Marine Corps hymn, so I gave it a try next time, and low and behold, I was maxing my arm hang in no time. I think I was able to sing the Marine Corps hymn to myself 3 times and then I knew I maxed the arm hang. It does help a great deal!

Quote Originally Posted by commdog7 View Post
    You would be surprised how much mental endurance goes into the flexed arm hang. Most individuals drop to early, not because they can't hold on any longer, but because they give up mentally.

Try counting- its what I do every time I get up on the bar. Count up to 70 slowly in your head while you're hanging on the bar. Set goals. Get up there and tell yourself you're not getting down until you count to at least 25 and keep going from there. When you reach that, next time try for 30, then 35, 40, 50, etc. all the way up to 70. I think the first time I attempted the hang with my recruiter, I got about 35 seconds. I started counting every time, and before I shipped off to boot camp, I was able to get 99 seconds (p!ssed me off I didn't get 100!). To this day, I still count. Anyways, hope this helps.
    That's the best way to help me when I'm running trying to get in that last mile. Singing or counting or, "I will not fail, I will not fail..." Don't know why I didn't think of it for the arm hang. You all are such a great help. Thank you. Self-discipline and learning to push myself mentally is definitely my greatest hurtle.

Also, I'll take Petz advice and cut down on my running and just play basketball during PT for my cardio or something.

Glad I could help.

LASWMarine, I did the same thing when I was joining the Corps. I first tried to focus on a spot, but often I was facing an empty wall only about a foot away from me, so that didn't help. The I tried focusing my attention to something else, I tried thinking of a conversation I had earlier in the day or thinking of something I saw on TV or something, it helped a little, but it was difficult to keep my attention focused on something else. I think I tried singing before I thought of counting. Counting works for me, it takes my mind off hanging and lets me know where I'm at. Every PFT I take now, I ask the Marine to tell me my time as I'm doing it in 10 second intervals (10... 20... 30 seconds, etc.). But even while the Marine is telling me my time, I still count in my head, takes my mind off what I'm doing and lets me verify how accurate my count is.

hey Roop, when you dep in you can start calling me SSgt Petz. Just make sure you let thedrifter know when you do dep in so she can change your profile status. Stay motivated and everything will fall into place.

Quote Originally Posted by Roop View Post
    That's the best way to help me when I'm running trying to get in that last mile. Singing or counting or, "I will not fail, I will not fail..."
    A little tip on the chants..... dont use the word 'fail' or any other negative. Your mind is continually hearing the word 'fail'.

Change it to something positive like "I will succeed" or "I will finish" or something of that nature. It's easier to 'will do' something than to 'will not do' something.

Good luck....

the word "can" falls into that category as well. You CAN become the president of the United States or you WILL become the president of the United States. Which sounds more positive and goal oriented? That's right, the "Will become" does.

It's because "can" is a matter of will power while "will" is a proclamation of Knowing the outcome.

Totally agree Petz

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ameriken View Post
    A little tip on the chants..... dont use the word 'fail' or any other negative. Your mind is continually hearing the word 'fail'.

Change it to something positive like "I will succeed" or "I will finish" or something of that nature. It's easier to 'will do' something than to 'will not do' something.

Good luck....
    Quote Originally Posted by Petz View Post
    the word "can" falls into that category as well. You CAN become the president of the United States or you WILL become the president of the United States. Which sounds more positive and goal oriented? That's right, the "Will become" does.

It's because "can" is a matter of will power while "will" is a proclamation of Knowing the outcome.
    Agreed and agreed. In my college child psychology classes we learned a similar theory to this. Every time we people say to ourselves, "Oh, I'm stupid or that was dumb of me..." We begin to believe ourselves and really think we are ignorant or unintelligent.

Seems like I could use a life coach or if I'm smart, I'll take a hint and listen to what you Marines have to say. The info and tips are much appreciated.

You're run time is good, so if I were you, I would slow it down to 3-4 miles, two - 3 times per week. Thats just if you want to maintain your PFT score for now though. You won't actually run 3 miles at PI for the first good while, so you could stop running altogether, it probably wouldn't matter. Definetly cut back some though, if for nothing else to just get a break and not injure your legs.

As for the weight, buy creatine and weight-gainer. You can buy the whey protien too if you want.

When I take supps and just lift, no running, you can put on weight pretty easy, and I dont actually take the weight gainer, so with that, you would be good. It doesn't matter that you can't take it in bootcamp, because after you ship, being under your weight no longer matters, but if it's stoping you from shipping, and you need 10 pounds in a month, take the weight gainer and creatine. You may find it hard to PT, but PT the first few weeks is probably easier than what you are doing now, and you'll have 3 months at PI to lose that excess weight.

Quote Originally Posted by MD8724 View Post
    You're run time is good, so if I were you, I would slow it down to 3-4 miles, two - 3 times per week. Thats just if you want to maintain your PFT score for now though. You won't actually run 3 miles at PI for the first good while, so you could stop running altogether, it probably wouldn't matter. Definetly cut back some though, if for nothing else to just get a break and not injure your legs.

As for the weight, buy creatine and weight-gainer. You can buy the whey protien too if you want.

When I take supps and just lift, no running, you can put on weight pretty easy, and I dont actually take the weight gainer, so with that, you would be good. It doesn't matter that you can't take it in bootcamp, because after you ship, being under your weight no longer matters, but if it's stoping you from shipping, and you need 10 pounds in a month, take the weight gainer and creatine. You may find it hard to PT, but PT the first few weeks is probably easier than what you are doing now, and you'll have 3 months at PI to lose that excess weight.
    Thank you, Sir. That seems like a good run schedule to me.

And I wonder how safe creatine is for women to take. If it is safe, I'd be curious to know in what doses it is recommended. Then I'd hop right on that bandwagon. And well, if I can get a waiver it won't matter that I'm a few pounds underweight. But I'd like to try and play it safe for MEPS to make damn sure that I will have no problem shipping asap. I also hope that I will continue to gain lots of weight (muscle weight) at PI and I that I will do so quickly. I need desperately to bulk up.

Thank you, Sir. That seems like a good run schedule to me.

And I wonder how safe creatine is for women to take. If it is safe, I'd be curious to know in what doses it is recommended. Then I'd hop right on that bandwagon. And well, if I can get a waiver it won't matter that I'm a few pounds underweight. But I'd like to try and play it safe for MEPS to make damn sure that I will have no problem shipping asap. I also hope that I will continue to gain lots of weight (muscle weight) at PI and I that I will do so quickly. I need desperately to bulk up.
    It's safe. There are really no side effects at all. It pretty much just puts on water weight for you, but it helps your stamina. Like I said though, since you can't take it at bootcamp, it's really just for the weigh, but you may see nice increases in strength at the gym in your last month. Just take the recommended amount that it has on the package. Probably 1-2 scoops with 4-8oz of water(the amount of water doesnt really matter, but like Koolaid, too much water means more crappy flavor).
    If you do pushups and crunches, you may see some increase in muscle size during your time at PI, but since the squadbay isnt a gym, once you hit the peak, youll stop, just like sticking with the same dumbbells in the gym. Since you can already run, I highly doubt you will gain any muscles in your legs. Really though, it's just about getting there and making it through. If you can increase your physical abilities while you are there, then great. If not, then you will have plenty of time once you hit MOS school and the fleet to do so. The more fit you are going in, the less gains you will see, to be honest with you.

Do not stop running altogether, your run time will progressively get worse if you do (depending on how many weeks). You can cut back on running, just run once or twice a week and you should be fine.

Credits
    Savings
    Just make sure everything you take is cool and you don't pop hot on a whiz quiz!

I need desperately to bulk up.

Heh, if you want to bulk up, do 1 month on 2 months off with Creatine, and take Whey Protien, and hit the gym hard every day. Do the right type of workout though. The all-body stuff I didnt find that great for getting bigger. Also, you could pretty much stop doing the running you are doing, and stick to the 3-4 miles, about twice a week. Once you PT in the fleet, depening on how much your unit runs, you could stop running on your own altogether.

This is purely for bulking up though, and has nothing to do with a PFT or anything. When I was just trying to increase in size, I probably didnt run at all for a good 2-3 months.

Thread Information