Female Trying to Gain Weight
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Female Trying to Gain Weight

I'm a 19-year-old female DEPr and I am under the minimum weight for recruit training. My recruiters are trying to get me a waiver so I don't have to gain 10lbs in 1 month. I lift everyday and do PT Mon, Wed, Fri, but I still have to gain 10 more lbs. Any tips?

Eat more. You're lifting and PTing so your caloric requirements are higher. If you're looking to put on 10 pounds of muscle then you're going to be working for a while depending on your protocol, in that case longer than a month, at least 6-8 weeks without serious supplements.

In that case you'll want to do without supplements because you'll be off them for the entirety of boot and suffer a massive decrease in performance depending on what you're taking.

Avoid that nonsense and google "calorie intake calculator". You'll find several so either enter your current numbers or the weight you need to be and work around it from there. My suggestion is that you stop lifting if you want to put on weight. You're going to need ever increasing amounts of chow to put on more weight in that time frame with just food and near daily weight lifting.

And adjust your profile to poolee/dep, post a ship date... then get on your face and push.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Drink Ensure and eat high carbs and keep PT'ing!

Get married Apparently that's the quickest way for a woman to gain weight...according to my married buddies that is

Quote Originally Posted by brian0351 View Post
    Get married Apparently that's the quickest way for a woman to gain weight...according to my married buddies that is

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roop View Post
    I'm a 19-year-old female DEPr and I am under the minimum weight for recruit training. My recruiters are trying to get me a waiver so I don't have to gain 10lbs in 1 month. I lift everyday and do PT Mon, Wed, Fri, but I still have to gain 10 more lbs. Any tips?

NoRemorse has good advice, increase your protein intake, eat more carbohydrates like spaghetti/pasta which are complex carbs then goto GNC and tell them you want a daily vitamin 'cause it will help all this stuff travel through your body and actually be used instead of sent right back out the back door. Your body needs daily vitamins in order for our body to absorb protein and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    Drink Ensure and eat high carbs and keep PT'ing!
    I've heard that Ensure helps, guess I should give it a try. Thank you all for the good advice. I'm thinking I should also stop running so much. 3-5 miles a day, it's probably not helping my cause.

Also, NoRemorse, you recommend that I stop lifting? I don't know if I could afford to not lift. I need all the muscle I can get and as fast as I can get it, too.

If you want to put weight on now stop lifting, continue your regular PT and calisthenics, recalculate your caloric needs and start freakin' eating.

You're not going to retain that muscle in boot... then again I don't know what you're lifting, how often or for how long.

I see. Alright, I'll take your advice and pray it works. Thank you.

If you want to gain weight, make sure you are taking in more calories than you are burning. Calories are your friend.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'm just curious what your IST scores are, and if you've taken a full PFT, what those scores were.

If your times on the run are solid, I might think about cutting back on the run distances too. Maybe to no more than three miles at a time. This reduces caloric need.

Also if your profile photo is any guide, you do look slim. Slim is great, skinny is not. In boot camp women need a little bit of fat (in the right places) to stay healthy through the heavy activity. You don't want your hormones so out of whack (more than they are going to get) that they make you shave your face every morning.

I'll bet you're going to be a double-rat recruit in the chow hall.

Quote Originally Posted by Roop
    It's a little confusing. I went to MEPS for a different branch in September, passed and right before I got my ship date I decided to switch to the USMC. I go to MEPS again this coming week to get my MOS and definite ship date. My recruiter is most confident that I'll be leaving early December though.
    I had a conversation with Roop earlier today...and she's not in the DEP yet.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LASWMarine View Post
    I had a conversation with Roop earlier today...and she's not in the DEP yet.

Well, then I'm sure you filled her in on requirements so she can plan her feeding schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    I'm just curious what your IST scores are, and if you've taken a full PFT, what those scores were.

If your times on the run are solid, I might think about cutting back on the run distances too. Maybe to no more than three miles at a time. This reduces caloric need.

Also if your profile photo is any guide, you do look slim. Slim is great, skinny is not. In boot camp women need a little bit of fat (in the right places) to stay healthy through the heavy activity. You don't want your hormones so out of whack (more than they are going to get) that they make you shave your face every morning.

I'll bet you're going to be a double-rat recruit in the chow hall.
    Yeah, my recruiters mentioned something about double portions. I have yet to have my first official POOLEE Function. When I was doing Physical Tests for the USAF I did pretty well, although their standards are different. During PT the other day this is how I scored: 72 crunches in 2 min. 22 sec. arm hang. 22:00 min. 3-mile run. But I am seriously lacking on my push-ups.

Haha, and I definitely don't want to be growing a beard. I ate a big bowl of pasta for lunch today and ran to the store and grabbed some Ensure Plus, I have yet to crack it open and try it, so we shall see. Thanks for the good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    Well, then I'm sure you filled her in on requirements so she can plan her feeding schedule.
    No, I didn't. Maybe she's got a high metabolism that she burns everything off without gaining weight.
    I just wanted to know why she's saying that she's in the DEP and doesn't have a shipdate in her profile, that's all. I did ask her to post here why she doesn't have a shipdate and why she's not in the DEP yet, but she didn't.

Thread Information