Female Trying to Gain Weight - Page 5
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    I think you will do just fine. Your physical fitness is up there nicely (this is usually the big stressor on new recruits - it shouldn't be for you). Use the search function here and Google to look up the Marine knowledge you will need to learn in boot camp. The more you know before you go, the less stress you'll feel. Your recruiter should have a handbook for you too.

If you know you're cool in PT and have a good grip on the basic knowledge, the rest of the head games become easier to deal with. Drill Instructors are professionals at head games. You will never out think them for the first two phases. By third phase you should know the recruit business well enough to anticipate what your Drill Instructors want and be a little bit ahead of the game.

The first couple of weeks have a purpose. It may seem senseless, chaotic, but don't let that fool you. The purpose is to unscrew your head, flush out the civilian nastiness, and re-screw your head back on ready to be refilled the Marine Corps way. Believe me, some things you learn in boot camp, you will still do 30-years later. Silly little things like always stepping off on your left foot when walking, hating (fearing) to be late to anything, avoiding carrying things in your right hand (so you can salute).

Also, by third phase, if you are a good recruit, doing well at PT, drill, knowledge, etc, the Drill Instructors will start to lay off you a tad to concentrate on the problem children. The faster you prove yourself, the faster the personal stress eases a bit.

As Commdog7 said, by third phase you will start to really respect your Drill Instructors because the light bulb will have come on in your head about how hard some of this stuff is, and yet they can do it and more - seemingly with ease.

By third phase, most of the crap just flies past, you don't even notice anymore. You just automatically correctly respond and there you are.

Also, I'm jealous. My Drill Instructors NEVER taught me how to do a sock-bun.
    Thank you, Sir for the advice. I'm nervous but excited. Really, I'm just ready to go and give it my all. I will ask my recruiter what I need to know as far as all the knowledge stuff goes. I am bound and determined to not become the problem child.

And sorry about the sock-bun situation. One less thing males have to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Roop View Post
    Thank you, Sir for the advice. I'm nervous but excited. Really, I'm just ready to go and give it my all. I will ask my recruiter what I need to know as far as all the knowledge stuff goes. I am bound and determined to not become the problem child.

And sorry about the sock-bun situation. One less thing males have to worry about.
    Check out some of the threads in the Poolee forum on Marine Corps knowledge.
    Also, check out these sites. These sites will give you a general idea of what boot camp is like and what to expect.

http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/training/index.asp

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marin...arinebasic.htm

look, MD you are telling her to use supplements to "bulk-up" which is a bad thing as it'll all go away in boot camp. She needs to do something to naturally add some weight.

as for creatine usage there's mixed reviews and I suppose it's all dependent on what brand you take and your body chemistry's reaction to it. Here's a link that's kinda helpful.

http://www.nutritionalsupplements.com/crea112q.html

I think creatine isn't a bad way to go, but you'll lose it all in about a week or two once you get to the island. The best thing for you to do is drink ridiculous amounts of water, they will make you drink cantines of water at a time which will afford your muscles plenty of water to get and your stamina will be the same as if you took supplements.

It's all up to you Roop

Quote Originally Posted by Petz View Post
    look, MD you are telling her to use supplements to "bulk-up" which is a bad thing as it'll all go away in boot camp. She needs to do something to naturally add some weight.

as for creatine usage there's mixed reviews and I suppose it's all dependent on what brand you take and your body chemistry's reaction to it. Here's a link that's kinda helpful.

http://www.nutritionalsupplements.com/crea112q.html

I think creatine isn't a bad way to go, but you'll lose it all in about a week or two once you get to the island. The best thing for you to do is drink ridiculous amounts of water, they will make you drink cantines of water at a time which will afford your muscles plenty of water to get and your stamina will be the same as if you took supplements.

It's all up to you Roop

I know that it will go away while she is at bootcamp. I thought I mentioned that. Either way, it's not bad. She will gain the weight she needs to leave, and then it will more than likely go away. There is nothing "bad" about that. The creatine will go away too...so you're telling her the same thing.

As for creatine , yeah there are mixed reviews. If you look at that first question and answer on that link, well obviously you are going to feel anxious, and have a high heart rate. It's mainly made for lifting, so when you take it, make sure you lift. You don't need any crazy brand, whatever will work. It isn't natural weight you will get from it either, it's water weight. You wil lose that faster than the weightgainer. And with creatine, you WILL have to drink alot of water, because you will dehydrate ALOT faster than if you don't take it.

Oh, if it makes you feel sick at your stomach, well, it doesnt mean its bad. You're just not used to it. Honestly, most supplements taste like crap. Like a horrible excuse for a shake or some koolaid. THey do make creatine in pill form, but it's more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by MD8724 View Post
    I know that it will go away while she is at bootcamp. I thought I mentioned that. Either way, it's not bad. She will gain the weight she needs to leave, and then it will more than likely go away. There is nothing "bad" about that. The creatine will go away too...so you're telling her the same thing.

As for creatine , yeah there are mixed reviews. If you look at that first question and answer on that link, well obviously you are going to feel anxious, and have a high heart rate. It's mainly made for lifting, so when you take it, make sure you lift. You don't need any crazy brand, whatever will work. It isn't natural weight you will get from it either, it's water weight. You wil lose that faster than the weightgainer. And with creatine, you WILL have to drink alot of water, because you will dehydrate ALOT faster than if you don't take it.

Oh, if it makes you feel sick at your stomach, well, it doesnt mean its bad. You're just not used to it. Honestly, most supplements taste like crap. Like a horrible excuse for a shake or some koolaid. THey do make creatine in pill form, but it's more expensive.
    Well, I'll give it 1 week with the Ensure, multi-vitamin, extra calorie intake, less running, more lifting and alternating with the weight gainer and whey protein. One small 8 oz. bottle of Ensure is 350 calories. All of this combine is making my stomach feel very out-of-whack already. If in 1 week I don't notice a difference in my weight, I will for sure try the creatine route.

Previous to September 1st, I had been a vegetarian for 12 years straight and hadn't been to the gym for 5 years. My body is probably in a little bit of a shock with all of this changing. Many of my health issues have disappeared and I feel much better physically and mentally. But by the time the weekend hits I just crash, exhaustion gets the best of me. 8-hour work days, PT 3 times a week, 2-hour gym sessions every night, swim lessons twice a week, eating meat again and eating triple what I did eat. It's all for the best. But definitely a HUGE adjustment for me.

1 week?

As it stand right now, since you were a vegetarian then it's more important that you start with multi-vitamins and probiotics (think more yogurt). Dairy will help you pack on weight and regulate your system. The multi-vitamins will help with absorption of nutrients.

If you start taking Creatine (esther, with Nitric Oxide, blah blah blah) then you're going to have to lift a lot more. That and I dont' know if you're going to need hormone supplements since you're a female looking to trigger quick weight gain by using a product designed to help you lift more often and harder.

You can put on water weight without creatine by using a pump-style workout like a bodybuilder would (which is designed for maximal size but maximal size takes more weeks than you've got left before boot).

Eat more, run less, lift less, work on your basic PT (arm-hang and crunches). If you really want to get into catabolic vs anabolic and lift more than usual then you'll usually start by losing mass.

And you're swimming, that's creating a good amount of calorie burn in addition to your 2 hour sessions. If you want to put on weight now then I'd suggest you start eating larger meals less often, put yourself into starvation mode and merely maintain your PT numbers.

protein and carbs are your best friends... wheat bread and pastas, bananas covered in peanut butter, tuna, any high protein drinks (muscle milk is a good one). I had to put on 10 LB's when I dep'ed in and I just cut down on the cardio and focused alot of my diet on protein rich foods and carbs for energy for my PT.

wow, I didn't know you were a vegetable. Well, yeah. Eating meat alone will net you some serious gains.

vegetables don't give you the essential nutrients your body needs to build muscle or maintain it afterwards. We haven't developed as a species because we stayed eating plants, we evolved because we started eating meat.

Thank you, Sir for the advice. I'm nervous but excited. Really, I'm just ready to go and give it my all. I will ask my recruiter what I need to know as far as all the knowledge stuff goes. I am bound and determined to become a Marine
    Fixed

Reminder Roop....work on changing that mindset of thinking of 'I will not' to a positive mindset of 'I will'.

Quote Originally Posted by ameriken View Post
    Fixed

Reminder Roop....work on changing that mindset of thinking of 'I will not' to a positive mindset of 'I will'.
    Thank you, Sir. I need to work on my state of mind as much as my weight.

This is simple. Eat 10 lbs worth of food the morning of the weigh in.

Quote Originally Posted by BR34 View Post
    This is simple. Eat 10 lbs worth of food the morning of the weigh in.
    Haha, yeah my recruiter said we could stop at every Carl's Jr. on the way up to MEPS and get me a good size burger. It's a 4.5 hour drive. So I'm sure that'd work if I could keep it all down. Haha. Gained 2lbs. in 2 days with the extra food, protein and Ensure!

So I'm sure that'd work if I could keep it all IN.
    Fixed

Damn.... Where is Achped when you need him to answer a quesiton; I am sure that he would have good, sound, adivce for this young lady....

Thread Information