I'm in the Army. I made the wrong decision.
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I'm in the Army. I made the wrong decision.

I'm an 11B Infantryman in the Army. I love the Infantry, but am totally dissapointed with the Army. The PT, Marksmanship, discipline, pride and overall skill is completely out done by the Marines.
    No one is proud to be in the Army. The discipline is only slightly better than that of a college football team, in the Infantry at least. The rest of the Army might as well be high schoolers.
    There is a Marine detachment in Fort Knox where I am stationed with the 1st Infantry Division- and they are amazing in every aspect. They are warriors, and I don't even think they are even Infantryman.
    Most Infantrymen in the army aren't.
    We are weak, undisciplined and rely far too much on our "superior" technology and weaponry, when most can't pass a PT test to save their life. Basic training has truly become a Summer Camp. None of us know our history, or even care for that matter.
    It hurts to even look at most of my Infantry brothers, who show up to work un motivated and cry when we stay an few minutes later than we are supposed to. We get so many days off, leave work so early, and still we complain how much we work.
    I never hear a Marine complain about the Marines. I never see a Marine that's not motivated. I never see a Marine that can't stay in step during drill and ceremony.
    And what's worse, is that the Army calls the USMC "stupid". Like, you guys have no intelligence. That for some reason, being in the army makes you smart.
    Yet most of us are even afraid to get our shoes a little dirty. And when they do get dirty, we don't even clean them. Marines are clean and ready- the army is not. The army experiences stress when they deploy- Marines experience it the first day of boot camp.
    Marines make the Army Rangers look bad. Why did I join the army, then? Because my Father didn't want me to join the Marines. He called them stupid jarheads, that I would die a foolish death if I were to deploy with them. And I respect my father... but he was wrong.
    I've been in the Army for only 8 and a half months and I already think all of this. How can I last the rest of my 4 years? Watching the Marines grow stronger every day while we take breaks and relax and get our early days off?
    What should I do? Can I switch to the Marines, somehow? I'll go through boot again. I want to. I want to be forged into a Marine Infantryman. A warrior.
    Or, do I have to wait my 4 years, and then join? I'll wait, if I have to. Every soldier in the army has said that Marines don't let prior service army guys in. Is this true?
    Thank you for your help.

You can go in the Corps after your 4 years. I did 3 years in the Army before I joined the Corps, and I fuggin hated it. I know where you are coming from. You will have to go back through boot camp again, and will probably not be put in any higher than PFC (E-2). Making the move to the Corps was the best decision I made in my life.

Thank you, Marine.
    I don't even care if I get sent back to E1... I just so badly want to be a Marine.
    I'm also glad to hear a prior army soldier say that the USMC is a better choice. It makes me feel that I have much to look forward to.

Army of One

Quote Originally Posted by Erebus View Post
    Thank you, Marine.
    I don't even care if I get sent back to E1... I just so badly want to be a Marine.
    I'm also glad to hear a prior army soldier say that the USMC is a better choice. It makes me feel that I have much to look forward to.
    I have never met a Prior Soldier turned Marine, that had anything good to say about the Army. In Bravo Co, at 2nd Tracks we had a Prior Soldier turned Marine. He always said it was the best decision he ever made, he got promoted quick with his prior TIS, and the fact that he was squared away. Although he did look funny when he was a LCpl with his Army Ribbons he was authorized to wear. I think he had an Army Comm Medal, and Army Achievement Medal. Plus he had a star on his NDSM I cant remember entirely, but he had a few. I say go for it, I'm not sure if you said it already, but how much time you got left on your Army of One contract. . Semper Fi

Am I, as a Marine suppose to feel superior because of your cute little rant?

You make it sound like the USMC is this perfect paradise which does no wrong. Who are you kidding?

What amazes me is that you have been in your unit for about five months and here you are talking crap. What does that say about your character? Perhaps the problem with the Army is people such as the one in your mirror.

I'm an 11B Infantryman in the Army. I love the Infantry, but am totally dissapointed with the Army. The PT, Marksmanship, discipline, pride and overall skill is completely out done by the Marines.
    No one is proud to be in the Army. The discipline is only slightly better than that of a college football team, in the Infantry at least. The rest of the Army might as well be high schoolers.
    There is a Marine detachment in Fort Knox where I am stationed with the 1st Infantry Division- and they are amazing in every aspect. They are warriors, and I don't even think they are even Infantryman.
    We are weak, undisciplined and rely far too much on our "superior" technology and weaponry, when most can't pass a PT test to save their life. Basic training has truly become a Summer Camp. None of us know our history, or even care for that matter.
    It hurts to even look at most of my Infantry brothers, who show up to work un motivated and cry when we stay an few minutes later than we are supposed to. We get so many days off, leave work so early, and still we complain how much we work.
    I never hear a Marine complain about the Marines. I never see a Marine that's not motivated. I never see a Marine that can't stay in step during drill and ceremony.
    And what's worse, is that the Army calls the USMC "stupid". Like, you guys have no intelligence. That for some reason, being in the army makes you smart.
    Yet most of us are even afraid to get our shoes a little dirty. And when they do get dirty, we don't even clean them. Marines are clean and ready- the army is not. The army experiences stress when they deploy- Marines experience it the first day of boot camp.
    Marines make the Army Rangers look bad. Why did I join the army, then? Because my Father didn't want me to join the Marines. He called them stupid jarheads, that I would die a foolish death if I were to deploy with them. And I respect my father... but he was wrong.
    I've been in the Army for only 8 and a half months and I already think all of this. How can I last the rest of my 4 years? Watching the Marines grow stronger every day while we take breaks and relax and get our early days off?
    What should I do? Can I switch to the Marines, somehow? I'll go through boot again. I want to. I want to be forged into a Marine Infantryman. A warrior.
    Or, do I have to wait my 4 years, and then join? I'll wait, if I have to. Every soldier in the army has said that Marines don't let prior service army guys in. Is this true?
    Thank you for your help.
    You have no clue as to what it takes to be a Marine nor do you have a clue of what happens in the Army.

Credits
    Savings
    You made your bed, now sleep in it for the next 3+ years.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You picked it, you'll have to live with it.

Be the best you can be (no pun intended), then enlist in the Corps after you get discharged from the Army in four-years. You won't look like a quitter like you will if you try to pull any shenanigans to get out of the Army now.

You said you've seen Marines at Ft. Knox. Then quietly emulate them. Be the Army of One they talk so much about.

Son, first relax, second realize that nothing is perfect. Most Marines here have friends in the Army from high school or whatever. You are young and your expectations are high. Most of us understand. I had the same expectations when I first enlisted in the Corps. Find people of a positive motivation as yourself and make the next 3 yrs the best of your life. Then if the Corps is what you want go for it. I love the Corps and it means the world to me. But, you made a commitment to the Army. Fulfill it, completely. The things you learn being an exemplary soldier will carry with you the rest of your life. Make more than the best of it! 8 months is not a enough time to be disgruntled. Every Marine here has had there time in the SUCK and their fair share of F-ck, F-ck games. In the end, we love it! Or at least our bros with us! Read Tommy Franks book. it is very good. Take alot of pride in yourself and the Army. See Were you are at in 3 yrs.

Roger. I'll do the best I can. I'm not a quitter.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Hey, son,,,you're heart is in the right place and you are serving OUR country,,,I'm proud of ya, Semper Fi.

By the way, my knuckle headed Army puke son in law is in Afgan,,,, Proud of him too

Yeah, so I think you got your motivation and you have a plan. Good, now this thread can be done.

Aye, stick with it and do your best. You may find after another year or so that it will improve and you'll like it more. After your Army tour is over, then enlist in the Marines. As far as Prior Army not accepted in the Marine Corps, that sounds like a whole lotta hogwash to me. We had a former Army soldier in my platoon in Boot Camp, he did fine in fact, I believe he was a Squad Leader. 5-8 months is just not enough time to see the total circumstances of the Army and yourself in the Army. I knew several other ex Army, Ex Navy, ex Air Force during my time in the Marines As Zulu said, Emulate the Marines you know. They will notice and so will most others. Hang Tough.

Thank you for your help.
    There is no way this is real. If you want better PT, go to the gym. Plenty of Marines can't PT.

My cousin is in the Army, and proud, so you're wrong there.

There is a reason alot of guys act like high schoolers, and that would be because they just came from high school, same as alot of young Marines.

Sounds like you like there Marines you are stationed with a little too much. Hopefully Obama lets you be accepted.

Basic is may be longer and harder than the Army's, but you'll go through alot harder **** in the fleet, and I'm sure youll do harder **** with the Army than we did at PI or SD.

Plenty of Marines don't know Marine Corps history,nor do they care.

ALot of Marines come to work unmotivated, and ***** when we leave early.

You call us dumb, we call you gay. It's all the same.

I don't like getting my shoes dirty when I drive my car, it's too hard to clean.

Plenty of Marines never wash their cami's and live like pigs. Hence why field days are still held.

Consistently stressful enviroments are just that, stressful. Be glad if you're not stressed out right now, jeeze.

To be honest, I don't know what Army Rangers do all day, but I doubt my trouble ticket entering skills make them look bad.

I don't really care about your father, so i'll forget that one.

Last but not least, talk with a recruiter or your Career counseler maybe ?

There. Finished. Seriously though, it's all about attitude. Even in the Marines, people with ****ty attitudes generally don't enjoy it.

I mean, if you want to be a Marine, then great, but don't come shi t ting all over the Army because it's not what you thought it would be.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    MD,,,,,,,,, Go **** yourself........ Sparkie, Out.

Thread Information