Cpl promotion q's - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by BR34 View Post
    I can't believe a LCpl is asking these types of questions on the internet!

Here, save this site to your computer. It's updated monthly. Just type in your MOS and the rank's score you're looking for. Then report directly to your NCO and slap him in the face for dropping the ball.

https://www.manpower.usmc.mil/portal..._schema=PORTAL

this is the site i was looking for, and thanks for the help with the mci's i want to go ahead and order them that way when i do get Cpl i can already turn in some of the ones needed for Sgt. Yes i have around 40 some college credit hours, that i was going to turn in so if it'll help pros and cons then i think i just might turn them in. Semper...

Quote Originally Posted by boxinggsxr View Post
    Yes i have around 40 some college credit hours, that i was going to turn in so if it'll help pros and cons then i think i just might turn them in. Semper...
    That's not exactly how it works. If it's college you did before the Marine Corps I don't think your NCOs will take it into consideration. It's called "off duty" education, and it's not actually worth any points (there's no scale for each credit, for instance).

What your NCO will do is take off duty education into consideration when doing your monthly counselings (hopefully you do actually get counselings). Your NCO won't or maybe I should say shouldn't give positive remarks on your 2009 October [for instance] counseling for something you did in 2007.

BR, they do monthly and quarterly counsellings but only semi-annual pro/cons get submitted. I think the majority of people don't do any counsellings unless the pro/cons are required... laziness.

Quote Originally Posted by Petz View Post
    I think the majority of people don't do any counsellings unless the pro/cons are required... laziness.
    Yea, that's why I said HOPEFULLY he get his counselings, because if his leadership forgot to tell him about the things he's asking I would think they just completely neglect anything else they should be doing with him too.

Some Marines will tell you that you should wait to do your next MCI etc... etc... I dont think you should do that. Always ALWAYS have MCI's on order and turn them in. Looks way better for boards, and you also learn and get knowledge that I would want my Marines to have before they pick up NCO. Once you do the 8010 series as a corporal that MCI(6 i believe) will give you the 100 points you need. From there keep knocking MCI's out that are required or suggested from your MOS Roadmap.
    http://www.tecom.usmc.mil/ on the right hand side there is a link for the RoadMap. Also keep your Marines (if you have any) ordering them. Once you have completed those MCI's needed order more MCI's not MOS related and some of those MCI's count as college credits too. Never stop learning and ordering MCI's, and before you say it, NO there is no such thing as PME COMPLETE... you can always better yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by BR34 View Post
    That's not exactly how it works. If it's college you did before the Marine Corps I don't think your NCOs will take it into consideration. It's called "off duty" education, and it's not actually worth any points (there's no scale for each credit, for instance).

What your NCO will do is take off duty education into consideration when doing your monthly counselings (hopefully you do actually get counselings). Your NCO won't or maybe I should say shouldn't give positive remarks on your 2009 October [for instance] counseling for something you did in 2007.

You confused me a little here. For your cutting score, I think you get 10 points per 3 credits. If you mean pro/cons, then while it may not have a scale for it, if PFC 1 and PFC 2 are basically them same, yet PFC 2 had college he was doing, he had better get higher pros or cons, which ever it falls under.

Quote Originally Posted by MD8724 View Post
    You confused me a little here. For your cutting score, I think you get 10 points per 3 credits.
    I was actually told every 3 credits (1 class) you get 15 points, so each course you take equals 1 MCI. But I was corrected by my SNCO when a bunch of us couldn't get any education points toward our comp score from college.

If you mean pro/cons, then while it may not have a scale for it, if PFC 1 and PFC 2 are basically them same, yet PFC 2 had college he was doing, he had better get higher pros or cons, which ever it falls under.
    That's exactly what I meant. You would rate higher pros/cons for off duty education.

Okay, I gotcha. Why couldn't you get any education points for college ? Did they change it ?

I don't know. I remember hearing when I first came in that college credits could be used in place of MCIs but I don't know a single person that's actually been able to do that. I know a Marine who is working on his masters degree right now who has 0 points in the education column for his composite score (he's a Cpl who hasn't done any MCIs in current grade).

I was able to get my last 10 points by college credit, for my promotion to Cpl. I pretty much ran out of time for an MCI, so I took a CLEP test real quick, and turned it into IPAC for processing.

I never did this, but I was told they give you points only after you turn in your transcripts.... they've changed the points a few times I think. It was always less points than MCIs though.

Oh yeah, you can get a Masters if you want, but if you don't turn your transcript in to IPAC, you won't get points for it. Has to be an official transcript too, which you normally have to purchase from the college. The free printouts won't be accepted.

I believe 3 credits is 10 points too. I know some classes are 4 credit hours, but I believe you still only get 10 points.

Thread Information