Switching from Enlisted to Officer
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Switching from Enlisted to Officer

I have enlisted to go to boot camp in Aug and I already have a college degree and I'm 26. My MOS is infantry.Despite most peoples advice I wanted to do this to be a Mustang and to be a better leader when my time came. Everything that I've heard from the recruiter's is that it is not that hard to go to OCS after say two years or so as enlisted. I want to go to Iraq as enlisted then switch to Officer and most likely go back again if possible. Does anyone know how easy it really is or will I most likely have to wait till I reenlist to do it. All advice is much appreciated
    Thanks

It isn't easy at all. You must be an outstanding Marine and those openings are competitive. I'm probably echoing someone else's advice. You should only go this route if you've already been denied a trip to OCS. The route you laid out is romantic and "hollywood."

However, if this is your dream...plan on being in at least 4 years before becoming competitive for a slot. You should get your good conduct ribbon by then which, I believe, is the only way that people will automatically know you're a Mustang.

What are the competitive standards? Physical Fitness? I scored 98 on my asvab and did well at Boston University. Physically I feel very competitive, I ran the mile and a half in 9 minutes, did 17 pullups and maxed out situps. Does this make me more competitive at all?

Also, what is a good conduct ribbon?

Yea its real hard they have programs and stuff for enlisted to become officers but its hard to transfer once your are in the service its harder to change always the easiest first time around. If you are looking to be an officer than i suggest go for it. I do commend you for wanting to be enlisted and the best officers are usually enlisted but I am sure you would be trained well as an officer.

Also a good conduct medal is awarded after 3 yrs of not having any njp or discipline page 11's everyone gets and least for drinking fighting at an E-club stuff like that but yup thats what a good cookie is

You can have page 11s and get the good conduct. You can't have court marshal or NJP within three years.

Being physically fit is one aspect. You will need to be a great Marine though. With high pro/con marks, show great leadership ability, and be a poster for the Marine Corps. If you aren't going on meritorious promotion and Marine/NCO of the quarter boards you aren't going to appeal to the selection committees too much.

What exactly goes into a meritorious promotion? I know it seems an obvious question but I can't be sure without asking. Thanks alot for all the help

Ken

You go before a board and are asked questions. You are judged on your knowledge, bearing, apperance, and anything else they want to judge you on. The winner is promoted. Marine/NCO of the quarter boards work the same way, but by winning that you are just recognized as being Marine of the quarter.

Is there just one promotion or do more than one Marine get promoted?
    Thanks,
    Ken

You already have the college degree. Don't be foolish, back out of your enlistment and go for the commission. You're already 26, and you're gonna have 19 and 20 year old lance corporals and corporals bossing you around when you get in. you're gonna get paid peanuts and tasked with all the crap duties. By the time rolls around a few years later for you to apply to the MECP program (enlisted to commision), you're gonna be near or atleast 30. Then you're gonna be a boot lieutenant being bossed around by captains who are still younger than you. Just cause it sounds like its going to earn you more respect from the troops, doesn't mean its the smartest decision. Once you're in and then tell people your intentions, they're gonna call you a retard for not doing it in the first place.

Too add to E5N, being a Mustang doesn't get you more respect. The only Mustang I worked for was, by far, the worst platoon commander I had.

Anyway, there is usually one promotion, sometimes two for a really large board.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four_Bravo
    You can have page 11s and get the good conduct. You can't have court marshal or NJP within three years.

Being physically fit is one aspect. You will need to be a great Marine though. With high pro/con marks, show great leadership ability, and be a poster for the Marine Corps. If you aren't going on meritorious promotion and Marine/NCO of the quarter boards you aren't going to appeal to the selection committees too much.
    sorry i mean to have a period between that i mean page 11's as a seperate thing saying everyone has them hell i had bout 2 and i got my good cookie i also got njpd the same day i got awarded my good cookie which was a bit ironic. but hey ya know how long it takes for awards to come down the tubes but it was kinda funny i still laugh at it... For my outstanding achievements and cgood conduct you are hereby awarded.............

For violating article 92 of the uniform code of military justice i award you 30 days restriction...

LOL...I hope you're listening KHOLMES, the combined advice you're hearing is from decades of experience.

To put it in civilian terms, you've got to be Employee of the Year to be competitive for the shot at OCS. Just to be the Employee of the Year, you'll have to be competitive with dozens of very outstanding Marines whose only ambition is to be the best ENLISTED Marine that ever walked the base.

You are betting against the house on this one. Which means, you could end up getting what you want, but the money is on us being right about this.

I am absolutely listening. I plan on going in for the long haul, and if I did it any other way then I would feel as if I didn't do it the hardest way. It may sound crazy but that's how I feel about it. I completely understand what I am getting myself into. Being 26 with a carrer and a college degree going into the Enlisted program as an Infantryman doesn't make sense to anyone I ever tell about it, but it makes alot of sense to me. I know I have alot to learn about it all. The main point is I want to earn every inch I get with never a thought in my head about it and then I can be the best Marine that I am capable of.

BTW-does anyone know where I can get a pair of boots that they wear at Bootcamp so that I can break my feet in? Can you buy them easily if your not in the Marines yet

Thread Information