Future Marine : Fowarded to this Section and Updated
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Future Marine : Fowarded to this Section and Updated

Hey Marines, first off id like to give a thank you for your service.

My name is Andrew, I am 17, a senior in High School and im seriously considering the Marine Corps. Ive been talking with a local recruiter seriously for about a month on and off, and he has laid down some options. What i really want to do right now its join the reserves and my recruiter said an intel MOS opened up today and asked if I wanted to reserve it. I said I would have to talk to my parents. I would like to join the reserves so i am able to go to college and expireience what every kid wants, just to have fun.

When I discuss this with my father he naturally just wants to know all the facts and we actually sat down today with a recruiter. He showed my dad all the up and down sides of the Marines and all the plans. When I tried to discuss it with my mother she is dead set against it. She started to get all teary eyes, and told me I was believing a lie.

I really want to join the USMC and be apart of this elite brother hood.

Can you Marines throw in some suggestions or comments about the reserves, or how to win my mother over into giving me her blessing.

I was looking to sign the dotted line at 17 so I can enroll in a spring semester of college next year. I need to convince my mother (my father is pretty down for the idea) to co sign since I am a minor.

After I finish college I was thinking about going Active Duty if I liked the marines in the reserves.

Also, my recruiter offered the MOS of intelligence to me. Any of you Marines can give me a brief overview of this job would be greatly appreciated. My recruiter is stopping by my house today to drop some information of.

If you're dead set on becoming a Marine, I would just tell your mother that you're going to enlist when you turn 18 anyway and that she's on delaying the inevitable. Maybe you can talk to your father and have him work on her too. Why does she think you're being lied to anyways?

Regarding the Intel Mos...try doing a search on the site first. The topic has been covered extensively by myself and other Marines on this forum.

Credits
    Savings
    I am not quite sure why she says im believing a lie. She said it after I told her I would be in the best hands in the world. She also says it doesnt help when the President will not send tropps overseas when the Marines already over there, need backup. I am not one to get into to much politics, I would just like to serve my country.

Quote Originally Posted by agrinham View Post
    I am not quite sure why she says im believing a lie. She said it after I told her I would be in the best hands in the world. She also says it doesnt help when the President will not send tropps overseas when the Marines already over there, need backup. I am not one to get into to much politics, I would just like to serve my country.
    Does she know that the President just authorized more troops to be deployed to Afghanistan? You might want to ask her to elaborate on her point of view so you can understand her perspective. Was she there when your recruiter came and spoke to you?

Here is the Intel link you want.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=77236

Agrinham, you should've had a mod move your original thread from Open Squad Bay to this section. Double posting is a no- no.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks 0231 Marine for all your information as it will proove to be very helpful.

And no, my mother was not present when I went to the recruiting office, she was at work.

And for LASWMarineI apologize, I read most of the rules but I must have skipped a couple.

Thanks Marines!

Let your mother know that all she is signing is for you to take a physical with the MEPS doctors. She is actually NOT signing the Marine Corps contract. She is just giving consent to be seen by the doctors because your under the age of 18. SOmetimes parents feel that when they sign papers they are signing you up when in reality its just to been seen by the doctors. You are the one who raises your right hand and takes the oath. You are the one who signs the dotted line and enlists in the Marine Corps.

be a man make a decision,,, every mother feels that way ,,,,how do you think mothers in ancient greece and rome felt,,,,,its the same emotion,,,,, if she still gives you crap do a black belt mcmap move on her,, neck crank takedown or the green belt, side choke....

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks Marines.

I told her I made up my mind and they keep asking me about the other branches, and I just say I want to be a Marine. They cannot change my decision at this stage. I want to be a Marine.

Good for you. If this is what you want, dont be swayed by anyone's opinion. You go for the goal you want, the title of Marine.

My mom cried when I told her I wanted to join the Marines because she was scared for me...

My mom cried when I graduated boot because she was proud of me.

Mom's cry, that's what there for! Lol.

When I joined my recruiter came over and talked with her. Answered alot of her questions. You should make a date to have all of you sit down and discuss her concerns.

Mom's have been doing this since time immemorial. It's normal to a degree. But, the suggestions given here have much merit.

I would very gently explain that if she doesn't sign for you, then at 18 she won't NEED to sign for you, and you'll be doing this anyway. There won't be anything she can do about it, then.

There are far worse things you could be doing, serving your country as a Marine ISN'T one of them.

Let the politicians worry about politics, Marines don't give a rip, they go where they are told and do what they are supposed to do.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks Marines.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Moms do what moms do.

I was lucky. My mother basically gave me a Spartan mother send off: Come back with your shield, or on it.

I came back with it.

Thread Information