Advice on picking a MOS
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advice on picking a MOS

I posted in another form saying how I might be screwed but I have been reading and I want to ask different questions. I could sign a contract for the field Legal and Admistration, which I don't know if ill be ok with that. I really want Military Police, Intelligence, or Logistics. If I take that MOS (Legal and Admistration) is it easy to change jobs? Another thing is schooling is important to me, would being in that field make it easier to go to school? THANKS MARINES

I am not sure if things have changed, but last I knew you could only be guaranteed a field, not a specific MOS. I hope I am not giving you bum scoop. Whatever job you choose, you will be stuck with for a while. The Corps invests a lot of money sending you to school, and they want you to work in that field for a while. It is hard to say what job would be the easiest as far as school goes. This is the Marine Corps and mission comes first. Legal Admin, chances are, you would have time to attend. But keep in mind legal clerks go on MEU's and deployments. The good thing is the Corps offers a lot of distance learning opportunities IF you work hard and take advantage of them. I know a lot of Marines who earned their degrees while they were in. Not many of them had desk jobs. The opportunities for school are there, it is up to you to utilize them, no matter what job you are doing.

Thanks Marine, I understand that. Another thing is if I were to take a desk job, would I be able to go out and do any kind of training missions or just anything to further my abilities of being a Marine, not just working behind a desk and getting lazy?

Quote Originally Posted by Vanish34 View Post
    Thanks Marine, I understand that. Another thing is if I were to take a desk job, would I be able to go out and do any kind of training missions or just anything to further my abilities of being a Marine, not just working behind a desk and getting lazy?

Training as a Marine NEVER stops, no matter what the job. What a lot of people do not understand is boot camp is the EASY part of the Corps. The challenge comes pushing yourself everyday for four (or more if you choose) years. You will understand this a little better when you get in. I promise no matter what your job, you will not just be sitting behind a desk. I will tell you what my senior DI told me when he gave me my Eagle, Globe and anchor: "Being a Marine NEVER stops. You have to push yourself everyday. You are never a complete Marine because there is always one more challenge. You always have to strive to reach the next level."

"Being a MARINE never stops" I like that and you telling me this is helping a lot. Now last question how many people get through boot camp and then end up disliking there job?

"Being a MARINE never stops" I like that and you telling me this is helping a lot. Now last question how many people get through boot camp and then end up disliking there job?
    Do you think we keep charts of that? If you're worried about that then you're not tracking with what you want and what's available.

Think of it this way. Your dream job could be a 24 hour a day, 7 day a week suckfest that you hate. It depends on what you're willing to do and what you're not willing to do, regardless of the conditions at the job. You're expected to push yourself harder and better yourself constantly.

Some. Nothing is ever what you think it will be. You WILL deal with BS in the Corps. You will have things you hate about it. A positive mental attitude is the best thing in the world. Not just for the Corps, but for life. I had a job in the Corps I loved, but there were things that irritated me. The key is staying positive and focusing on the good. I am telling you this because there are Marines who get in a job they do not like and gripe and b*tch all day. That accomplishes nothing. My attitude was, even if I am mopping floors, I AM A MARINE. That is why I joined.

I posted in another form saying how I might be screwed but I have been reading and I want to ask different questions. I could sign a contract for the field Legal and Admistration, which I don't know if ill be ok with that. I really want Military Police, Intelligence, or Logistics. If I take that MOS (Legal and Admistration) is it easy to change jobs? Another thing is schooling is important to me, would being in that field make it easier to go to school? THANKS MARINES
    Here's the deal with logistics since we work together.

0411 - To put simply I think they order parts that are needed. I'm not sure
    0431 - Embarkation, basically when you deploy you make sure things go easy, and you won't sleep. And you better know how to use tact, because you'll have a lot of guys out ranking you and you need to be able to tell them what you need them to do. It's a fun job, but when things are going you don't sleep. You and sometimes the S4 officer will help you, then sometimes you're on your own. You will get the order, it will tell you when/how you're moving, what is being taken, how many pax, and tons of other stuff. You will develop the plan for air, sea, rail. And when you go before the group commander to explain how were moving you better be sure of what you have.

Don't be lazy, if you can fit on 3 C4's, 5 C17's do it, don't get more than what you need. Because HQ has to pay the air force for the use. And you will cram stuff into a plane that you didnt think was possible. I don't know if they changed it but they used ALPS which was nice because it had all US planes, and a lot of allied planes. Because you have to weigh everything that is going on that plane and then find the center of balance for all the vehicles. Then you have to get everything with hazmat's marked, and make sure that you don't have the wrong stuff together on the same plane. Which could spell disaster if something happened. There is a million other things they do, I should write up a post.

Now once you get thru the school at Johnson, you will goto a unit. If its a good unit and they want move quickly you will be back in more schools on the base. I hit hazmat, ship loading, aircraft loading, and rail loading(i was in Hawaii so I dont know) before I even knew who I worked with. I reported on friday and was in school on Monday.

0451 - You can volunteer for this at MCT, they only have a few slots but they will test you on the Army PT test because you have to goto school at Benning.

0481 - I was assigned to a red patch unit and had to do their operations with them but they never helped me with mine. Isn't that weird? Basically they're landing support. Be it beach head, convoy, or by helicopter. They bring everything in. I'm not up to speed on everything they did on the radio but I know how to bring in a helicopter with a humvee hanging below it.

Alright THANKS MARINES, you are right firedog becoming a Marine is all I should care about. I mean I work behind a desk now but thinking about becoming a Marine is exciting, I can't even focus on anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by TRLewis View Post
    Here's the deal with logistics since we work together.

0411 - To put simply I think they order parts that are needed. I'm not sure
    0431 - Embarkation, basically when you deploy you make sure things go easy, and you won't sleep. And you better know how to use tact, because you'll have a lot of guys out ranking you and you need to be able to tell them what you need them to do. It's a fun job, but when things are going you don't sleep. You and sometimes the S4 officer will help you, then sometimes you're on your own. You will get the order, it will tell you when/how you're moving, what is being taken, how many pax, and tons of other stuff. You will develop the plan for air, sea, rail. And when you go before the group commander to explain how were moving you better be sure of what you have.

Don't be lazy, if you can fit on 3 C4's, 5 C17's do it, don't get more than what you need. Because HQ has to pay the air force for the use. And you will cram stuff into a plane that you didnt think was possible. I don't know if they changed it but they used ALPS which was nice because it had all US planes, and a lot of allied planes. Because you have to weigh everything that is going on that plane and then find the center of balance for all the vehicles. Then you have to get everything with hazmat's marked, and make sure that you don't have the wrong stuff together on the same plane. Which could spell disaster if something happened. There is a million other things they do, I should write up a post.

Now once you get thru the school at Johnson, you will goto a unit. If its a good unit and they want move quickly you will be back in more schools on the base. I hit hazmat, ship loading, aircraft loading, and rail loading(i was in Hawaii so I dont know) before I even knew who I worked with. I reported on friday and was in school on Monday.

0451 - You can volunteer for this at MCT, they only have a few slots but they will test you on the Army PT test because you have to goto school at Benning.

0481 - I was assigned to a red patch unit and had to do their operations with them but they never helped me with mine. Isn't that weird? Basically they're landing support. Be it beach head, convoy, or by helicopter. They bring everything in. I'm not up to speed on everything they did on the radio but I know how to bring in a helicopter with a humvee hanging below it.
    Are you sure you're not an army recruiter? I swear, I don't think you know what the hell you're talking about. what was your MOS? Maybe you should stick to your current one instead of confusing kids.

I was an 0431. And I know that one better than my current job.

at what level did you work? I know it's more "sleepless" work the lower you are on the food chain.

I am currently an 0431 and for this last deployment, it was alot of sleepless times getting ready to come back state side. Myself, my two Cpl's and my SSgt were all up about 18+ hours daily for about a week an a half, sucked but loads of fun and hard work. I do see alot of Marines low on the food chain work long hours but with my guys, when it comes to training events such as Steel Knight, NTC, Bridgeport etc... i am always up with them working and teaching them, but they are really knowledgable so im good with that.

just talked to my recruiter he says its easy to LAT move after a year of working at my current job??

what??? i dont think thats possible, you have to wait for the end your enlistment (4 or 5 yrs depending on MOS) and if you decide to re enlist you can LAT Move.

Thread Information