Chow Halls - Page 5
Create Post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Chow Halls

Camp Al Qaim has the the best damn chow hall in the Marine Corps! Shame the last time I ate there was back in March of 2006.

Best chow hall: NAS Pensacola. Worst chow hall: MCAS Miramar

Best Chowhall was C&E Bn Chow Hall in the Stumps. Worst was the one on the USS Portland. Don't ever eat the Chicken Cordon Blue on ship. It was the most disgusting thing ever.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Never forget when the belleau wood dropped us off in Oki. We had been eating rice and peanut butter and jelly for the last week on ship. That's all we've got sorry. The next day there was a blurb on AFN about the belleau wood returning to home port (yakuska) and showed all the squids eating steak and lobster and crab legs then having a steel beach party. Bastards!

Omelets? You gotta be sh*tting me!
    You want to complain, try green dehydrated eggs, 2 strips of soggy bacon, little rocks called potatoes and wet toast. That's what we had every day on Okinawa back in the '50s. . . oh and did I mention powdered milk?
    Coldblooded, what kind of outfit are you in? We ran off every calory, every day.
    Man up. As one wise gunny once said, "You don't need to practice hardship, you get used to it quick."

I can`t believe that chow halls now give Marines choices.

Quote Originally Posted by silverdollar View Post
    I can`t believe that chow halls now give Marines choices.
    I remember that we had a choice; chow at the mess hall, wait for the roach coach to come by, go to the club, or starve.

Once in the mess hall, your choice was ususally, only one meat, maybe two veggies, kool aide & some kind of desert. Bread & milk when available.

Breakfast was the only really good meal. (It hard to screw up sos)

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Skosh59 View Post
    I remember that we had a choice; chow at the mess hall, wait for the roach coach to come by, go to the club, or starve.

Once in the mess hall, your choice was ususally, only one meat, maybe two veggies, kool aide & some kind of desert. Bread & milk when available.

Breakfast was the only really good meal. (It hard to screw up sos)
    Except for the 'roach coach', that is how I remember it at LTA.

But to be honest, the chowhall wasn't all that bad. Coming from a big family, living in the country, with meatloaf on Wednesday and fried chicken on Sunday, the Marine Corps served some pretty good chow.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlHolmes165 View Post
    Except for the 'roach coach', that is how I remember it at LTA.

But to be honest, the chowhall wasn't all that bad. Coming from a big family, living in the country, with meatloaf on Wednesday and fried chicken on Sunday, the Marine Corps served some pretty good chow.

HAHA, the Roach Coach in Tustin gave me the squirts soo bad one day I thought I was going to die. Stuck to the chow hall after that. The worst chow was in the field at Camp Wilson, now that was hidious. Tomatoes in rice, with a slice of bread, mmmmmmm.

From what I'm reading, maybe it's true to some extent--at least in the chow hall--that today's Marines are candy as*es. Many a time overseas we preferred C-rations to what they served in the chow hall.
    Only time we ate well was at Middle Camp Fuji. Bakery was right next door to Weapons 2/9. We had fresh bread ALL the time.

Thread Information