Leaving for four years
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Leaving for four years

Hello Marines i was very hesitant on asking this question because it portrays the image that im not 100% set with my decision of become a Marine and that is not true at all. Then again ask a Marine is here for guidance so i would like some advice.

Ive wanted to be a Marine since i was 16 im 21 now. I was going to join when i was 17 but i got too involved with girls and the "party scene" so to speak so i went to school and held it off until now. I know that im leaving very soon im very physically fit and excited to go to MCRD PI and whats bothering me is that my biggest fear is leaving all these people behind for four years and just being forgotten about. I consider myself a strong person in all aspects of the word and also consider that a reason why i would be right in choosing to serve in the Corps. Some days im unbelievably motivated and wanted to go to Parris Island that second and other days when im with all the people in my life the motivation is still there but it begins to bother me. You have all had to do this so id like to hear how you Marines dealt with it. Thank you very much.

~Jason

You'll get over it. People change with age and you make new friends. Such is the way of life in general. Plus you make stronger friendships in the Marine Corps.

Besides, you get leave so you can get home once or twice a year, or more.

The homesickness doesn't go away after bootcamp. This is especially true for us Texas Marines. Boy do we have some pride in our state. The first year in the Corps is especially the hardest. Get through that and a possible deployment, and the thought of being away doesn't bother you as much anymore. You're just content being in the United States. I got back from Iraq in August and don't intend on taking leave until December.

In your situation, you really need to consider the implications of leaving your friends and family behind for a few years since this seems to trouble you. You won't find a Marine that doesn't think about home atleast once in their day to day activities. Home is the kind of thing that we talk about with one another while chilling in the barracks, or sharing a beer at the e-club. I would be hard pressed to find a Marine that I have had continous interaction with, that hasn't mentioned home. Realisticly speaking, most Marines I come across intend to do four and get out because the thought of being away for another four years just isn't appealing. Regardless, everyone of them is extremely proud of what they have accomplished and wouldn't trade it for the world.

As far as people forgetting you, well people to move on with their lives. Your close friends and family will never forget you but don't expect every person you ever hung out with in highschool or college to keep a picture of you in their wallet. The fact is, if you should choose to do only four years, you get to come home to a city or town that likely hasn't changed much having accomplished something that very few have the courage to try.

One note of encouragement. Though some people may forget about you, they will be easily reminded when you come home on leave. Everytime I come home I run into new astonished faces who thought I had dissapeared off the face of the planet. They'll see that you are a new person, and that the Marines has drastically changed you. I doubt you'll be so easily forgotten then.

I ain't going to sugarcoat it. You will drift apart, no question.

Me, I have lost all contact with my high school buddies and co-workers. I briefly got in touch with them after I graduated boot camp, but I realized how much I had changed and how pathetic their lives were (seriously), I just didn't care to keep in touch. You'll notice it if you graduate, how worthless civilian life is- Marines can't stand it.

But no worries, you will gain greater friends than you can possibly image when you become a Marine. Marines are like family, I am actually closer to many of the Marines I work with than I am to my own brother. Exchanging the friends you have now for the lasting brotherhood of the Corps is well worth it, trust me.

During the summer I went home for about fourteen days. After 3 days I was ready to come back to my unit. After 4 days I was starting to get really ****ed off at everybody (family and friends), after 5 days I was ready to kill somebody, and after 6 days I realised that I'm gonna end up doing 20 years in the Marines....there's no way I can function around civilians without ripping somebody's head off...you'll soon see what I'm talking about (assuming you survive boot camp).

Forget about your friends and live for yourself. If this is something YOU want, you need to do it for YOU. You will find that your true friends will always be around, no matter where you go. And besides that, the Corps is a lot of fun. You get to travel the world, make some great new friends, and get paid to get in shape. The best times of my life were in the Corps, and I had lived quite a life before I joined. The only way to make yourself happy in life is to put yourself first.

Just go, you will soon realize that a true friend is a guy that you've known for three months and he covers you while you do something stupid. Yes I am speaking from experience.

It's going to be hard, but it'll probably be worth it. Some of the best people I've ever met are Marines, and I'm glad to have them as friends. When you spend 24/7 with someone, well...you get to know them. Going back to civilian life is definitely hard, and something I found I really didn't want to do (but I'm reserve, so oh well!). Leaving the other Marines was hard, you'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJ1234 View Post
    whats bothering me is that my biggest fear is leaving all these people behind for four years and just being forgotten about.
    U are going to forget about them soon enough. I havent spoken with any of my hs friends since joining other than seeing a couple after boot. Out of sight, out of mind. You will make new friends soon enough. If it really bothers you just try to keep in touch as much as possible maybe get that google wave thing or facebook

Quote Originally Posted by commdog7 View Post
    I ain't going to sugarcoat it. You will drift apart, no question.

Me, I have lost all contact with my high school buddies and co-workers. I briefly got in touch with them after I graduated boot camp, but I realized how much I had changed and how pathetic their lives were (seriously), I just didn't care to keep in touch. You'll notice it if you graduate, how worthless civilian life is- Marines can't stand it.

But no worries, you will gain greater friends than you can possibly image when you become a Marine. Marines are like family, I am actually closer to many of the Marines I work with than I am to my own brother. Exchanging the friends you have now for the lasting brotherhood of the Corps is well worth it, trust me.
    I am the same exact way. Dont get me wrong i love my little brother but my family is the Marines i work with. Even in the Marine Corps you will feel the same thing you are feeling now. If you get PCA or PCS order you will feel sad that you are leaving a great group of guys and gals and when you arrive at your new duty station you will have even stronger bonds (least it is for me). When i go home to Boston every now and again i see my "friends" from high school, still working at McDonalds, still selling drugs, still living with their parents at 26 yrs old, it really is pathetic to know ive done more with my life in 7yrs than half the state of Mass (excluding prior Military). Its your life man, you should go with what you feel is right for you, if they really are your friends they will encourage you and support you through this. As far as the whole party drinking girls scene, lol it doesnt change in the Corps. Only difference is as a civilian you might think dancing with your buddies is gay but as a Marine dancing with your buddies is mad funny and a good time.

You will want to go home a lot that first year or so, but after that, you'll start wanting to go home with your fellow Marines (or vice versa). You will start pulling some skirts around your base and get all interested in them.

Boot will suck. You'll convince yourself that those people back home are the most important people in the world, but that will pass.

I knew total bad @sses that couldn't wait to get out and go back home, and I knew others that extended or re-enlisted. You'll never know until you get there.

I was going to be a lifer, but got caught up the cut-backs of Bush Sr's reign as CIC. I actually had 46 days left in the Corps before I realized I was getting out.

Always try to be the baddest motha you can be, and you'll be just fine. Forget about mommy's nipple, and get ready for the ride of your lifetime.

Best of luck.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I can't even explain to you, how helpful all this was lol. Thanks Marines just found a whole new level of motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJ1234 View Post
    Hello Marines i was very hesitant on asking this question because it portrays the image that im not 100% set with my decision of become a Marine and that is not true at all. Then again ask a Marine is here for guidance so i would like some advice.

Ive wanted to be a Marine since i was 16 im 21 now. I was going to join when i was 17 but i got too involved with girls and the "party scene" so to speak so i went to school and held it off until now. I know that im leaving very soon im very physically fit and excited to go to MCRD PI and whats bothering me is that my biggest fear is leaving all these people behind for four years and just being forgotten about. I consider myself a strong person in all aspects of the word and also consider that a reason why i would be right in choosing to serve in the Corps. Some days im unbelievably motivated and wanted to go to Parris Island that second and other days when im with all the people in my life the motivation is still there but it begins to bother me. You have all had to do this so id like to hear how you Marines dealt with it. Thank you very much.

~Jason
    Don't worry about the girls Jody is always there to take care of your homework.

I agree with my Brothers, take the plunge and you'll never regret it!

The experiences will build and build and you will always be glad you became a Marine! Life is short, do your best and become a Marine, the rest will come along.

Thread Information