A little Advice.
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

A little Advice.

Hey Marines. Names Aaron. Just hoping for a little advice here. I was turned down a few days ago because of 3 possession charges. 2 as a juvenile and 1 as an adult. I am currently 19 years old. The last one was only around 1 year ago (currently serving probation.) I was told that maybe in the future (1-10 years) I might be able to get in...The Recruiter said the way it works is 6 months ago they would have almost guaranteed me, but now the way things are they can't do it. Fluctuates so to speak

the recruiter told me to still come out and work out with him and the (Poolees) on saturday mornings.

He also told me to get involved in more community service...I'm asking for any advice, but mainly I'd like the Marines with my type of background to give me a little more advice on how they or a Marine they know got in with this type of charge. Should I just every so often casually ask him if they could check it out again. The Recruiter seemed to fight for me the best he could but the Higher Power said no. Anyways...How else can I better myself and my community to show that this is what I want to do with my life?

Again any and all advice will be taken to heart but I'd like the Marines with former backgrounds similar to mine to step forward and really...Help a brother out

Thanks Marines

-Aaron

Recruiting is impossible to fully understand these days. Who they let in a few months ago, they may not allow in today. Who they deny today, they may let in a year from now. No one here knows.

The problem is that there is way too many people waiting to enlist, or in the process who do not have your issues. When this happens the USMC can raise their standards, which they have and the USMC is recruiting less people today then it did a year ago.

I don't see you getting in by doing community service or working out with the recruiter or any crap like that. You are either eligible, or you're not, and according to that recruiter, you are not.

One last note..You need to look down the road you are heading. Getting busted as a juvenile and then as a young adult shows a pattern, and very bad decision making skills on your part. Yes we are all entitled to our little ****-ups here and there, but when we keep doing them they lead to much worse things.

I have a little brother who started off his adventures as a juvenile with drug charges, then once he turned 18 he continued and today his ass belongs to the state of CA. I am not saying this is you, but you are heading down a bad path. If you can't get into the military, don't use this as an excuse to get high because eventually all the BS you do will catch up to you.

Credits
    Savings
    You are either eligible, or you're not, and according to that recruiter, you are not.

So does that mean NO for good...or for now?..

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Three possession charges, one as an adult. From my perspective you have a substance abuse problem as well as a rule following problem.

Hope we go to war with Iran, otherwise forget getting into the Corps.

there's a "flavor of the month" going on with recruiting now-a-days. It's all dependent on who's getting out and how badly we need people to join. many RS's are projecting all the way out to next year Sept with only a few slots open. Waivers are not going to be entertained for a while. Maybe next year. The best thing for you to do is hope the economy gets better so people get out looking for work.

Credits
    Savings
    Well everybody was a teenager once right? Yeah I liked "getting high" and didn't really have many plans for a "future" Now being sober and thinking with a clear head, you really get a taste of the real world and what you want to be apart of in this world. I know where I stand and I'm not going to give up this goal until I reach it or they ban me from the recruiter office for being too annoying...Thanks for all the advice and hopefully one day I'll be able to play my part in ensuring American Freedom. Again thanks for all your responses Marines.

-Aaron

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by battlepudge View Post
    Well everybody was a teenager once right? Yeah I liked "getting high" and didn't really have many plans for a "future" Now being sober and thinking with a clear head, you really get a taste of the real world and what you want to be apart of in this world. I know where I stand and I'm not going to give up this goal until I reach it or they ban me from the recruiter office for being too annoying...Thanks for all the advice and hopefully one day I'll be able to play my part in ensuring American Freedom. Again thanks for all your responses Marines.

-Aaron
    Yeah, everyone was a teenager once. But, unlike you, I had a plan for my future early in my life and it didn't include booze, drugs, or law violations.

Being "a teenager once" is no excuse. There was somebody out there telling you "don't do that." But I'll bet you thought you were smarter than they were.

Credits
    Savings
    Now all we need is more people like you and this country would be a better place

Not making any excuse, simply saying that being off the drugs clears up your head and you can take a look back and realize you f***** up and work towards the future. No point in being told "what I did was wrong" I realize that. The only thing I can take from my past is being grateful that I didn't get messed up into some REAL trouble, I've seen classmates (older and younger) being charged with Attempted Murder and Murder and Burglary and all sorts of BS I wont only look back on my past but the past of others and be grateful that I still have a chance to make something of myself, and my life.

Quote Originally Posted by battlepudge View Post
    Now all we need is more people like you and this country would be a better place
    I wouldn't say that. People who judge others based on how they were raised are wrong. Not everyone grows up under the same roof.

Never let anyone make you feel any less of a person because of what you did. As long as you learned and moved forward then life goes on.

And I know you are not making excuses. My point is simple. People with your history have a tendency to repeat the errors you made when things get rough. Make sure this doesn't happen to you.

I'm guessing you're in Mason City, IA. Here is what I dug up, because the first step is going to be an expungement. Yes you will still have to explain what happened, you will probably still have to get a waiver, but it will look more favorable if a judge granted one. Here is what I found on a website:

3. What records may be expunged?

Arrest or disposition data or custody or adjudication data. Custody or adjudication data after the juvenile has reached twenty-one years of age, unless the juvenile was convicted of or pled guilty to a serious or aggravated misdemeanor or felony between age eighteen and age twenty-one. Fingerprint cards received that are used to establish a criminal history data record shall be retained in the automated fingerprint identification system when the criminal history data record is expunged. Iowa Statutes § 692.17.

If judgment has been deferred under section 907.3, the court's criminal record with reference to the deferred judgment shall be expunged. The record maintained by the state court administrator as required by section 907.4 shall not be expunged. Iowa Statutes § 907.9.

Court records of conviction for public intoxication may be expunged if conditions meet (see below). Iowa Statutes § 123.46.

4. Who is eligible for an expungement?

1. A person who was acquitted or whose criminal charges are dismissed. Persons acquitted or dismissed by reason of insanity and records of adjudications of mental incompetence to stand trial in cases in which physical or mental injury or an attempt to commit physical or mental injury occurred are not eligible. Iowa Statutes § 692.17.
    2. A juvenile who has reached twenty-one years of age, unless the juvenile was convicted of or pled guilty to a serious or aggravated misdemeanor or felony between age eighteen and age twenty-one. Iowa Statutes § 692.17.
    3. Upon discharge from probation, a person whose judgment has been deferred under section 907.3. Iowa Statutes § 907.9.
    4. After two years from the of conviction of public intoxication, a person who has had no other criminal convictions, other than simple misdemeanor violations of chapter 321 during the two-year period. Iowa Statutes § 123.46.

So if you fit in there go for it. Also you may not be eligble because you're on probation. All branches frown on that. Get off probation, sometimes its as easy as going before a judge and asking. But I would recommend go thru the probation, get the expungement then try to get back in.

I also say keep working out with the recruiter, keeps your mind off other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    Hope we go to war with Iran, otherwise forget getting into the Corps.

I don't think he's going to be able to get an expungement since he's shown patterns with the behavior. Expungements are typically reserved for 1st time offenders.

you can always join the army and hang around Marines,, thats the closest you will ever get to the fleet....

Quote Originally Posted by marine3043 View Post
    you can always join the army and hang around Marines,, thats the closest you will ever get to the fleet....
    Ha HA HA HA!!! Now that is funny right there!!!

I don't think it'll be incredibly hard for him to get in with 3 misdemeanors.

Thread Information