heart murmur...
Create Post

Thread: heart murmur...

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

heart murmur...

So i went to MEPS today and all was well except they heard a heart murmur. Im going to have to go back for a "consult" with the meps cardiologist. I also have a letter from my own private cardiologist saying that my heart murmur does not physically affect me, nor will it ever and i am in fine condition for the military. I will bring this to my recruiter to send back to meps.

What are the chances that this will get waived? Ive never had a problem with my heart before, its just a mild murmur. I really can not "settle" for another branch of service...i dont want to just join the military, i want to be a Marine. I saw other people getting waived for outrageous things and swearing in today, and it was their first time there! One kid was a mexican immigrant with only a green card, no ssn and barely understood english!! seriously?!

We don't put down anyone because of their nationality. The Marine Corps is one big family.
    As for your condition, we're not Dr's here and I'm sure the Marines who will answer your question will give you the best advice they can, but the only people who can best answer your question is the Dr's at MEPS.

Do you currently have a heart murmur or was it in the past?

I was born with a heart murmur, went away when I was about 10. They made sure it was gone before I was able to start training. Based on my experience, I do not think you can get a waiver for it if you still have it. If your heart isn't thumping right now, the physical demands of boot camp will only make it worse. If it's gone, I don't think you need a waiver for it (I didn't).

I'm not a 100% sure, but if you have it now, you might not be able to join until it goes away on its own.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I had a young Marine in my platoon that had a heart murmur and he was able to do everything that is expected of an infantry Marine. His murmur was diagnosed before entry and was waivered.

However I saw him 20 years later at a reunion and he was grossly obese and was on borderline bad shape because he no longer did exercise and let his health go.

Its up to MEPS but all things are possible.....just keep a copy of your cardiologists documentation preferably the original in case you need it at a later date.

ALL Marines and prospective Marines are green....its a diverse organization...get used to it!

Good luck!

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Im confused now...my letter from the cardiologist states "...he has a bicuspid aortic valve that causes no hematologic embarrassment. His heart condition is and always will be perceived as normal...." He also briefly explains that i am fit for military service or any physical activity with no problem.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...ry/a/heart.htm

That states that a bicuspid aortic valve is not disqualifying, unless there are some of those listed problems associated with it..none of which i have. So should i be good to go?

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Your best bet would be to wait for the consult with MEPS....take your paperwork and maybe print out what you found to use as reserve ammunition...if need be...and see what that sawbones has to say.

You can speculate and worry until that time comes...however it will not do you any good.

It may create other problems.....show the doctor your letter and go from there.

Depending on how long you have to wait and your financial situation you may consider having your cardiologist do a stress test again to use as reserve or for peace of mind.

Good luck!

We can't tell you if the Corps will let you in or not, only MEPS can tell you that.

Thread Information