Why everyone should own an AK
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Credits
    Savings
    BR, what did you have to shell out for yours?

Mine were cheap, cause they were imported in "sporter" configuration from Russia. So, I had to convert them back to AK specs (moved the fire control group forward, different stock, different grip, different mags, all American made parts to make it 922r compliant).

I paid 600 bucks for my 12 gauge AK, and 400 bucks for my .223 AK. Spent about 150 dollars on each for their conversion. I'd love to have a full auto AK but I don't have the patience to wait.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I like my HK-91 much better. I've run it through the mill and never had a malfunction due to dirt or use. The 7.62mm NATO ammo is common and more powerful than 7.72x39.

BR did/does your Sportster have a single stack magwell or the double stack(high capacity)? I have a Romanian single stack that I would like to widen out to accept the 30 round mags like my other SAR-1 which can hold the 30 round mag, I have a 40 round mag for it, makes me look like Rambo..lol j/k. Can you legally mill out the magwell on those?

Quote Originally Posted by Supersquishy View Post
    BR did/does your Sportster have a single stack magwell or the double stack(high capacity)? I have a Romanian single stack that I would like to widen out to accept the 30 round mags like my other SAR-1 which can hold the 30 round mag, I have a 40 round mag for it, makes me look like Rambo..lol j/k. Can you legally mill out the magwell on those?
    The .223 is dbl stack. The 12 gauge doesn't, because the shells are so big. I do have a 10 rnd and a 12 rnd mag for the 12 gauge that makes it look absolutely ridiculous though.

You can legally do pretty much anything to them that you want (if you aren't in Cali), with the exception of altering the fire control group to fire automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    I like my HK-91 much better. I've run it through the mill and never had a malfunction due to dirt or use. The 7.62mm NATO ammo is common and more powerful than 7.72x39.
    That's 7.62x39. But you are correct, no one will argue that the .308 isn't a better round than the 7.62 Russian.

That's why my next AK (hopefully in a few months) will be one of these:

.308 AK.

Credits
    Savings
    BR, what would be the price of the .308 AK?

Are they fairly easy to find?

They are easy to find, sort of. As I said, they are imported in sporter configuration, so you'd have to start out with one of these, for about 500 bucks.

From there you can add/replace parts to convert it back to it's original specs. That would cost you about 100-200 bucks, depending on what you want to do with it.

Here's one site you can buy them from.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/SAI-308.aspx

The conversion is pretty simple, as long as you have some basic tools and basic handi skills. I can walk you through it if you decide to do it. Shouldn't take longer than 2 hours. In the end you'll probably be looking at a total of about 630 bucks to have it.

Credits
    Savings
    Butt, pistol grip, trigger, sight(?).

OK, what else did I miss?

... and this is the .308?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Big Al I'll just loan You my Galil in Nato7.62,with the Paratrooper folding stock,I'll just stick with my Ruger Mini 30 or My E-Tool

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by FistFu68 View Post
    Big Al I'll just loan You my Galil in Nato7.62,with the Paratrooper folding stock,I'll just stick with my Ruger Mini 30 or My E-Tool
    That'll work Jack. Did I ever tell you I had a Black Belt in E-Tool?

Say, didn't you say once you kept a bit of firepower next to the bed?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BR34 View Post
    That's 7.62x39. But you are correct, no one will argue that the .308 isn't a better round than the 7.62 Russian.

That's why my next AK (hopefully in a few months) will be one of these:

.308 AK.
    Yes, I made a typo.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlHolmes165 View Post
    Butt, pistol grip, trigger, sight(?).

OK, what else did I miss?

... and this is the .308?
    Yes, you would have to get the butt, grip, grip screw and nut, trigger guard (or you can reshape, and reuse the original trigger guard), trigger and hammer. The trigger and hammer come together for appx 30 bucks, the butt can be as cheap as 30 bucks on up to 200 dollars. Pistol grips from 15 to 50. The sights are already good to go, standard AK sights. HK makes a weld on sight you can have put on but I think it's like 100 dollars.

The .308 and .223M are the easiest to convert because there's already a hole cut for the pistol grip, under the trigger guard, and there's no need to drill out the rivets like on the other models. It's a sinch!

And yes, this is the .308, you can tell by how big the magazine is.

Here's what my .223 looked like after I took the trigger guard plate and fire control group out.

The hole you see closest to the magazine well is were the fire control group was originally designed to go. The hole further back, closer to where the butt stock would be is where the trigger is in "sporter" configuration. Converting this back to AK specs is basically just moving the trigger from that rear hole up to the hole near the mag well.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I got one under tha' Bed,one under the Pillow next too Me.Actually have one in every room of My house.Both Master Bathrooms,Garage;when I take a bath I keep my Tarus Judge in a Plastic Bag on the rim of the Tub.But I always take my Wooden Handled Razor sharp E-Tool with ME whichever room I'm In usually slide it under furniture I'm sitting in So don't wanna have Company thinking I'm a 1% er

Thread Information