Transitioning to Civilian Life
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Transitioning to Civilian Life

Hey everyone, I just have a couple questions for some other Marines who might have experience what I, and I'm sure, many other Marines are going through.

I just got back home from MP school as a reservist. I've been home for about 3 weeks now, and my emotions are torn...I really don't know what to do! I initially decided a week or two off work would be a smart idea and help me transition back to the civilian world. Things are SO much different, but doesn't seem too bad...

Well, like I said, I'm on week 3 now, and I'm finding life harder everyday. I had an old job at a local grocery store, and had plans to go back after my training was over. Well, I got back home and really didn't want to go back to that low-paying, dead-end job with people I don't really care about. So, being proactive, I started searching for a new job, and I found a security firm that is looking for a security guard. Cool, a security job that MIGHT use something I was taught...

Well, I'm still waiting on them to call me back. I can't seem to find a job, I'm currently not enrolled in school (though I will start with the upcoming semester), and I just applied for the Tri-Care Reserve Select health care plan.

Basically, I feel lost and out-of-place in this different "world." Everything is different, people don't understand anything military, I now have less emotions, I'm much more angry, and much more short-tempered. I find myself not being able to deal with people and them making me very mad, very easily.

Is all this normal? Will I "get back into things" or should I just consider going active? I thought the reservist life was going to be good...back home with family and old friends. Well, it's turning out to not be so dandy...I have no income and people don't understand me anymore. I get ****ed off easily and find myself wanting to go-off on people much more than I used too.

Thanks Marines

It's going to happen. As a reservist myself, I know what that is like. But that's what you get when you sign up to be a weekend warrior. You just have to let a lot of things slide. It's going to take you a lot longer than 3 weeks to adujst, Marine. But once you find your groove, attend a couple drills, find a job, and especially start college, it will get easier.

Keep yourself busy, Marine. The more time you have to just sit around, the worse off you will be.

S/F

Yea, I think that's the problem...so I'll be glad once school starts. I just sit at home all day and don't do anything...obviously being in training I was so active, it's just a drastic change.

SF

Don't worry. What you're going through is normal.

This too shall pass.

S/F

you can still be active warrior. don't get fat like some of the tampons around here. find a job, take classes and get a gym membership. stay away from "that" crowd.

What are your goals? If you don't want to be in the Marine Corps for an extended period of time...you just want the experience to, say, deploy once or twice to support your country, you may want to consider going AD. If you have no real long term goals with the Corps, then a 4 and out is probably the way to go. Often times, in the reserves, one feels they are treading water and getting nothing accomplished. Drill weekends are filled with visits to medical, sitting around, admin issues, annual classes and green-side training. You will not do too much of your job, as the necessities required of being a Marine will take up probably 70% or more of your drill time. For jobs requiring detailed skills, like a mech. or RO, it will be difficult to maintain MOS proficiency if you don't do a similar job on the civilian world.

Regardless, as others mentioned, you will almost certainly adjust. It was this adjustment, however, that led to my dissatisfaction with Reserve duty in my initial MOS.

College will be a challenge for you. I went to school both before and after being a Marine. The lack of discipline in an average college classroom will drive you absolutely crazy!

Good luck in all things, and don't worry. Everything is what you make of it. As a Marine, you should have no problem making the best of your situation/s
    S/F
    Adam

Also, if the civ job doesn't cut it, talk to your command about going Active Reserve. work at your drill center like the I&I staff. It's always an option.

Thanks Marines, I'll look into it. My goals are to become a civilian police officer in the next few years. The reason why I can't get an LEO job yet is because I need at least my AA degree and the academy...so that's why I'm going back and finishing school.

Also, security jobs (that's what I'm looking for) are hard to get around here...most places only hire 21+ and/or have at least an AA degree...well I'm only 20, and I'm WAY over qualified for any "sub-par" jobs. I have a lot of certifications, certificates, and achievements for only being 20, I know what I want...I just have to wait to achieve it. And being a Marine only adds to my list...

Quote Originally Posted by hussaf View Post
    Drill weekends are filled with visits to medical, sitting around, admin issues, annual classes and green-side training. You will not do too much of your job, as the necessities required of being a Marine will take up probably 70% or more of your drill time.

My drills constist of PT, armor ID, system training, firing procedures, mock PFT/CFT. Different units do different things. Not all units sit around and do nothing.

Polizei, if your unit just sits around and does nothing, don't be afraid to be the motivated one and kick a class or something. That stuff will get noticed. And with a reserve unit, getting noticed isn't a bad thing. Meritorious promotion in the reserves is difficult, but not unheard of.

Stick with it, Marine.

S/f

I'm having the same problems Polizei, ever since I got out of wrecker school, I've been bored ever since. I had a year and a half of active time, and now its all over with and don't really know what to do as of now. On average, I put 1000mi on my car a week, just from being bored and driving to random places at high speeds. I don't think that will last long down here, considering the amount of retards who don't know how to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by MLMonk View Post
    I'm having the same problems Polizei, ever since I got out of wrecker school, I've been bored ever since. I had a year and a half of active time, and now its all over with and don't really know what to do as of now. On average, I put 1000mi on my car a week, just from being bored and driving to random places at high speeds. I don't think that will last long down here, considering the amount of retards who don't know how to drive.
    If it's that bad, talk to your chain of command about going Active Reserve or see who is deploying and augment with them.

There is always something to do. Complacency kills Marine.

Hey brother, don't get too riled up. I'm not sure where you live, but good police jobs are hard to come by. One friend of mine (reservist SSgt) waited about 4 years to get in (state police) and another (former AD SSgt) just got a local PD job after trying for about two years (chicago area).

By security jobs, if you mean jobs requiring a security clearance, than age can sometimes have a factor. If you mean an actual security job, understand that it is typically not too glorious (often AD guys who f-up are punished by being FAPD to security detail...FORCEPRO is often a sexy word attached to gate guard or something similar). Regardless, make sure you are taking a job you feel comfortable with taking. Don't let others push you into it.
    SF
    Adam

Hey MONK. I know the FL Highway Patrol is hiring you can take your frustrations out on civilians. Or you guys could find a unit that is getting ready to deploy and request attachment, Im sure you've always wanted to see Asscrackistan this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersquishy View Post
    Hey MONK. I know the FL Highway Patrol is hiring you can take your frustrations out on civilians. Or you guys could find a unit that is getting ready to deploy and request attachment, Im sure you've always wanted to see Asscrackistan this time of year.
    Hey, thanks for that, I just applied, and I just barely qualified for the job, lol. Hopefully they will accept the application.

Quote Originally Posted by MLMonk View Post
    Hey, thanks for that, I just applied, and I just barely qualified for the job, lol. Hopefully they will accept the application.
    Their going to send you a packet to fill out, make damn sure you fill everything out properly and DO NOT withhold any info! They will set up a schedule to do the CJBAT and PAT Test (easy).

Thread Information