Is it normal.. - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it normal..

Times have changed. The recruiters are not trying to sell the Corps to you, you are trying to sell yourself to the Corps- think in that mentality. You have to show them why the Corps should invest in you, not the other way around. If they are impressed with what they see, they might just offer you a contract. Good Luck.

The Captain gave you the correct advice. He told you to keep trying and not to take "NO" for an answer. Remember you are a guest here...you came to an "ask a Marine" forum, some of the answers you get you may like, some you may not. Be thankful that a Captain took time to "redirect" you.
    For the record...I took your post as whining as well.

@Commdog7 - Thanks, that's something that didn't come to my mind! Will do!

@amarine0311 - I already explained the situation, and my gratitude extends to both enlisted and officer personnel, for giving either negative or positive or neutral input, but I didn't say 'I quit' or that I am taking NO for an answer, nor do I have an intention of doing so. I know my place here (and in relation to the USMC), so out of respect I came for the correct Course Of Action (didn't mean to rhyme), that's all.

Whining = wrong expression.

Borknagar:

If I were a young man and walked into a Marine Corps Recruiting Office and was treated as you claim to have been treated, I would walk next door and sign on the dotted line for the Air Force.

The Marine Corps at the present time is going through some good time with young people enlisting for whatever reason. I will guarantee that if you go into an Air Force Recruiting Office, you will not be treated like ****. You will be treated as the adult that you are.

It also could have been that the Marine Recruiters that you tried to talk to were having PMS and forgot to conduct themselves as they were taught.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    Borknagar:

If I were a young man and walked into a Marine Corps Recruiting Office and was treated as you claim to have been treated, I would walk next door and sign on the dotted line for the Air Force.

The Marine Corps at the present time is going through some good time with young people enlisting for whatever reason. I will guarantee that if you go into an Air Force Recruiting Office, you will not be treated like ****. You will be treated as the adult that you are.

It also could have been that the Marine Recruiters that you tried to talk to were having PMS and forgot to conduct themselves as they were taught.
    Couldnt agree more Old Marine!!

I have read through this a few times and still do not see where "whining" is even displayed in his first post or even responses. What I do see is someone who obviously has done his homework prior to walking in, it is apparent in the verbiage and knowledge of what he was expecting which did not match what he received.

He sounds mature enough to make the right decision and take the advice that was given in sincerity as well as ignore the cheap jabs.

Old Marine's advice is spot on.

I agree with Old Marine 100%. When I read your post, my first reaction was "these recruiters seem lax as all get out..." The way you were treated seems pretty unsat, but I don't know what recruiters go through. I assume it is very stressful... anyways, explore all other military branches before making a decision. I did. Don't join the Corps on stereotypes and presumptions. Doesn't prove you are a man. Please refer to the thread on SSG Viles titled "let's put our differences aside... (or "let's put our rivalries aside"...)
    btw, do you have any college credits? This may be another factor. I have heard that the Corps is being so selective, that you can't even enlist unless you have about 15 credit hours of college courses. Just a thought.
    There wasn't any whining in your post. Sounds like you were let down by expecting high standards of excellence and discipline. What you encountered is not what you expected... this is why I say don't join the Corps blindly on presumptions and stereotypes.

@temarti and MotherGoose - I am glad you see it the way I meant it to be seen - and as you concluded, I did expect a lot, or more at least, from what I've heard, what I've seen and read (specially here on the forums), and last but not least the impression I had since I was a child... It all started with G.I. Joe btw., and discovering the story behind the actual Joe, who he was, what he did, and what affected me personally and could relate to, his ethnic origin! So, I was kind of let down and got lost right off the bat, but that's ok, I don't take that as a representation of the Corps nor do I think they are bad people - but obviously something went wrong with either them or me, but I'm past that.

Next course of action is, I am going there on Monday or after (depending on when the NCOIC comes back), just to get things straight, and see where I stand!

I appreciate all of the advices and thoughts, I did my research on the other branches (I actually did all of my homework a long time ago, but family tragedy prevented me from signing up 4-5 years ago), and I already know that both that the Air Force and Army have not only jobs that I would love, but they in a way cater to an enlistee's needs, possible overseas posts (Germany for example - a chance to work directly with the Bundeswehr, travel, get acquainted with another culture..), easier living conditions (so far), faster promotions (sometimes for no real or good reason), and also, how crazy is that you know your exact MOS before you sign your contract and swear in?!?!? Not just that, even though your MOS might not require it EVER, I could request 'perks' if I may put it that way, for example Airborne school, on my contract (subject to availability, other restrictions apply)..

To conclude this post, and not get off topic, I know I won't quit and that's all I can say know, without trying to prolong this philosophy and turn it into a daytime special (starring Lorenzo Lamas) or make it about my dreams and wishes (except I have none)!

I will read that thread that you suggested, even though I researched on the net more about the 'rivalries' and pros and cons (not defecting, but doesn't hurt to know, the other side..).. One thing I am interested is, and not get too jambalaya, is opinions and points of view from you Marines at that very issue - 'rivalries' - if your are reading this topic, or are generally bored on the forums, and have extra time and energy to educate/share experiences with me!

Thanks!

P.S. Forgot to mention, as of now, I do have 22 semester units.

P.P.S. Another thing, just for general reference, I am aware that one doesn't need a patch, badge, rank, insignia, hashmarks/chevrons on my sleeve, collar, cover or shoulder to make one a man with honor, courage and commitment - we need to be this as men first, the rest will follow..

Update - I will be sealing the deal, if I may say so, sometime next week!
    I went above and beyond, and will most likely be working with a recruiter from another state (Nevada) - got in touch with him through a friend of mine, which happens to be a Marine Reservist! And on top of that, they are able to offer me pretty much what I wanted - AD!

Thread Information