Best language to learn
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best language to learn

Given our current conflicts overseas, what do you think would be the best language to learn. I've always liked other languages and have all the rosetta stone languages and am curious as to which language would be best suited for todays conflicts. They offer 30 languages but the ones that stand out are

Arabic
    Pashto
    Persian (Farsi)

Thank you Marines.

Last edited by thedrifter; 10-08-09 at 10:17 AM.

I would go with Arabic if I were you. It is spoken in many different countries all around the world, and particularly with the conflicts in the Middle-East, it would be a very useful language to learn. Even out here in Ireland I see Arabic... it would be nice to know what it means.

Arabic for your current language, if in the future and you decide to make a career doing something else in business, Chinese or Japanese are always in high demand.

Last edited by temarti; 10-08-09 at 09:45 AM. Reason: can't spell Arabic

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Best language to learn

ENGLISH!

No I would have to agree...Arabic.

Coming from an Arabic linguist, of those, Pashto.
    Or Dari if it's available. There are very few non-native speakers of those languages.

Credits
    Savings
    well, Persian (Farsi) is the most popular language in Afghanistan. Pashto is a close second. So given that, I'd go with Persian (Farsi). Thats what I just ordered tonight. I've got 7 months to learn as much as I can lol. I hope Rosetta Stone is as good as they say they are!

Go with what Sgt 1stRad advises...he's BTDT and got the Tshirt for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stRad2671 View Post
    Coming from an Arabic linguist, of those, Pashto.
    Or Dari if it's available. There are very few non-native speakers of those languages.

As a former ling, and friend to many current lings, the above statment is correct.

Well the flip side of that is Obama wants us out of AF in 18 months. If you can get proficient at Pashto in 18 months, you are the sh*t! My unit is pushing pashto classes, and they are tough. Arabic, I think, is the most widely spoken language in the world (but MSA is not spoken that well by rural folks). So it can never hurt to know it. But like others said...Pashto, Dari, Farsi have a small group of US speakers so you will be in demand. If you want to do other government or contract work post-military obligations, I would go with Pashto or Dari.

When September 11th happened, I think there were only two Dari speakers in all of the CIA's DO...at least that's what I read in a book.

Well, anything that is spoken in Afghanistan would be helpful to you.
    -Pashto
    -Dari
    -Farsi (Persian)

Farsi is also spoken in Iran which could be useful. Pashto is spoken in part of Pakistan which could be helpful. Pashto is not spoken by many people at all, whereas Farsi is spoken by more and more widely used.

I would suggest Farsi. With Farsi after becoming fluent you can probably test out in Dari also, or take a conversion course and become proficient in Dari fairly quickly. As far as Pashto goes, don't use Rosetta Stone to learn it because Rosetta Stones Pashto program isn't correct. A lot of the words are wrong in it.

BTW I am a linguist so that is how I know.

The "northern" dialect of Korean

I get paid $300/month for Russian.

Quote Originally Posted by Donut Brigade View Post
    I get paid $300/month for Russian.
    Tell you what, people in Afghanistan who were alive in the 70's-80's will definitely respond to stuff yelled at them in Russian!

Quote Originally Posted by MossMC View Post
    Well, anything that is spoken in Afghanistan would be helpful to you.
    -Pashto
    -Dari
    -Farsi (Persian)

Farsi is also spoken in Iran which could be useful. Pashto is spoken in part of Pakistan which could be helpful. Pashto is not spoken by many people at all, whereas Farsi is spoken by more and more widely used.

I would suggest Farsi. With Farsi after becoming fluent you can probably test out in Dari also, or take a conversion course and become proficient in Dari fairly quickly. As far as Pashto goes, don't use Rosetta Stone to learn it because Rosetta Stones Pashto program isn't correct. A lot of the words are wrong in it.

BTW I am a linguist so that is how I know.
    I just saw that Marine Net has Pashto earlier today....with that recommendation I won't waste my time with it. Thanks.

If you want to learn Pashto there are some ways to learn it, you can PM me if you are interested....however if you aren't a Marine, you can't use the resources.

Thread Information