Reenlistment after misdiagnosed asthma
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Reenlistment after misdiagnosed asthma

Good evening Marines, I have a question I hope I might be able to get some insight on. I enlisted into the DEP March 12 of last year (2008), and left for MCRD San Diego August 25. I got sick like many do, and didnt go to medical early on like I more than likely should have, and the sickness progressed into what was later diagnosed at medical as an upper respitory infection. They gave me some meds, and sent me back to my training platoon and said I needed to go to the Naval Medical center to get checked for asthma the next Thursday. I was taken to the NMC as planned, and the doctors performed a Pulmonary functions test, which came up as being positive for asthma, and I was recommended for ELS. My battalion exec sent me back to the NMC to get re-evaluated due to my run times, and the doctors again recommended ELS due to asthma severe enough to restrict me from training. I left for home October 1 and was given med fraud because I marked no on asthma at MEPS.

Since, I have gotten back into touch with my recruiter, as I want nothing more than to rejoin to finish training and uphold the oath that I swore. I was told I needed to get a PFT done at home to prove that I in fact do not have asthma, and did so. The results came up negative, and I got the medical results to my recruiter. I was then told I needed my complete medical history since birth to further prove no past diagnosis or problems related to respitory problems such as asthma, and did so. My recruiter said he had submitted all the documents to MEPS and that I would need to wait while the documents were reviewed. It's been nearly two months since I heard anything as far as how to, or if I can, further my progress of reenlistment.

My question is basically, is there anything further I can do to help my reenlistment along, or if I can at all. I cannot remember off the top of my head what RE-code I was given as my discharge paperwork was in the envelope submitted to MEPS for reviewing, and I don't want to say an RE-code and have it be false information. If anyone can give me any information at all, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Marines for your time, and everything you do every day.

It would be great if you'd fill out the rest of your profile so that Marines who are going to answer your questions know who they are talking too...and read the rules in the Poolee & Ask A Marine forums.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you for your time Marine, and I apologize for not completely filling out my profile. I went through and did complete it after reading your post, and also went through and read the rules on the forum as well. I understand that not doing so prior to posting was violating rules of the forum, and I apologize. Thanks again for your time in posting.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Asthma, sore knees, pulled groin, constant headaches. All are a freakin crutch and an excuse to not perform up to standards. Don't come to me for a crying towel. You didn't make it because you aren't cut out for it. If you're looking for help on how to circumvent the basic requirements of being a Marine you really are barking up the wrong tree. Natural born sick bay commando.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    Asthma, sore knees, pulled groin, constant headaches. All are a freakin crutch and an excuse to not perform up to standards. Don't come to me for a crying towel. You didn't make it because you aren't cut out for it. If you're looking for help on how to circumvent the basic requirements of being a Marine you really are barking up the wrong tree. Natural born sick bay commando.

Except for the asthma part, it sounds like basic daily routine for a recruit.

Seeing at the Marine Corps is full, and recruiters are turning away potential recruits who don't need waivers, I can't see why they would really want to waste time processing a waiver, or why such a waiver would be granted.

Regardless of your background, getting back in is probably impossible at this time. Try the Army.

Go army.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    Except for the asthma part, it sounds like basic daily routine for a recruit.

Seeing at the Marine Corps is full, and recruiters are turning away potential recruits who don't need waivers, I can't see why they would really want to waste time processing a waiver, or why such a waiver would be granted.

Regardless of your background, getting back in is probably impossible at this time. Try the Army.
    Ahh Zulu ... I'm sure you are familiar with the paper trail thing (not implying you but coppers have to do the same thing). Send the lad to sick bay then send him back. Two different assesments. That is hard to beat. Nothing anyone can say on the internet is going to improve his circumstance so we cut the apron strings and take him off the nipple in not so nice a way.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    Ahh Zulu ... I'm sure you are familiar with the paper trail thing (not implying you but coppers have to do the same thing). Send the lad to sick bay then send him back. Two different assesments. That is hard to beat. Nothing anyone can say on the internet is going to improve his circumstance so we cut the apron strings and take him off the nipple in not so nice a way.
    Absolutely correct.

Cue the loud "Pop" sound

Thread Information