MOS 18XX: what is it like?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member reload0024's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

MOS 18XX: what is it like?

Okay I know I want to be a Marine. It has been what I have wanted to do since I was little, and now it is coming time for me to make good on that dream. There are three MOS fields I am interested in. I did a forum search for "1812 MOS" and didn't find a whole lot about it.

If there are any Marines here who can tell me what being in the 18xx occfield is like that would be such a big help! Differences between the two MOS #'s would be cool too.

Thank you in advance.

Also another question, do Marines say "stay frosty" or is that just a creation of the film industry.

Hope this helps some...

UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS Enlisted Job Descriptions and Qualification Factors

FIELD 18, TANK AND ASSAULT AMPHIBIOUS VEHICLE

The tank and assault amphibian vehicle OccFld includes operation, employment, maneuver, and maintenance of tracked vehicles in the combined arms environment during both amphibious assaults and subsequent land operations ashore. Qualifications required include basic mechanical aptitude and the ability to perform harmoniously with others in the confined area inside combat vehicles. The duties involved are incident to the operation, employment, maneuver, and maintenance of tanks and assault amphibious vehicles. Formal schooling is provided to Marines at both the entry level and at the appropriate time in career development. Marines entering this OccFld receive MOS 1800, Basic Tank and Assault Amphibious Vehicle Crewman. After entry into OccFld 18 and assignment of a basic 1800 MOS, personnel specialize in either the M1A1 tank or the assault amphibious vehicle are assigned MOS 1812, or 1833 respectively.
    Below are the Marine Corps Enlisted Military Occupation Specialties which are organized under this occupational field:
    1812 --M1A1 Tank Crewman
    1833 --Assault Amphibious Vehicle (AAV) Crewmember 1834 --Expeditionary Fighting Vehicle (EFV) Crewman

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlis...marinejobs.htm

I was an 1833. It consisted of driving amphibious assault vehicles on the land and in the water, using the M2 and Mk-19 to engage targets, and spending some time on ship. You will learn how to be an AAV operator, an armorer, a mechanic, and a comm guy. You will not actually hold those other three qualifications, but you'll quickly learn how to operate and repair a lot of those systems to do your job.

The 1800 field is classified as combat support. The "combat support" part turned me off a little to the MOS because I joined the Marines for combat. However, I found out "combat support" didn't mean I would be running supplies to those fighting. Much to my satisfaction, 1833 was a combat MOS, and "combat support" meant I would be supporting combat operations, i.e. I would be used to combat the enemy.

Daily life of an 1833 consists of maintaining your AAV. If you get put on a float, you'll board a ship in the water with your AAV (drive your AAV through the ocean to board a ship). If you deploy to the combat zone, you might be turned into a grunt while you're there. I know most or all AAVs were sent back to the units from Iraq. I don't know if they are using them in Afghanistan or not.

I can't tell you about the life of a tanker. But if you want to know more about 1833s, I can probably answer your questions.

Oh, yeah. Don't join for the 1834 MOS. I see the EFV everyday across from where I work, and I'm surprised the program hasn't been scrapped yet. It's still in development and hasn't been fielded yet. I don't even know what they'd do with an 1834 right now since the vehicle essentially doesn't exist.

Hey, Fievel, do you know if the color vision requirement for 1833 is waiverable?

What He Said lol

Yeah I was going to add my two cents in, but Fievel already put the words in my mouth. I was 1833 myself. Now granted I may be saying this just because I was tracks, but AAV's is the best damn job in the Corps. You go where the infantry goes. Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by BR34 View Post
    Hey, Fievel, do you know if the color vision requirement for 1833 is waiverable?
    I honestly don't know.

I did have a Marine in my platoon who was color blind. I don't know if he had a waiver or found some other way through, but it was funny because we had to tell him when to salute oncoming cars since he couldn't distinguish the color of the base decals. We had him saluting a lot of enlisted personnel, usually PFCs and Lance-Corporals. He couldn't figure out why they never returned the salute.

Credits
    Savings
    Yea you know I'd like a job with some variety. I know I say this now as a civilian but I would want to at least see some combat with my rifle, as well as my machine.

I am debating this, artillery, infantry and also intelligence. I was thinking of doing a MOS likely to see combat and then re enlist as intelligence. I want combat yes, and then after I get that I would be okay with a more office type MOS. Ultimately in the (and please correct me if im out of place here) 1st civdiv i want a job within the US Intelligence Community as an analyst, so military intelligence combined with a masters in intelligence which I plan to get should be a good resume base.

Quote Originally Posted by Fievel View Post
    I honestly don't know.

I did have a Marine in my platoon who was color blind. I don't know if he had a waiver or found some other way through, but it was funny because we had to tell him when to salute oncoming cars since he couldn't distinguish the color of the base decals. We had him saluting a lot of enlisted personnel, usually PFCs and Lance-Corporals. He couldn't figure out why they never returned the salute.
    haha classic

if the tracks forgot to mention, you go into the water alot, and also that the AAV'S tend to sink while training...so yeah im a tanker and there's nothing wrong with blowing stuff up, and rollin over the heads of your kill!!!! Yeah you live, learn and everything else you do, you are with your crew. Its only the four of you. Yeah its cramped but in the time of battle you won't be thinking about that. Also you have to be strong enough to lift the rounds. They vary from 65 to 80 lbs. Also yes there is a .50 cal, (2)240 machine guns, we all carry M16's (however there are no "racks" for your weapons). Your 9mm's are holstered. But im not tryin' to blab on so if you have anymore questions feel free to comment me back

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you Marines for taking the time to help me out.
    I am actually going the officer route, I am in contact with my OSO presently.
    I may run into a medical problem which is a huge bummer. The idea of being told sorry it is affecting more than I'd like to admit. But I am giving it all I can and trying anything I can to get in. Keeping honest though, disclosed everything right away.

I hope I make it to OCS!

Armor will certainly be one of my top choices for a branch if I am able to get the chance to pick one day.
    Also artillery is one of my choices because my grandfather was in an Army Artillery Battalion in WWII, but Armor seems to be my favorite!

AAV's Are the Best YAT-YAS

Thread Information