Crash survivor returns home to family, friends
Comments 2 | Recommend 0
October 01, 2009 9:45 PM
BY CHRIS McDANIEL, SUN STAFF WRITER

Roger "Buck" Appleby came home Thursday afternoon to a large gathering of neighbors, friends, Marines and family following months of surgery and hospitalization.

Appleby was injured June 19 near Yuma Proving Ground when his motorcycle ran off Highway 95. He suffered three broken neck vertebrae, two broken vertebrae around his shoulders and five broken vertebrae in his lower back.

Appleby's injuries were so severe his doctors said he would probably be completely paralyzed and didn't think he could ever be released to return home. Buck, who can move his arms a little now, is glad they were wrong.

"I will walk again," Appleby said. "It may take a few months or it may take a year, but I’m determined."

Appleby said he didn't want to stop doing the physical therapy treatments at the Phoenix hospital, but a lack of money got in the way.

"I was apprehensive about coming home, because of the fact that I was getting such good care at the hospital and I wanted to keep up with the therapy. But because of the insurance company, I couldn't do that."

Appleby said he understands it will take serious effort to walk again.

"I very much look forward to being home and doing my therapy here. I understand that I have extended therapy here in Yuma, so everything should be up to snuff before long."

Appleby's daughter, Glenda Hazlett, said the doctors were amazed by her father's progression.

"Doctors told the family that he would probably never be able to come home, but he has made excellent progress and they released him. They told us that he might not be able to breath on his own, but now he is."

Appleby's second daughter, Tina Kiser, said the family will be able to care for him and give him support during the next difficult phase of his recovery.

"We are very excited to have him home, and we are hopeful he will eventually be able to move more on his own. The goal is a full recovery but everyday is a different day and every step is a baby step."

Appleby's wife Sherry said she has faith her husband will walk again.

"The doctors gave us a very negative prognosis, but I think he is going to walk again. Once we get him into rehabilitation it will just be a matter of time."

Sherry stayed next to her husband's side during his hospital stay over the last several months, and was grateful to be back in Yuma.

"You don't know how glad I am to be home, it has been 101 days since we have been here," she said.

While Appleby was away, his family and friends spent long hours remodeling his house to make it handicapped accessible.

"It feels great to be home, and all the renovations that have been done to my house while I was gone so I can get around in my wheelchair are just fantastic," he said.

Sherry is grateful for the support she has received during her family's time of crisis.

"The house was completely gutted and rebuilt so he could get in, otherwise he wouldn't have been able to come home. There were so many people who helped. Thank you Yuma for the support, and keep the prayers coming."

When asked if he would ever get on a motorcycle again once he can walk Appleby said, "Yep, sure will. It might be a three-wheeler, but I'll get back on it."

----
Chris McDaniel can be reached at cmcdaniel@yumasun.com or 539-6849.

Ellie