Lat Move to Ordinance?
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Lat Move to Ordinance?

I'm in the process of re-enlisting and I plan on doing a lat-move. I want to do something with ordinance, but I don't know what. Ordinance sounds exciting and I feel it may be the best opportunity to get closer to the fight. There's only one problem... 65xx or 2336?

I'll start with 2336 (EOD). This field has always sparked my interest and the re-enlistment bonus is up to 90k last I checked. This one seems to have the greatest potential for me to get as close as possible to actual combat, which is appealing to me. But I realize that most of my time in the mos will be spent in training and I may never actually get to defuse a bomb. Training, training, and more training without the guarantee of actually defusing something doesn't sound fun to me. I want an mos where I'm productive and actually contribute to the mission.

65xx (Aviation Ordinance), on the other hand, sounds kind of fun too. The re-enlistment bonus is 13k and I'm not sure if it's lat-move friendly. In this mos, I will actually be doing something mission essential rather than constantly training. Working with aircraft sounds exciting too. These ol' bones are getting old, and I feel that swinging with the wing would be a good option. But if I wanted to transfer these skills to the civilian world, there isn't many job opportunities available like there is with EOD.

I was hoping I could get more insight on what these mos's entail. I'm a little fuzzy on the actually duties and lifestyle of each mos, particularly 65xx. Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Semper Fidelis

Sgt. I'm just speaking from I know of Navy AO's, and that's that they build up bombs and rockets, service the guns on aircraft and do some small-arms maintenance. I'd imagine Marine AO's do much of the same since they go to the same A-School and learn the same material. But to me it seems like that would get rather boring out in the fleet, i.e. hanging out in a ship's magazine building up bombs, then the good ole' 1,2,3, Lift!

And it wouldn't provide with much to take into the Civilian world. In fact, the Navy college program that is designed to help Sailors transfer their skills in their rate to the civilian world suggests that AO's take business managerial courses which seems completely counterintuitive to me.

Wouldnt you be closer to the fight as being a RO with a FAC unit like Anglico? The Ordies that are with the wing are in the rear at an airbase or airfield, the aircraft are used as a vehicle to transport the weopons to be dropped or shot many miles away.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    WHAT???
    There is NO WAY Commdog posted this!!!
    Old Bones???

Something is happening on this site today!!!

Thanks for the input. I'm sure being an AO would get a little dull after a while, but it sounds like fun building bombs and loading them onto aircraft.

I've worked with FAC Marines before, the job ain't as fun as it looks. I was on a TACP exercise in 29 Palms a little while back, it was cool watching FAC's work for the first day, but it got boring fast. They are more of radio operators than anything else, and that's the mos I'm trying to get away from. I would be happy if I never saw another radio in my life.

And RI, you may not know it, but female Marines age 10x faster in the Corps than in the civilian world. I feel like I'm a 35 yr old lady!

Thanks again for all the help.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I would have never beleived that this is the 22 year old WM MSG SuperMoto Commdog that I know that never calls me RI that posted this.

I guess you never really know.
    Semper Fi,
    Rocky out...

If I remember correctly Marine84 was an AO.
    As a winger assigned to a helo unit the AO's I knew were extremely board, but I also served during peace time.

0- Level ordance, is assigned directly to a sqaudron, does 1-2-3 lift and actaully loads the bombs on the aircraft, and takes the gun systems out. I-level ordance is assigned to a MALS, and delivers ordance to the sqaudron. In a MALS you can be assigned to gun shop, who works on the guns, rack shop who works on bomb racks, AWSE who works on trailers and other support equipment, and Munitions who does the build up of bombs and loads rockets into rocket pods, and munitions also does the deliveries. Being I-level you can also get sent to station ordance which is non-deployable and the most skate job in the Marine Corps.

btw O-level is 6531 and I-level is 6541

Quote Originally Posted by Herm View Post
    0- Level ordance, is assigned directly to a sqaudron, does 1-2-3 lift and actaully loads the bombs on the aircraft, and takes the gun systems out. I-level ordance is assigned to a MALS, and delivers ordance to the sqaudron. In a MALS you can be assigned to gun shop, who works on the guns, rack shop who works on bomb racks, AWSE who works on trailers and other support equipment, and Munitions who does the build up of bombs and loads rockets into rocket pods, and munitions also does the deliveries. Being I-level you can also get sent to station ordance which is non-deployable and the most skate job in the Marine Corps.

btw O-level is 6531 and I-level is 6541
    Are you a 31 or 41? How long are the schools and what's the day-to-day lifestyle like? Does the job suck or is it as exciting as it sounds?

I still haven't made up my mind what I want to lat move into. So many mos's to choose from....

Quote Originally Posted by commdog7 View Post
    Ordinance sounds exciting and I feel it may be the best opportunity to get closer to the fight.
    Are you going to be happy with ordinance when the fighting ends?

Are you a 31 or 41? How long are the schools and what's the day-to-day lifestyle like? Does the job suck or is it as exciting as it sounds?

I still haven't made up my mind what I want to lat move into. So many mos's to choose from....

Im a 41, the shcools not to bad. You go to Pensacola for A school for about 2 months, then from there there you get orders and get to pick I-level or 0-level, for O-level its either helos, witch goes to Pendleton, harriers witch go to cherry point, prowlers in lemore CA, And f-18's in NAS Oceana Virginia. for I-level your either MEU or f-18's all I-level C shchool is at Cherry Point. I cant speak for 0-level, but from what I've seen the work more hours and weekends the I level. As for I-level, day to day is usaully 0700 to about 1700 depending on what shop you get. Munitions sometimes has to make deliveries and pick ups from sqaudron in the wee hours of the night, And early in the morning. As for closer to the fight. We really arent, all though I have met O-level helo instructors with there CARS because they often work out of FARPS, while in Afgahnistan or Iraq.

After A school, you are allowed to choose whether you want I- or O- level? Do you get to pick what aircraft you want to work with or do they just assign you based on the needs of the Corps?

If you are I-level, do you get to work with the birds at all?

Thanks.

After A school, you are allowed to choose whether you want I- or O- level? Do you get to pick what aircraft you want to work with or do they just assign you based on the needs of the Corps?

If you are I-level, do you get to work with the birds at all?

Thanks.
    You get to pick your orders depending on how you do in the class. Top of the class will pick first, but when you do get to pick the orders that you want may not be there. For example when I picked orders I had like 3rd pick, but there was only I-level orders. The class that gradauted 3 days after us only had one I-level order, and the rest O-level Harriers and f-18's. Being I level you really dont get to work close to the birds, just the equipment that goes on them.

commdoggie, EOD is the way to go. It's not all training, there are sooo many ranges you need to go on 'cause un-exploded ordinance (a thumb-clip on a grenade).

and they practice defusing real bombs (right? I heard that before). So yeah, I'd say go for EOD, there's a reason it's high demand right now, you'd be in the suck in a matter of months after finishing MOS school. where as you'd never see anything but the underside of a plane if you went the way of the wing.

besides, your moto-ness would 'cause you to take your own life in the wing environment.

I want to hear about EODdog7 stories.... go for it! then pay me 1,000 dollars for turning you in the right direction. Or you could take me out for lunch...

If your O-level Harrier, you will be loading smurf bombs(small inert) most the time, and inserting CADS.

Every now and then you will load live 500# bombs out at the far end of the field. You will not get to see them blow up at the range.

If you were to go in that field, I would recommend being a Mechanic or Crew chief on helicopters. Shoot, as a crew chief you will/could be a gunner on a Huey shooting up stuff. You will see more and do more than I did. Just don't pick AH-1 you won't get to fly in them.

Thread Information