Remedial Promotion - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hmm. I guess it all depends on the initiative of the higher ups or admin people. Mine along with a few others were lucky enough to have table 2 scores entered correctly, but many Marines in my section are still without their scores and we just passed the training cutoff.

well, I called the clerk personally for my promotion to Cpl and got it that day, if I had gone through the motions it would have taken months.

knew a kid trying to do it later on about a year later and the Sgt was going nuts trying to get admin to promote the kid, I walked to the nearest phone called the GPAC clerk and got him promoted in 3 min... they just had to get the warrent. The Sgt was so impressed he never talked to me again.. haha, made me feel good.

If that is the case, then how do I go about getting a hold of GPAC? If this can be taken care of a few min then might as well give it a try. I am with a reserve unit at Miramar.

well that's just it, you can't. Reserves works different.

You guys have to have it go all the way up to MarForRes if I'm not mistaken, which acts as your GPAC.

Then this process does take a while I'm guessing. Anything that has to go up that far seems to take forever.

yeah, it does take time. Keep me posted.

So no developments on this at all. Seems like the admin section doesn't like to follow up as much as I do. The cutting scores just updated again the other day and as I expected I am number 1 on the list. If the promotion is open for January I will get it,but since I rate a promotion for October... What do I do? Part of this process was to submit a re-computation of composite score for October so they could do a remedial promotion. Now that January promotions are coming up, what do I do? I was told this was sent to HQMC in late October and no one has any information. At what point does it become possible for request mast?

you fight for the remedial because there is back pay involved and when your promotion for SSgt comes around these three months could make the difference of you being in the promotion zone or not.

I had to get a remedial promotion when I was on active duty. It took about 3 weeks and I was promoted at the following month promotion ceremony and got back pay. I had my PLT Sgt and my former MSgt working with my S-1 to get it all squared away. It something that you need to keep nagging them about or else they wont do it.

Exactly. My only competition is another Marine that was promoted October 1st. The last person to get promoted to Sgt was like 3 years ago and he is now in the IRR. By the time I am eligible for promotion there will be NO Sgts in the reserves in my MOS that will be even close. I got word today that HQMC denied my remedial promotion because they calculated my score as a 1720 which is below the cutting score. I had to call and get this information, which makes me wonder how long my S1 has known and not said anything... I have done this calculation several times based on the conversion charts in the enlisted promotions manual. They have calculated my TIG as 26 months, I was promoted 20061001, 36 Months... joined the Marine Corps 20040419, 65 Months (as of October)... Average Pro Con 4.6/4.5, PFT 265, RIfle 285 That's 4.8 and 4.2 Average 4.5 So 450 Pts. MCIs 100. So... (36*5)+(65*2)+450+460+450+100=1770...
    So, I just filled out my request mast form and attached my education page, BIR, BTR, the PAR i submitted way back when for the recompute, and the 2 training rosters from the rifle scores. Would attach my darn contract if I had copies. HA. So any tips or Dos/ Donts? I am going to fax in all the paperwork tomorrow. I would not even consider this action if it wasn't for the process taking so long and January promotion coming up. I am the top of the list, and will get the promotion in January taking it away from someone else. I really don't want to see my admin section screw 2 people out of being promoted...

don't worry about that, they'll catch up the following quarter. You didn't seem to factor in your CFT. You add the x.x number of the PFT with the x.x number of the CFT multiply by a hundred and you's good.

I didn't do a CFT until December so it would not have been included. It's all good though, apparently it is being brought up to some senior SNCOs tomorrow. Maybe they will just make that phone call instead of trying to send it back to HQMC.

I have somewhat of an update...
    Now that the cutting scores have been posted, I have been selected for promotion for January. My admin shop that has been dealing with the remedial gave me the number to HQMC enlisted promotions (This is available online on the Manpower site...) so I can go over my score with them. Now they are telling me the correct score which does put me above the cutting score for October. Now I just have to wait until they put it all in the system and I'm home free...

Update:
    After going over my score with HQMC, finding the error from the first compute and coming up with a score higher than the cutting score... a backdated promotion was put in the unit diary the next day. A process which took 3 months to go through ended up being solved by myself in a 15 min phone call. At least now I know things really work, and can go about solving it much faster for another Marine who might be in this situation.

Thread Information