To mustang or not to mustang? Advice please!
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question To mustang or not to mustang? Advice please!

So, I've been out of the Corps for a little over a year now. Lately I've been realizing how much I miss it. After a year of school and civilian life, I no longer feel challenged. I'm holding a 3.96 GPA in college, and live in a nice apartment with my girlfriend. Everythings is fine and dandy. But, I just feel like there's something missing.

So, I wandered into the local officer selection office yesterday, and talked to a couple Marines there. They hooked me up with a packet to fill out and gave me the info on what I'd need to do to earn a commission. Basically, I'd attend Platoon Leader's Course at Quantico this summer for 6 weeks, then complete my junior year of school, then complete another 6 weeks at PLC the following summer, and then graduate from college. Upon graduation, I would have the choice of accepting or rejecting my commission.

I'm really on the fence about this. Currently in Michigan, it's next to impossible to find a job in law enforcement. My professors, though, seem to think the job market will be opening up in the next couple of years. I know that the Marine Corps is and always will be my family, and I often get the feeling that my four year enlistment just wasn't enough.

I don't think I'd re-enlist, mostly for monetary reasons. If I go officer, that's going to be my career, and I will be supporting my family. If I do decide to go through with this, I need to start working my PFT score and getting it into the 250-260ish range, go to MEPS, and get my paperwork started.

I would like to know my fellow Marine's opinions on this. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of situation? Any advice, insight, recommendations, etc is greatly appreciated brothers.

Thanks and Semper Fi!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sorta sounds like you're ready to go. Career?? Why the heck not?

Quote Originally Posted by Juicemang View Post
    So, I've been out of the Corps for a little over a year now. Lately I've been realizing how much I miss it. After a year of school and civilian life, I no longer feel challenged. I'm holding a 3.96 GPA in college, and live in a nice apartment with my girlfriend. Everythings is fine and dandy. But, I just feel like there's something missing.

So, I wandered into the local officer selection office yesterday, and talked to a couple Marines there. They hooked me up with a packet to fill out and gave me the info on what I'd need to do to earn a commission. Basically, I'd attend Platoon Leader's Course at Quantico this summer for 6 weeks, then complete my junior year of school, then complete another 6 weeks at PLC the following summer, and then graduate from college. Upon graduation, I would have the choice of accepting or rejecting my commission.

I'm really on the fence about this. Currently in Michigan, it's next to impossible to find a job in law enforcement. My professors, though, seem to think the job market will be opening up in the next couple of years. I know that the Marine Corps is and always will be my family, and I often get the feeling that my four year enlistment just wasn't enough.

I don't think I'd re-enlist, mostly for monetary reasons. If I go officer, that's going to be my career, and I will be supporting my family. If I do decide to go through with this, I need to start working my PFT score and getting it into the 250-260ish range, go to MEPS, and get my paperwork started.

I would like to know my fellow Marine's opinions on this. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of situation? Any advice, insight, recommendations, etc is greatly appreciated brothers.

Thanks and Semper Fi!
    I dont have any experience or can I give you any advice, except having read your post twice, you dont sound like you're on the fence at all. I dont hear any downsides in your post.

You sound like you're convinced this is what you want and need to do and that it is better than any other alternatives you have. If you want this and want to get your PFT higher, what are you waiting for? Drop and give me 25 now!!!

Follow your gut......
    Good luck and Semper Fi

After re-reading my post, I see what you mean ameriken. Thanks for the advice. However, this is no small decision. That's why I really want to hear some other Marines sound off. Also, if anyone has attended or knows much about PLC, that info would rock too. ERRR!

Could you go Officer in the Reserves? That way you can be a Cop full time or what ever you decide to do, but still have a job in the Marines.

You go in as an Officer also as an MP maybe even NCIS. You get the experience while in also get training you know you will never get on the outside. If you decide its not for you get out. I regret retiring when I did because I listened to my ex-wife.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ameriken View Post
    I dont have any experience or can I give you any advice, except having read your post twice, you dont sound like you're on the fence at all. I dont hear any downsides in your post.

You sound like you're convinced this is what you want and need to do and that it is better than any other alternatives you have. If you want this and want to get your PFT higher, what are you waiting for? Drop and give me 25 now!!!

Follow your gut......
    Good luck and Semper Fi
    DITTO!!!

GET SOME!!!

Good Luck Brother.
    Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Juiceman: I see a few issues in your post. First and most importantly, you miss the Corps. Second, we're experiencing a terrible economic period and recovery is far off. Third, you live in Michigan...a well publicized economically depressed area.

I will address them in order.

First year out of the Corps: We all go/went through that transition. The first year is very difficult, and most of us forget the annoying things about being active duty, e.g., the hurry up and wait. This does pass for the most part, and subsides with a dull ache that is dealt with by posting on websites like Leatherneck.com. You will never totally lose the desire to be in the company of fellow Marines, but you will live.

Economic times: Times are tough, enlistments are way up for the Corps as partial result, and jobs are scarce. This is a great time for young EAS'd Marines to get their educations behind them, and even consider returning to the Corps in a different capacity as you have discussed.

Michigan's Depression like state: You are in Michigan with one of the highest, if not the highest, unemployment rates in the country.

Why am I boring you with all this? Let's just consider points two and three supra. If I were in Michigan right now, I would move to another state. In the new state, I would continue school and look for a job or intern/externship while in school to better position myself for post-graduation. The GI Bill should be great for you right now, and with a 3.96 GPA you might even get some scholarhip money to subsidize your lifestyle. Points two and three are enough to drive a recently separated Marine back into the fold, and combined with point one, it would be hard not to go back. If you remove points two and three from the equation by moving, then you are merely homesick for the Corps and Michigan, but your future career as a civilian is well on its way.

It sounds like you made your decision already by reading your post, however, I think you should consider improvising, adapting and leaving Michigan for greener pastures. If your desire to serve remains, then you already know the Corps would take you back. I assume you got out for a reason, and chances are that reason would quickly resurface once you returned to the ranks.

Jebollenbach's situation is a bit different than your situation, becaue he loved it so much he stayed for the full ride. A young man such as you probably had different motivations for leaving and I'm sure they are still within you, albeit in remission.

Either way, we all wish you the best in your decision. Just remember, you cannot make the argument that moving from Michigan is out of the question, because that is exactly what you'd be doing if you went back in the Corps.

Final note: you just completed your first year of school, and your direction in education is not set in stone. In other words, you may change your mind about being a police officer, state trooper or federal agent. I am proof of that. I started in a criminal justice curriculum and ended up getting my graduate degree in medical entomology (disease vectors). From there I went to law school to practice intellectual property law. So you never know where education will take you.

God's Speed and Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    Whatever you do, I do not believe that you will be a true Mustang.

You were in, and an enlisted Marine, you got out, began college, now you want back in, so I am not sure that qualifies you as Mustang.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlHolmes165 View Post
    Whatever you do, I do not believe that you will be a true Mustang.

You were in, and an enlisted Marine, you got out, began college, now you want back in, so I am not sure that qualifies you as Mustang.
    ... from the MCMA

What is a Marine Mustang?

The Answer is:
    Any Marine, after having served on active duty in the enlisted ranks of the United States Marine Corps or Marine Corps Reserve, has risen to the officer ranks, and further served as a commissioned or warrant officer on either active duty or reserve status. The title includes all such Marines: active duty, reserve, retired, and/or honorably discharge.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlHolmes165 View Post
    ... from the MCMA

What is a Marine Mustang?

The Answer is:
    Any Marine, after having served on active duty in the enlisted ranks of the United States Marine Corps or Marine Corps Reserve, has risen to the officer ranks, and further served as a commissioned or warrant officer on either active duty or reserve status. The title includes all such Marines: active duty, reserve, retired, and/or honorably discharge.
    Whatever,,, Al........

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    ...HOLY COW, DUDE!!...thought this thread was about CARS!! I'd rather have a USED Vette, than a NEW Stang!!!
    ....OH, YEAH...the Navy doesn't have Mustangs....from E-9 Master Chief to Lt. Junior Grade=less money, and starting over...AGAIN!!
    If you're a Sailor, have just received your B.S., it IS possible to enter O.C.S. (on approval!) and get your "butter bars" if you're qualified....whatever that means!! Isn't that what Isrowie (sp?) did??
    LOST AGAIN....Doc Greek

Marine Spouse Free Member Idena's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGreek View Post
    If you're a Sailor, have just received your B.S., it IS possible to enter O.C.S. (on approval!) and get your "butter bars" if you're qualified....whatever that means!! Isn't that what Isrowie (sp?) did??
    Not precisely; he served one enlistment, then went to the Naval Academy. No OCS required for USNA grads; they commission at the same time that they receive their BS.

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    ....IDENA...of course you're correct! I forgot that your Hubby is NOW...a RINGKNOCKER!!!....JUST JOKING!!! He did it the hard way, and I'm proud to have made his acquaintance!! I have a buddy, who got his M.D., and joined the Squids, to finish his residency. When he came out of O.C.S., he was rated as a full Lt., NOT BAD!! Foolishly...he did his residency in TRAUMA!!!....GUESS WHERE HE IS NOW???....He's a full Commander...in the SANDBOX!!
    Please say hello to your hubby...he straightened me out, a couple of times....and I really appreciate his council!!....SEMPER FI, YOU'ALL!!...Doc Greek

You're going to want more than a 260 PFT going to OCS..while it says that on the prep guidelines, it'll kick your butt if you have a score that low.

Thread Information