Going from Open Contract to specific MOS field.
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Going from Open Contract to specific MOS field.

Hello Marines,

I DEP'ed in under an Open Contract in May 2009. My recruiter informed me the other day that he had gotten my the Combat Engineer MOS, so I asked him if I needed to sign anything. He told me no. My signature is still only on an open contract form, wouldn't I need to sign the new contract for Combat Engineer to actually be guaranteed the MOS field of Engineer?

Thanks in advance,

JWG

Well you're not DEPed into a Reserve slot so you're not going to get a guarantee of specific MOS; just the field. That will be in the next contract you sign. Have you spoken with the MEPS liaison yet?

Quote Originally Posted by NoRemorse View Post
    Well you're not DEPed into a Reserve slot so you're not going to get a guarantee of specific MOS; just the field. That will be in the next contract you sign. Have you spoken with the MEPS liaison yet?
    Pardon me, I mean't MOS field. My recruiter just told me that got me the Engineer job, and when I asked, he said I didn't have to sign any paperwork. But from talking to others, it is not true until I sign paperwork. This is confusing me. The other poolee told me he signed paperwork in the office to secure his new MOS field. I don't know. Should I tell my recruiter I'd like to sign the paperwork or see it in writing? I am trying to avoid being rude and disrespectful, but at the same time; I'd like some proof behind the words. It is the next four years of my life, after all.

Then tactfully say so in person after you schedule a meeting with him.

If it's not in your signed contract you're not getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by JWG View Post
    Pardon me, I mean't MOS field. My recruiter just told me that got me the Engineer job, and when I asked, he said I didn't have to sign any paperwork. But from talking to others, it is not true until I sign paperwork. This is confusing me. The other poolee told me he signed paperwork in the office to secure his new MOS field. I don't know. Should I tell my recruiter I'd like to sign the paperwork or see it in writing? I am trying to avoid being rude and disrespectful, but at the same time; I'd like some proof behind the words. It is the next four years of my life, after all.

You can always ask him that you want a new contract showing the MOS. Worst case scenario is he will say not right now. Your final paperwork before shipping should show it though.

Ok, thank you Marines. I will do so in a respectful way. Appreciate it.

Asked him about the paperwork and he told me that he had the MOS field slot for me, for sure. Told me that the paperwork would be signed when I go up to MEPS in June 2009 to ship to MCRD when I "re-swear in." This got me thinking. Is it normal to swear in again before you ship, or is that a special case since I joined the DEP so early before shipping ("Rising Senior").

Thanks in advance,

JWG

The second time you swear in is for real. After the first time you still have the option to leave the DEP.

The second time you've signed the real deal contract and your recruit azz belongs to the Corps.

*time to edit ran out.

I mean't June 2010, not 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by JWG View Post
    *time to edit ran out.

I mean't June 2010, not 2009.
    Good, go push

*Noted and will be done. Hehe.

So, I am now at a loss for explanations as to why I have not signed any paperwork, confirming and making official my new MOS field contract that I'm told is lined up for me. I'll give it some time, but I find it odd to say the least. Other poolees have informed me there is in fact a paper that is signed to make it official. As far as I'm concerned, I'm still open for any job they want me to do be as Open Contract still..

Unless you're a Reservist you're on an Open Contract until you ship. You'll go over the wish list, you'll talk jobs with your recruiter and you'll get a chance to talk with the MEPS liaison.

You won't sign your contract, with MOS listed until you go to MEPS on the day you ship. You'll also swear in again, and do a bunch of other ****, like dry shaving your face if you happen to have hair on it (shave before going *hint*).

Anyway, if things don't fall in place the way you want, you don't HAVE to sign the REAL contract when you go back to MEPS.

Only time will tell. But either way, I want to earn the Title. Job is just a luxury if I am lucky enough to get the job I want. At least that is my perspective and mind set on the matter. As they say, the Marine Corps comes before Self.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It is normal to sign your contract with your actual MOS at MEPS before 2nd swear-in if you came in DEP with Open Contract. I did the same thing. When you get to MEPS, make sure you sign a form saying you're getting out of Open Contract, then on the new contract make sure you have the MOS Field written on there before you sign. If your recruiter lied and it doesn't say your job field on that paper, all you need to do is tell them that it's not what you were promised.

Thread Information