MOS suggestions?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member Bora08's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

MOS suggestions?

I am in the process of becoming a Marine, waiting for my day to go to MEPS. I am not sure which specific MOS I want, and my recruiter is putting it off until I arrive at MEPS to talk about it there. I got a 95 on my ASVAB and am qualified to do pretty much anything. I want to be able to do something with what I've learned in the Corps, not just infantry or combat oriented (20+ confirmed kills won't help on my future resume). I do want something physical (was in DEP for the Navy but switched because I knew I would regret it in the long run i.e. what if...). Just looking for some suggestions, along with some duties that job entails. And searching the internet for MOS's only gets me a basic overview, rather than answers from experienced Marines. Was considering 6199, but where does that leave me after my term (assuming I don't want to re-up). Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Quote Originally Posted by Bora08 View Post
    I am in the process of becoming a Marine, waiting for my day to go to MEPS. I am not sure which specific MOS I want, and my recruiter is putting it off until I arrive at MEPS to talk about it there. I got a 95 on my ASVAB and am qualified to do pretty much anything. I want to be able to do something with what I've learned in the Corps, not just infantry or combat oriented (20+ confirmed kills won't help on my future resume). I do want something physical (was in DEP for the Navy but switched because I knew I would regret it in the long run i.e. what if...). Just looking for some suggestions, along with some duties that job entails. And searching the internet for MOS's only gets me a basic overview, rather than answers from experienced Marines. Was considering 6199, but where does that leave me after my term (assuming I don't want to re-up). Thanks in advance for any help offered.
    You aren't qualified to do anything at this point. The ASVAB is just one small part of the test.

Fill out your profile.

What uniform are you wearing in that picture?

Go 3381, it is your best bet.

Credits
    Savings
    MARPATs, from when I was in PLC, unfortunately things didn't work out with PLC, and I decided to enlist instead.

Credits
    Savings
    3381? Why would that be my best bet? and qualified for anything as in I dont have anything that should stop me from any specific MOS speaking medically, physically, or mentally.

People always need to eat.

Given that you didn't really complete the profile, or give any information about yourself, food service was the best thing I could think of.

im 6541. Really enjoy it (most days) but you'll be supprised about the little stuff that you get trained on in fields that you really did not think applied to that MOS. (ie HAZMAT, and explosive transportation etc..) HAZMAT quals pay well in the civi world as does explosive handling experience/knowledge in and of itself. And I just assumed that I just loaded the bomb to the plane ha.

LCPL Stoller
    Camp Mujuk
    S. Korea

MARPATs, from when I was in PLC, unfortunately things didn't work out with PLC, and I decided to enlist instead.
    Did you drop out of college or something?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by samthomas View Post
    People always need to eat.

Given that you didn't really complete the profile, or give any information about yourself, food service was the best thing I could think of.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA,,,good one

My 2841 served me my whole life to date. But it's gotta be your choice. You live with it.

We're always looking for people in the 267X field. There are loads of things to do when you get out as well.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Supersquishy View Post
    Did you drop out of college or something?
    Yes, dropped out after finding out that 1 freshman in the entire STATE gets selected for PLC, when I was told that I would be guarenteed selection.

The Worlds in Your Hands Kid

I cant really give you any advice on a particular MOS, simply because I do not know any of your specifics. What do you like to do in your hobby time, what do you do for a job, what is something you have always been interested in for a career, etc, etc. If I was you I would go to your recruiter, and ask to see his big binder of MOS fields. Remember one thing, if you go active your only guaranteed a slot in the field, not a specific job slot. For example if you go Combat Support (CE) like I did you could end up in Tracks, Tanks, etc. Myself I was an Amtracker, would I suggest that based on your ASVAB score, probably not. You seem to have alot potential. In general if I was you I would look into some kinda high speed, technical job. I can't think of any off the top of my head. Like I said though go to your recruiter, and browse through his binder. They had em when I enlisted in 2001, im sure they still do. Good luck, and keep us posted on what you end up doing for your MOS, I would really like to hear. Semper Fi!!

Just remember in the end though the Marine Corps is one big team it dosn't matter who does what job as long as the Mission is getting done thats what matters.

I got a 95 on my ASVAB and am qualified to do pretty much anything. I want to be able to do something with what I've learned in the Corps, not just infantry or combat oriented (20+ confirmed kills won't help on my future resume).
    go for soemthing on the admin side of the house. you will gain some usefull skills, much more practical than trying to get your 20 confirmed kills.

0300 Infantry

Don't let anyone try to tell you that Infantry skills won't help out a resume. Trust me, you lead Marines in a combat zone as an Infantry Squad Leader and companies will be fawning over you. It's not just mindlessly humping around and shootin' guns. You have to be a squared away intelligent SOB to be a good Grunt. You are the heart and soul of the Marine Corps, the tip of the spear. Of course I am biased but the camaraderie amongst grunts is well beyond any other. There is no way I could have done anything else. Of course you have to be prepared to live in the the worst conditions you can imagine, hump 120lbs. of gear in 100+ degree heat, and understand that there is probably a 99.9% chance you will be sent to a combat zone (you would be surprised how many kids don't realize this).. and these are just a few. I can go into more detail if you like, but, hell the Corps needs Postal Clerks too. (Not a knock on any non-Infantry types, I'm not saying the P-word... I love all Marines).

Quote Originally Posted by Failuredrill View Post
    but, hell the Corps needs Postal Clerks too.
    awesome!!! not everyone can be a gun slinger, more smart types need to come over to the support side, i work with a lot of morons.

Credits
    Savings
    I went to MEPS last week and am going 5939, leave for boot in Dec.

Thread Information