Arizona and Dodge City - South Of Danang - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by advanced View Post
    For those of us still here, somehow, we've made it this far. Something to be said for that.
    Well....I've had two decades long musician friends die in the last year.
    We were band mates for for years while playing al the Bay Area clubs.
    Neither were in the military and had very soft lives as compared to those of us in this conversation.

Somehow....I woke up above dirt level again this morning so no whining from me.
    It does conjure up thoughts of who's next....I'd guess I'm on that list

Semper Fi....and carry on.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Meade River Madness...when those 16”rounds from the USS Jersey was pounding the Command Bunkers and rounds where Cutting Palm trees in 1/2 chunks of Hot Steel the sz of a Car hood spinning lopsided with this Swoosh sound then another after another flyng right over my Fighting hole being in Lead element of Attacking their Last Stand position,In the evening of My Memories when I go back often, I was totally Impressed and Id been around B-52’s pounding an Area UP North...FIREPOWER gave Me a Hard On !!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Jack,

My dad told me about 16-inch shells going overhead as his boat was heading inshore at Saipan. There were usually two separate sounds, the first the loud rushing sound of the shell itself, the second a high pitched whining sound as the compression band around the shell came loose and was following the shell. He said the compression bands were more dangerous to US troops as they tended to land a lot sooner than the shells did. The Navy had to be very careful when shooting over troops. Dad was also quite impressed with what the 16-inchers could do, damage-wise.

I never had the pleasure of 16-inchers going overhead near me, but I did witness a number of B-52 Arc-Light strikes. It was a lot like an earthquake. Impressive. I read an article in the Stars and Stripes that POW interrogations revealed that B-52 strikes were the prime reason most NVA/VC surrendered in our area (III Corps). The NVA/VC just couldn't handle the psychiatric effects of possibly being buried alive. III Corps had a lot of NVA/VC tunnels.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sgt Z your Father sounds like a Hell’va Man Marine...Now Im older...in my mind and body at the time being young I goes Holy Hell how in the Fuk them NVA could handle that Carpet bombing Etc and still be there like trapped Rats not giving uP some did most didnt.Now every now and then i see a documentary with pics Videos on it.I dont watch it often I.We weren’t Playing

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    That lopsided spinning that was going on was after impact the Shell going overhead too me was like a Frieght train hauling A$$...that wave You were taking about that’s probably WTF is Wrong with Me Brother LOL

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Jack,
    Thanks. My dad's 18th birthday was the day he landed on Saipan (June 15, 1944).
    He was in the 6th Marines Scout-Sniper Platoon. A book about his platoon was just published, "40 Thieves on Saipan." Good book. Learned a lot about my dad I didn't know before.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    That’s something too be Very proud of Sgt Z...Godspeed too Yah Go Easy Brother...I’m Gone~~~~~~~

Thread Information