Why is it that...
Create Post

Why is it that...

Why is it that...

A) You never call a Marine a soldier.

and

B) You don't call Marine Drill Instructors drill sergeants.

Can someone explain these important rules to me?

Because the Marine Corps is NOT the Army!
    In the Army you are called a soldier, In the Army they call their boot camp instructors "Drill Sergeant"
    In the Marine Corps you are called a Marine, You EARN that title.....Those who train us are called "Drill Instructors"
    Not taking anything away from the U.S. Army, But let me ask you this.......Why are you enlisting in the Marine Corps and not the Army?..
    Because you want to be a part of something Outstanding, and Great....right? so why would you lump the two services together........Very, Very different expectations as you go through your enlistment will show you the difference. The Marine
    Corps never lets up on what it expects from it's Marines.

Credits
    Savings
    The Marine Corps and the Army are distinct organizations and Marine, Soldier, Drill Instructor and Drill Sergeant are titles that the respective organizations have chosen to assign its members and members in specific positions or roles. The important issue here is that these are titles not generic terms.

Historically, the term marine, when used in reference to a military, refers to naval infantry (though they can be units independent of a navy), while army is a land based unit. In the US, this is no different as the US Marine Corps and Army developed with distinct roles as separate organizations. As such, they have developed their own titles for its members and positions.

Even though some roles may appear to overlap, calling a Marine a Soldier makes as much sense as calling your electrician a plumber because they both install copper conduits in the wall while building a house.

Thank you for clarifying that Marines! I look forward to 'not being called a soldier'!

Quote Originally Posted by iljw View Post
    Why is it that...

A) You never call a Marine a soldier.

and

B) You don't call Marine Drill Instructors drill sergeants.

Can someone explain these important rules to me?
    You will never hear a Cpl. who is a Drill Instructor called Drill Sgt. Same for SSgt, and Gysgt. That is one reason why they are all call Drill Instructor. Drill Instructors Instruct on many subjects, another reason why they are not called Drill Sgts.

Soldiers are soldiers, Marines are Marines.

can corporals be drill instructors? I thought you had to at least be an E-5 upon completion of D.I school?

corporals used to be able to. today, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    Soldiers are soldiers, Marines are Marines.
    Semper Fi!!!

Thread Information