Cali Marines, Car question
Create Post

Cali Marines, Car question

Got a car question for all the Marines out in the Pendleton/Miramar area. What are the emissions standards like? I know they are Nazi's compared to the rest of the nation. I plan on buying a Trans Am, Firehawk, or something along those lines when I go home on leave and then driving back to Cali, but I don't wanna get there and have them lose their **** because my car puts out too many emissions. I'm sure there's a website with the numbers, but there's no way for me to check what the car I plan on getting has, as a general statement.

Basically, judging from what you see people drive or what you drive, what's the possibility?

Is the car going to be registered in your home state? If that's the case I don't see any reason why there would be a problem. Cars made before a certain year have to be smogged, but I don't know what the standards are.

If you are not going to be registering it in California you do not need to worry about the whole getting it smogged thing.

you go by your registered states regs. MI doesn't have any but texas does as do a few others.

so basically what everyone else has said.

Credits
    Savings
    That is incorrect information. In order to get a base decal, the vehicle in question must pass CA emissions inspection.

If the car has the factory emissions equipment in tact, you're probably good to go. If the car is stock, it should be fine. Keep in mind that there is also a visual inspection in addition to the sniffer test. Modifications such as intakes that do not have Calif. Air Resources Board certification will yield a visual inspection failure. If the car has an exhaust system installed after the catalytic converters, you are good also because those won't affect emissions.

If the car is 1975 or older or newer than 6 years, then you are exempt from the smog inspection.

Smog information
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm

BTW, it's not California that won't let you have your car if it's registered out of state. It will be the Marine Corps that doesn't give you base sticker. If you don't pass, you won't lose your car.

that's odd, that must be new.

Thread Information