MCL bans khaki shirt:( - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have one question on MCL, do all wear blood stripes or only those who earned them? I was looking at pictures to see the khaki shirts and what stands out more is the blood stripes on everyone in the pics I saw.

Everyone does, regardless of former rank. I wish they would also drop wearing those too. It's part of the Marine Corps uniform and should only be worn IAW Marine Corps regulations.

Thanks Top....

rogue members

Anyone else have members who want to quit over the kakhi shirt rule ,Our Color Guard and Honorguard have decided to do as they please including wearing Dress Blues for Color Guard and Honor Guard Duty and not all of them served in time of war and none of them are retired Marines.

No rogue members here on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. I personally don't understand what the problem is since the MCL has the best looking uniforms of all the veteran's organizations.

Marines, here is a copy of a memo from the National Commandant that may clearify some of the concerns stated here.

All Detachments should have received this.
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    Distribution All

Sent: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 9:25 PM
    To: Executive Director
    Subject: Marine Corps League 2009 Convention Issue

Board of Trustees, PNC’s and Department Commandants –

The National Commandant has asked that I forward the following letter from him to our e-mail list. He asked that you please get it down to your Detachments and all concerned.
    The message is clear – it is time to stop all the anger and gnashing of teeth. Working to create divides in the organization is counter-productive. This issue will be properly addressed at the National Convention in North Carolina and no amount of kicking and screaming is going to make it happen sooner. If everyone would just tone down the rhetoric, this can be resolved in a calm and adult like manner then.

Marine Corps League Members and Board of Trustees -

I have reviewed once again, the National Bylaws as they relate to the issue of Khaki shirts that was brought up on the floor at National Convention. I have read and concur with the National JA John Kovalcik’s interpretation of the intent of our Bylaws. Both Gerry Devlin, the National Parliamentarian, and John have pointed out numerous times in "Roberts Rule of Order Revised", that say that if a mistake was made at Convention, then a “point of order” must be raised at that time and not after the Convention has closed.

JA Kovalcik clarifies this point in his statement, "Normally a point of order must only be raised at the time of the alleged breach of order. Failing to raise a point of order usually waives any right to object. There is an exception, which may have confused some. If the question that a proposed action violates the constitution or bylaw it may be raised at any time (section 21 Roberts Rules of Order Revised) this means that it may be raised at any time during the Convention not three months later. When a convention adjourns Sine Die (the final adjournment as opposed to a day to day recess or adjournment) it carries with it all pending business Section 18 Roberts Rules of Order. There is no Parliamentary way for the will of the convention to be modified once the final gavel has fallen." In other words, once the Convention is CLOSED, it would be illegal in accordance with "Roberts Rules" to disregard the will of the “body” (that being the properly elected, registered, and approved Delegates in good standing, on the floor), and alter a proposed Bylaw change or amendment thereto. More importantly, perhaps is the fact that it would do a great disservice to those who attended and participated as Registered Delegates and voted their will, at the National Convention. I would re-iterate here, that this amendment did not originate with the National Board of Trustees, or Marine Corps League National Headquarters. It in fact came from the floor and was approved on the floor.

In reading National Bylaws, Article 100 the intent clearly vests the supreme legislative and policy making power of the Marine Corps League in the National Convention composed of the properly elected, registered and approved Delegates in good standing. The confusion I see between Article 100 and Article 800 of the bylaws involves the implied intent of the delegates’ authority at a convention to make Marine Corps League policy. While Article 100 gives the supreme authority to the delegates at a convention to make policy, Article 800 CH4-95 appears to want to restrict that authority of the delegates to only those bylaw changes submitted for revision, amendment or repeal that were properly submitted to National Headquarters prior to April 1st.

If the current approved amendment on the issue of Khaki shirts were to be changed it would devastate the power of the aforementioned Convention Delegates to act as a body and conduct League business and it would force the will of a relative few members who “after the fact”, disagree with the ruling. This is why a challenge must be brought during the Convention. That would allow those same delegates to debate the validity of the challenge. NJA Kovalcik is correct when he says that “Red Hats Rule”. As your National Commandant I believe in the power of the properly elected, registered, and approved Delegates in good standing to dictate to the duly elected National Officers, the direction of the Marine Corps League and as such, approve or disapprove all amendments brought before the floor of a National Convention. In this context the “National Registered Delegates, present at Convention, rule”. To now remove the rights of the majority of the delegates to decide an issue would be a monumental blow to the rights of the membership to decide any question. Marines, remember it was the majority of the delegates on the convention floor who overwhelming approved the removal of the Khaki shirt from our dress code.

With that being said; I have suggested to the National Judge Advocate that Article 800 should be closely reviewed and consideration given to restating that portion of the Article that might be confusing. It is important to restore the intent of Article 100. The delegates at a National Convention must be able to conduct business and shape Marine Corps League policy, without the interference of a few. This should curtail further problems dealing with all business conducted at the National Convention.

Semper Fidelis
    James R. Laskey
    National Commandant

Thread Information