Gold Chevrons
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gold Chevrons

Gold Chevrons

I tried to search threads for any previous info on this subject, even googled it, but couldn't seem to find the answer.

I encountered a reserve Marine wearing his dress blue trousers/khaki shirt and gold chevrons on his collar.... I've never seen gold chevrons worn like this.... is that authorized? I ask because he is seeking help with some training, and there has been some inconsistencies with his stories and he has yet to provide a DD214 to me. He also told me over the phone that he was a GySgt, and he showed up with Sgt chevrons.... I am taking the benefit of the doubt that perhaps I heard him wrong over the phone, but since I don't get many current or former GySgt's in my office, I was really looking forward to meeting him.

Me, I'd call his bluff on the rank thing - as you know, there's a BIG difference between a Gunnery Sergeant of Marines and a Sergeant of Marines. Call him on it, and make him show you the DD214. If he is a Marine he will understand, and should appreciate it.

I can't ever remember seeing gold chevrons on a Khaki uniform. I'm not the expert when it comes to uniform regs, but. If it smells odd, then it usually is.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherGoose View Post
    I tried to search threads for any previous info on this subject, even googled it, but couldn't seem to find the answer.

I encountered a reserve Marine wearing his dress blue trousers/khaki shirt and gold chevrons on his collar.... I've never seen gold chevrons worn like this.... is that authorized? I ask because he is seeking help with some training, and there has been some inconsistencies with his stories and he has yet to provide a DD214 to me. He also told me over the phone that he was a GySgt, and he showed up with Sgt chevrons.... I am taking the benefit of the doubt that perhaps I heard him wrong over the phone, but since I don't get many current or former GySgt's in my office, I was really looking forward to meeting him.

Sounds like a poser to me.
    Just a suggestion...if he comes in the office again, I'd ask if I could have a pic taken with him just because....then, like wookie said, call his bluff on the rank and make him show you his DD214.

Personally, I have never seen those chevrons worn in that manner. I have only seen them worn on the cooks uniforms and possibly on Marines that wore coveralls (I am not sure about that one though).

I would play dumb and say "Ive been out for a while, looks like they have changed some of the uniform regs around, mind if I get a picture? The new combonation looks pretty cool!"

And then put it out there for the world (us) to see and judge!

A good thing about getting a picture in uniform is IF the POS is a poser, then that photo can be very good evidence to hammer him under the Stolen Valor Act.

Gold or annodized cheverons are out there, I have a set for my shadow box that I got from Sgt. Grit's site. But, like was previously stated usually you see cooks and those who wear coveralls wearing them. But in Khaki's, I dunno.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Mess duty we had to take a chevron and soak it in brasso then scrub with a wool blanket. They're made out of brass and you are just rubbing the paint off. Anyway we put the polished chevron on our paper hat to wear with our ice cream suit.

My knee jerk response is army chevrons. They wear shiney ones on their class C's.

Those are all good ideas, I am going to ask him about it. I didn't ask at the time, because I figured it was a new uniform regulation or such and decided I'd check it out on my own.

Bulkyer, funny you mention that because he says he was in the Army from 88-94. Don't have a DD214 on that either yet... he can't get any funding until he provides a DD214 so there's no worry there, I'll keep you posted on what I find out. Thanks everyone!!

All military personnel carry their military ID card on them at all times.....how about asking for that also.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherGoose View Post
    Those are all good ideas, I am going to ask him about it. I didn't ask at the time, because I figured it was a new uniform regulation or such and decided I'd check it out on my own.

Bulkyer, funny you mention that because he says he was in the Army from 88-94. Don't have a DD214 on that either yet... he can't get any funding until he provides a DD214 so there's no worry there, I'll keep you posted on what I find out. Thanks everyone!!

What kind of funding is this "poser" applying for?

This is the only time these chevrons are authorized for wear.....

>Ch 5 b. Blue Dress Sweater. Gold-plated (brushed brass) metal insignia of the design illustrated in figure 4-9 will be worn centered vertically on each shoulder strap of the blue dress sweater, single point inboard, and placed so that it is equidistant from the front and rear edges of the shoulder straps with the lowest point of the insignia's outer edge 3/4 inch from the armhole seam.

Quote Originally Posted by drillinstructor View Post
    This is the only time these chevrons are authorized for wear.....

>Ch 5 b. Blue Dress Sweater. Gold-plated (brushed brass) metal insignia of the design illustrated in figure 4-9 will be worn centered vertically on each shoulder strap of the blue dress sweater, single point inboard, and placed so that it is equidistant from the front and rear edges of the shoulder straps with the lowest point of the insignia's outer edge 3/4 inch from the armhole seam.

Houston - I think we have a problem,,, nice follow-up, Master Sergeant.

Even if he is/was a reservist and EAS'ed, why would he be in any uniform? Especially jacked up like that and wearing Sgt chevrons. Should have b!tch slapped him right then and there followed up by a little MCMAP training.

Quote Originally Posted by zx6rdr View Post
    What kind of funding is this "poser" applying for?
    Indiana has a program for Purple Heart recipients in which they can apply for the program and once their information is verified, can receive free tuition, fees, and books (up to 126 credit hours) at any Indiana state college or university. So yes, he is also claiming that he has received the purple heart. I left a voicemail and hope to hear from him soon to see what is going on. I can't imagine that a person would go to such extreme lengths to pose as a Marine and then risk getting caught by coming to a government office for assistance... but if he is posing, then he isn't smart to begin with. I am hopeful there is just some big miscommunication... but those gold chevrons... just made me start wondering...

Thread Information