Radio Operator MOS/Communications - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I hate Radio Hmmmm

COMMDOG7... well all I can say is that if your on a combat patrol and all of a sudden your BUTT is getting kicked.....BOY that radio sure is great for calling in Close Air support. Also I was at Reno-Vegas and Carson and without that radio there would have been more KIAs.

I would not sell it short...however I'm quite sure you know that....take care.....keep your head down

Also a women Marine can snuff you out just as fast as a Male.

As a radio operator, I never want to see another radio again in my life. They always go down and it's a real headache to identify the problem. "My comm went down, what the hell's wrong with it?"... "I dunno, atmospheric conditions???" Thank God I'm lat-moving.

Rough Hands- I'm a female radio operator. As a female radio operator, you can't be stationed with the grunts. You'll be in a logistics or supporting unit somewhere, but not with an infantry or combat unit. You will set up comm in the rear.

As per usual. Thank you for the information, Marines. It's nice to get the other perspective.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Interesting read. Old 2841 here. Would love to know how much has changed.
    { I could probly still fix a teletype].

Hang In There..........

CommDog7..

Listen hang in there....things do change. Remember in Iraq women did get
    to engage in some hot stuff.

To me another rifle is another rifle regardless of whos firing it.

take care

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    Interesting read. Old 2841 here. Would love to know how much has changed.
    { I could probly still fix a teletype].
    For a while now the 2841 MOS was split into 2844s and 2846s. Literally a few days ago those two MOSes just merged back into 2841

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    2841 in my day could fix toilets to lasers,,,,,,,,Generators to crypto. When I needed an operator,,, I made one. I thought all you needed now a days was a cell phone.

thanks for the info i graduated boot camp oct 23 and will be heading to 0621 school mid-december this helped clear alot of questions i had

Quote Originally Posted by maelo View Post
    thanks for the info i graduated boot camp oct 23 and will be heading to 0621 school mid-december this helped clear alot of questions i had
    Congrats Marine!

Marine Free Member d3vi1d06 4 life's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    radio operators are at the bottom part of the 06 field.

im a 0651 tactical data operator, or information systems coordinator. at the top of the 06 field (the data dinks).

in my experience, we dont need radio operators. back in april, i took a week long class on all the new radio gear. in this class were all the radio operators, and the computer guys like me. we were learning about the new radios and testing them out. the computer guys were picking up the knowledge and running with it. while the radio guys were dumbfounded. i personally had a radio up in running and talking to the instructor within 5 minutes. mind you it takes alot of programming to get these new radios up and running. meanwhile the radio guys were completely lost, and this was their job.

my point: the age of the radio being operated by low asvab service members is over. its the age of the high asvab computer guys being the radio operators. because seriously, from what i saw, 0621's cant handle operating these new radios.

mos 0621 (glorified grunt) is in the dawn of being phased out. the 0651's and 0656's are gonna be learning all of the mos's in the 06 field. the age of the geeks has arrived!!!! long live the geeks!!!!!

ooorah!!!

Quote Originally Posted by d3vi1d06 4 life View Post
    radio operators are at the bottom part of the 06 field.

im a 0651 tactical data operator, or information systems coordinator. at the top of the 06 field (the data dinks).

in my experience, we dont need radio operators. back in april, i took a week long class on all the new radio gear. in this class were all the radio operators, and the computer guys like me. we were learning about the new radios and testing them out. the computer guys were picking up the knowledge and running with it. while the radio guys were dumbfounded. i personally had a radio up in running and talking to the instructor within 5 minutes. mind you it takes alot of programming to get these new radios up and running. meanwhile the radio guys were completely lost, and this was their job.

my point: the age of the radio being operated by low asvab service members is over. its the age of the high asvab computer guys being the radio operators. because seriously, from what i saw, 0621's cant handle operating these new radios.

mos 0621 (glorified grunt) is in the dawn of being phased out. the 0651's and 0656's are gonna be learning all of the mos's in the 06 field. the age of the geeks has arrived!!!! long live the geeks!!!!!

ooorah!!!
    You've been in for a year and a half and yet you think you know it all. The data geeks do not compare to the radio operators who know their job. I'd like to see you set up some of the comm equipment we had in Iraq, because the data Marines I worked with were lost and confused when it came to our radios. Oh, and I guess the 82 I scored on the ASVAB is considered a low score... I must really be dumb.

Go back to your computers and leave the radios to the real operators.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Fighton you really do need to tell us alittle more out your climb up Fuji

It was the grunts that invented the 3 foot drop test to repair radios

Marine Free Member d3vi1d06 4 life's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by commdog7 View Post
    You've been in for a year and a half and yet you think you know it all. The data geeks do not compare to the radio operators who know their job. I'd like to see you set up some of the comm equipment we had in Iraq, because the data Marines I worked with were lost and confused when it came to our radios. Oh, and I guess the 82 I scored on the ASVAB is considered a low score... I must really be dumb.

Go back to your computers and leave the radios to the real operators.

its almost two and a half years in. and surprise!!!! i do the radio guys job!!!!!! another surprise. IM IN IRAQ NOW!!!! its not that difficult. the only thing i cant do is repair the radios. thats a whole other field. and a year long school but as far as operating the radio. easy day. i learned your whole mos in one week. easy day.

ooorah!!!

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    2631/2531 here!!!
    Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by d3vi1d06 4 life View Post
    its almost two and a half years in. and surprise!!!! i do the radio guys job!!!!!! another surprise. IM IN IRAQ NOW!!!! its not that difficult. the only thing i cant do is repair the radios. thats a whole other field. and a year long school but as far as operating the radio. easy day. i learned your whole mos in one week. easy day.

ooorah!!!
    Two and a half years? You've barely been in for two years... unless you got dropped a few times in boot camp.

I doubt you have set up all the HF, VHF, and UHF radios we use as well as all the accessories for the vehicle mounts and the ground radios. I doubt you even know how to load crypto. Radio operators is a changing field, there are always new and different versions of radios coming out that we need to know. Next time comm goes down, I'll make sure to call you, I'd like to see you identify and fix the problem when time is a factor and Marine's lives are at stake.

But if you really want our mos, you can have it. Hope you enjoy digging trenches for the comm wire and inventoring massive amounts of gear every week- on top of whatever it is you do in your mos. Oh, and you can follow the grunts into combat while humping 30-50 lbs of radio gear in addition to your combat load. My advice: stay in your air conditioned work site and play on your computers. It is good that you want to cross-train, but know what your talking about before you go embarrass yourself.

Here's a question for you, since you know our mos so well.... how do you modify an OE (you know what that is right?) for HF and UHF capabilities? You said you learned our mos in a week, so you should know this.

Thread Information