Radio Operator MOS/Communications - Page 5
Create Post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
    At this point i have told my recruiter that the 3 MOS i want are radioman, motor T, Aviation Logistics in that order. My questions are
    how would i go about getting put on combat missions? How heavy is the radio?

The radio is relatively light (about 25lbs). As a radio operator you will also be required to carry 4 superstart car batteries (about 25lbs each) and a portable coffee pot for the CO. You will have to of course also be experienced in hunting and field skills as that will be most necessary in acquireing fodder for yourself and fellow Marines. At times you will also be required to carry the CO piggy back to various locations.

It is best that you step away from the X-box and begin a serious rambo style PT regiman.

Best of luck in your endeavors

@bulkyker the troll answers weren't really appreciated, however finding out the radio is 25 lbs not 55 lbs is interesting. i also got DB which is communications and wiring technician, So what other duties besides carrying the radio would i have to preform in a combat area?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    This thread might further answer your question

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=28025

Fenrir...before you go shooting your mouth off to a Marine on what he can or cannot say....try reading the site rules, which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums.

POOLEE/WANNABEE SITE RULES! Read FIRST!!!

Rule Four make sure that you have a completed profile less than that is unsat and will get you banned for a period up to and including permanently!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...t=28989&page=2

1, Your profile sucks. Fix it.

2: Read the RULES. No further warnings. Next time, you'll be gone.

3: Posts DELETED until that happens. Post again without a completed profile or show attitude, you'll be just like them....a memory.

I was a 2531. Started out in 81 mortars and went out with FO teams, so I spent most of my first couple of years with line companies in the 9th Marines. Back stateside, I was assigned to battalion comm section and headed up the radio part of a TACP team for awhile before moving to regimental radio. All this made me REALLY miss the 9th Marines, the most combat ready unit overseas at the time I was in it. Stateside duty was nothing like it. I guess all good 2531s can put up a RC-292 by themselves. Don't know if they even have that antenna now.

Factors

Are there certain factors that can help me get in an infantry battalion? Let's say that I have good shooting skills and I seem to perform well under stress, would I have a higher chance of getting sent to an infantry battalion?

Quote Originally Posted by kentmitchell View Post
    I was a 2531. Started out in 81 mortars and went out with FO teams, so I spent most of my first couple of years with line companies in the 9th Marines. Back stateside, I was assigned to battalion comm section and headed up the radio part of a TACP team for awhile before moving to regimental radio. All this made me REALLY miss the 9th Marines, the most combat ready unit overseas at the time I was in it. Stateside duty was nothing like it. I guess all good 2531s can put up a RC-292 by themselves. Don't know if they even have that antenna now.
    You Marines were putting up RC-292's by yourselves? That's impressive. We had RC-292's in 82-88 when I was in, only we would put them up by ourselves with one arm tied behind our backs.

I do not think the equipment we were using in korea 1952 is still being used....advancement in electronics. But my time is the USMC was....
    Joined in October 1951...then boot at MCRD San Diego...radio school at MCRD San Diego...then to Camp Pendelton combat training...then transferred to tent camp at pendelton...then around 2300 went aboard ship.then Inchon korea. I was taking into 1st Anglico in korea went to 2nd battalion 5th Marines TACP, 1st Marine Division. That fast....1--2--3--4-.
    however things I'm sure is not the same as when I was in the corp
    Take ca...Semper Fi.......

Thread Information