Radio Operator MOS/Communications
Create Post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Radio Operator MOS/Communications

This post is for those who are looking at the MOS of 0621, Field Radio Operator. Many times I get asked what this MOS does out in the FMF. And many times people enlist into this MOS without knowing where you can end up. I will try to clear up some things about this MOS.

A male radio operator can land you in any one of the following types of units/battalions.
    -Engineer
    -Artillery
    -Infantry
    -Tanks
    -AAV
    -Headquarters
    -Communications

This means you will be a radio operator in these unit types. You will not be an infantryman or a tanker as an example, if assigned to those units. And in the larger communication units you will be with only fellow communicators.

Many times people do not want to be in an infantry unit, so they pick this MOS without knowing you very well can end up there. Now you know. You have absolutely no say in what unit type you get placed into.

As an example my brother and I were both radiomen but in different unit types. He was in an engineer battalion and I was in an infantry battalion. Our experiences were totally different. This is the danger in asking a radioman what his adventures were like because this does not mean you will do likewise.

Obviously in an infantry battalion there is more opportunity to experience alot more of the USMC, but this is not for everyone. Certain radiomen will get assigned to go out with the battalion's companies and you will be responsible for the communications in that company. And you will very often do as they do, but with a radio on your back.

The same info above applies to the MOS of Field Wireman. And there are several other MOS's that also are found in these units. I am not positive on which ones but they are techs who fix the radios and other gear.

So when choosing the radio operator or wireman MOS's, make sure you are aware that you can end up in a variety of unit types.

Can you tell us what you did in 0621 MOS School, such as what you learned, what you had to study, what radios did you operate?

Can you give some examples of day to day life as a Radioman in YOUR experience in your Unit?

Quote Originally Posted by Supersquishy View Post
    Can you tell us what you did in 0621 MOS School, such as what you learned, what you had to study, what radios did you operate?

Can you give some examples of day to day life as a Radioman in YOUR experience in your Unit?
    You learn about each radio and the proper procedures in communicating with them and how to operate them. You also learn about vehicle mounted radios, antennas, batteries, and about maintaining your equipment. You cover encryption and message taking and how to properly speak over a net. The course is very basic and you really do not learn what is needed out in the fleet in those two months.

In our unit day to day activity was very boring. You have a shop with about 15-20 other radio operators and if nothing is scheduled, then all you do is clean and maintain your radio gear. There is always something to clean. We literally spent many days just cleaning the gear over and over. Plus the comm. platoon is responsible for many vehicles and must maintain them.

From time to time we gave classes to other units and from time to time we set up mock scenarios and ran through our procedures. Or we practiced setting up antennas and tearing them down while being timed. We learned field antennas which are made from wire and used in emergencies when your antenna breaks. Or we drove to other parts of the base while others stayed in the shop and we practiced communicating and all the secrets of the trade. It's basically clean or train or PT.

When an op was near then we would prepare for this by getting all the necessary gear ready. As an example, if the entire battalion was heading out to the field, then each radio man assigned to each company would ready his own company's gear. When it is ready for issue, a SNCO or above would come and sign for it.

The other operators would ready the gear for the platoon to be used out in the field. The communication platoon is in charge of all communications at that level and play a huge role including the CO's comm and the issuing of frequency sheets.

Radio operators will either be with a company, in the COC, or in the Ant, Farm. These are there main responsibilities but very often can end up elsewhere such as the CO's driver, or on a FAC team.

Good stuff Marine. I just graduated Comm school today as a 0621. Everythingyou said about the school was perfect and then the knowledge about the FMF was good for me. Most of us are going to infantry battalions. 3 are going to artillery and 3 are going logistics.

Quote Originally Posted by dizark View Post
    Good stuff Marine. I just graduated Comm school today as a 0621. Everythingyou said about the school was perfect and then the knowledge about the FMF was good for me. Most of us are going to infantry battalions. 3 are going to artillery and 3 are going logistics.
    Congratulations, now the real USMC will begin for you.

Time to represent the Communications MOS. Don't let them give you any **** out there in the fleet and enjoy yourselves.

Always remember that Comm. Platoon has the cheesiest saying in the USMC.
    "YOU CAN TALK ABOUT US, BUT YOU CAN'T TALK WITHOUT US"<<< That still cracks me up to this day.

If your attached to a Recon Unit, that means that you will get to go to Jump School and Scuba School and SERE School right?

You carry your Pack AND Radio and Rifle on humps? What happens if you fall back behind, do they kick your ass?

Congrats Marine! FROC Grad and infantry R.O. here, (TACP). My best advice.....keep your ass outa the Comm Shop as much as possible.

If your attached to a Recon Unit, that means that you will get to go to Jump School and Scuba School and SERE School right?

You carry your Pack AND Radio and Rifle on humps? What happens if you fall back behind, do they kick your ass?
    You are supposed to go to the schools that you need in order to accomplish your mission. Whether you do or not, who knows?

And if you are in a Recon unit then you will not fall back.

If you're asking what happens to you as a radioman if you fall back in regular humps while in regular units, then a variety of things can happen to you. And it would depend on why you fell back.

Ass kicking in that situation really doesn't do any good. But a good ass kicking later on does wonders for that Marine.

I was an Airwinger, now getting back in and lat moving to 0621 Reservist. I wasn't trying to make a funny just trying to get a feel for things. I never really saw the "ground' side of the Corps. That is one of the reasons for going back in. Just wondering.

Thanks for your information so far.

I was an Airwinger, now getting back in and lat moving to 0621 Reservist. I wasn't trying to make a funny just trying to get a feel for things. I never really saw the "ground' side of the Corps. That is one of the reasons for going back in. Just wondering.

Thanks for your information so far.
    Oh I know you are being serious. I kind of figured you were thinking of making a move into this MOS. I am just being as honest with you without misleading you.

Do you happen to know what kind of unit you would get into in your area?

Any questions you may have about being a RO in the infantry feel free to ask. I can get more into details through PM if you wish.

And you do qualify for a secret clearance, right?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by USCFIGHTONUSC View Post

The same info above applies to the MOS of Field Wireman. And there are several other MOS's that also are found in these units. I am not positive on which ones but they are techs who fix the radios and other gear.

So when choosing the radio operator or wireman MOS's, make sure you are aware that you can end up in a variety of unit types.
    The ones that fix radios and such should be 28xx with the school at MCCES A Co.

wow, things must have changed...for info my MOS was 2531 field radio operator, and was in TACP for 2nd Battalion 5th marines, 1st Marine Div. Korea Members were 2 pilots and about 4 or 6 enlisted men all 2531 MOS.

our call sign was budweiser 14

Quote Originally Posted by budweiser14 View Post
    wow, things must have changed...for info my MOS was 2531 field radio operator, and was in TACP for 2nd Battalion 5th marines, 1st Marine Div. Korea Members were 2 pilots and about 4 or 6 enlisted men all 2531 MOS.

our call sign was budweiser 14
    Yes, things have changed quiet a bit.

And nice call sign.

Quote Originally Posted by USCFIGHTONUSC View Post
    A male radio operator can land you in any one of the following types of units/battalions.
    -Engineer
    -Artillery
    -Infantry
    -Tanks
    -AAV
    -Headquarters
    -Communications
    What about female radio operators?

Thread Information