Post 9/11 GI Bill specific question(s)
Create Post

Post 9/11 GI Bill specific question(s)

I've read online but am confused with this new program and what I am thinking about doing....

I'm thinking about enrolling in the Motorcycle Mechanics Institute (MMI) for their Harley Davidson program and take both the older model and new model electives.

I don't plan to work or do this as a profession, just a hobby to do in my garage during my spare time, which I have a lot of.

The MMI site doesn't have a tuition figure available, but the school is in Orlando, Florida...when I looked up the payable benefits, it was like $62K max benefits.

This program only pays the school funds directly for tuition or how does this work??

How does the BAH w/dependents work? If this is true, I think it's like $1440/month for Orlando...

Which way would be more beneficial to me, the new program or the old GI Bill system??

I'm not going to start anything until my VA nightmare is totally resolved, and I have a hearing on Oct 21st in Roanoke...

New GI BIll experts, please help me out here...I'm confused

they pay tuition directly to the school, you get 1000 a month regardless of dependants or not, and you get 1000 a year for books and stuff.

that's the basics of it.

your VA financial aid person at the school should have the rest of the info.

Thanks...I'm still confused....maybe I read it wrong....thought it was the E-5 rate w/dependents of the zip code where the school is...

I did read about the $1K a year for books etc. but all my books/tools/materials are included in tuitition.

I've contacted the school for information etc. on the tuition and both Harley electives.

I'm just hoping that the GI Bill will completely pay for the school and my housing while I'm there in Orlando....as wife and kid aren't going with me.

... I forgot about the BAH. the thousand was that fixed rate, sorry for the confusion.

What could I receive for a housing allowance if I qualify?
    The housing allowance is determined based on where your school is located. For more information about the housing allowance, visit the basic allowance for housing page (external link). For those attending foreign schools (schools without a main campus in the U.S.) the BAH rate is fixed at $1,333.00 for 2009.

............maximum per credit / maximum fees per term
    Florida ................. $295.00 / $62,000.00

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Ramsey View Post
    Thanks...I'm still confused....maybe I read it wrong....thought it was the E-5 rate w/dependents of the zip code where the school is...

I did read about the $1K a year for books etc. but all my books/tools/materials are included in tuitition.

I've contacted the school for information etc. on the tuition and both Harley electives.

I'm just hoping that the GI Bill will completely pay for the school and my housing while I'm there in Orlando....as wife and kid aren't going with me.
    You will get $500 / semester for books and supplies. How you spend it is up to you. If you do not attend full time, then the rate will be prorated.

OK, lets go this way for a moment....

Anybody heard if the VA is going to amend their policy for Chapter 33 benefits to include non-degree certificate programs??

The school I want to attend is in Orlando, FL and upon completion, you are given a certificate from Harley Davidson as a qualified mechanic accepted by them and their service departments.

Since I'm married and will essentially be supporting 2 households, the old GI Bill will just not do it for me at all....the program is about $24K all inclusive for tuition and materials but not including housing on the economy there.

If they don't change it, they are screwing a LOT of Veteran's that want a trade etc. but not necessarilly a degreed program...it's not right IMO...not at all.....

I can't speak for all, but I have been told by my school's veteran's office that tuition is paid directly to the student and NOT to the school. BAH is supposedly E-5 with dependents rate. I can't confirm any of this, though, as I am yet to receive a first payment.

You can apply for a $3,000 emergency payment online now if you are already enrolled in school.

Cpl Stein:

Under the new Post 9/11 GI Bill, the funds are paid directly to the school vice the student as in the past....in my case it's kinda cool....the school gives Veterans with a honorable discharge a 15% discount on tuition but bills the VA at the regular rate. The 15% goes to the Veteran after payment is made.

The BAH rate is paid at the E-5 w/dependents rate in the Zip Code the Veteran is attending school.

I have read about the $3K emergency payments as the VA dropped the proverbial ball yet once again and are not holding up their end of the agreement.

From my own reasearch and talking with several others about my specific issue, since UTI is not a "approved" IHL (Institute of Higher Learning) which doesn't lead to a Associate or Bachelor degree in motorcycle mechanics, it's not approved for the new GI BIll money and benefits.

I have written both Congressman Rick Boucher (D, VA) and Senator Jim Webb (D, VA) who is a former Marine Platoon Commander in Vietnam over the oversight and issue with Veteran's wishing to pursue Certificate Programs under the new GI Bill guidelines.

I have been told by several VSO's and also a VA Rep that this issue is acknowledged and is being addressed, but until it becomes law and is included as language into the new Bill, there is nothing the VA can do.

This was written in response to a article in Veteran's Today website and the VA official's e-mail was included so me being well, me...decided to write and CC'd Jim Davis of Veteran's of Change who is the son of a Marine MGySgt who passed away several years ago due to Agent Orange complications.

Mr XXXXXX:

While I applaud those members of Congress and the Senate into introducing this legislation to improve the benefits available to Veteran's in the pursuit of their educational goals, the program does have flaws and is not equitable to all Veterans.

Here is my example:

I served in the US Marine Corps from May 93' until July 07 when I was medically retired. I initially paid my $1200 into the original Montgomery GI Bill to establish my benefits. Now, I am looking to utilize the new GI Bill program to pursue my educational goals.

I am disabled and can no longer work, but wish to gain education to use for myself.

I wish to attend the Universal Technology Institute (UTI) in Orlando, Florida for their Motorcycle Mechanic Institute program specializing in Harley Davidson Motorcycle's. This is incidentally the only school authorized and supported by Harley Davidson in the country to produce qualified and certified mechanics. Incidentally, it is also a prerequisite to employment to Harley Davidson dealerships and maintenance facilities across the country. This school also is approved by Honda, Kawasaki, NASCAR, and other manufacturers for their factory trained personnel also. I would think that that would be enough of a credential to establish the school as a valid trade school producing entity for these types of trades that many Veteran's would be interested in to give them the edge in future career's and industries.

Since UTI is not on the list of eligible schools approved to use the new GI Bill benefits, I and other Veteran's are exempted from this training program.

I have contacted the office of Congressman Rick Boucher (D, VA) and also Senator Jim Webb (D, VA) who was one of the sponsors and champions of this new Bill with my concerns, comments, and possible recommendations and reasoning for such change to the BIll to include UTI and other types of programs that Veteran's would be interested in. Not all Veteran's are interested in or wish to pursue a Associate or Bachelor degree. Many of these trades require specialized training and skills that are outside the parameters of a "traditional" education but no less viable.

I pointed out that our own President's vision and direction views as the whitehouse.gov site that challenges all American's to attend at least one year of post-secondary education to reestablish ourselves in the global marketplace for education and training. I would think that the VA's policy was in direct conflict with our own Presidents vision and intent. Why should Veteran's be precluded in this, we wore the uniform and did our jobs proudly and have earned this benefit by our service to our Country.

Respectfully Submitted:
    SSgt USMC (Ret)

Mr. XXXXXX,
    Thank you for your email and for informing me of your concerns. Know that the VA along with the Major Veterans Service Organizations such as the American Legion, DAV and VFW is fully aware of this situation. To change this requires legislation and is out of VA's hands. The organizations are fighting for Congress to have this changed.
    Kevin

SSgt,

Your situation sounds nearly impossible. You could probably graduate three times over before Congress will do anything help you.

I wish you all the best.

Thanks for the correction. That's what I was told, but you know how that goes.

Cpl Stein:

This is the reason that Veteran's do not receive the benefits we deserve and have earned by our service...the VA want's Veterans to roll over and give up fighting the system which is decidedly not for us by the organization known as the VA.

That is not me...by accepting this and not doing or saying anything, I am condoning this behavior which I simply can't do. I am very aggressive by nature but also think and research before I pull the proverbial trigger.

I am not alone in this endeavor, nor are several large Veteran's Groups...this is being addressed at the Congressional level and I believe it will be changed via amendment to the Chapt 33 GI Bill benefits.

This issue is far larger than myself even though it will directly affect me and my future. Many Veteran's are simply not cut out or desire an Associates Degree or higher as it does not fit in with their educational desires or interests.

I figured it out the other day when I contacted the Florida Dept of Education. By the VA denying this and other schools for skilled trades and skills. UTI alone, if only 10% of the schools estimated 1500 student graduates a year, will lose over $7 million dollars a year in lost revenue to the state of Florida. This is NOT chump change if you figure conservatively a 5% tax will ammount to about $350,000 a year.

We as a group can NEVER, EVER give up, roll over, and accept blindly what this institution says we should receive for benefits. This is how legislation is passed and changed in favor of Veteran's. We are a very large percentage of the voting population and our elected officials depend on our votes to keep them or get them in office. Never forget this...this is one of the main reasons that we served in that we belive in our Constitution and our Democratic practice and the ideal of Freedom.

I put in for the GI bill a couple months ago and still waiting I got a letter saying there a little backed up 2 days ago

AlteredCustoms:

Sadly, your story is not unlike many other Veteran students who have upheld thier end of the deal only to be neglected and abused by the VA for benefits you and others earned.

The VA is a heinous joke on most levels. It is archaic, outdated, and needs to be totally updated to reflect our modern times and current conflict(s) for the benefit of all Veteran's.

Through years of neglect, lobbyists at the Congressional level, back-door deals, and other forms of douchery, the VA as a Governmental agency created and purportedly for Veterans remains adversarial towards Veteran's and their claims/issues hiding behind their legislative process allowing them to do so.

If we as a group of younger Veteran's do NOT jump up and down, contact our leadership and Veteran Organizations, nothing will change. By doing nothing, we are rolling over and saying we give up, we can't win...and that is what the VA wants. They want us to be complacant at best and beaten down at worst by the daunting process of change.

I, for one, will NOT be silenced into submission. I may not always be the victor, I may never win anything with these pricks...but I will not give up the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Ramsey View Post
    Senator Jim Webb (D, VA) who is a former Marine Platoon Commander in Vietnam
    Also, Sen. Webb is a former SecNav. I would hope he still has plenty of influence and connections when it comes to the VA.

I would say he has more connections since becoming a senator than he ever did as the SECNAV.

There is a School in York PA that has Motorcycle mechanic training, and is accepted by and accepts the GI Bill. The YTI Motorcycle Technology Center 717.757.8835 I know of at least 3 Marines going there right now and they are right down the street from a Harley plant.[/font]
    [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Give them a call they will be happy to help you through the GI bIll process.[/font]

Thread Information