Ak for a homeland defense rifle/ ranch rifle?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ak for a homeland defense rifle/ ranch rifle?

Hey Marines and Devildocs,
    What are your' thoughts about a semi auto AK47 in 7.62 x 39 for a homeland defense/ ranch rifle? The one I am referring to is a higher end one that gets about 1 - 1.5" moa at 100yards. I know it ain't an a M-16 for accuracy, but I am mostly looking for something to keep the Varmints away, both the 2 and 4 legged kind. So the question is would any self respecting Marine or DevilDoc shoot one? Thanks in advance for any responses.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRamirez View Post
    What are your' thoughts about a semi auto AK47 in 7.62 x 39 for a homeland defense/ ranch rifle? The one I am referring to is a higher end one that gets about 1 - 1.5" moa at 100yards. I know it ain't an a M-16 for accuracy, but I am mostly looking for something to keep the Varmints away, both the 2 and 4 legged kind. So the question is would any self respecting Marine or DevilDoc shoot one? Thanks in advance for any responses.
    1 - 1.5" MOA out of the box at 100 yards is pretty good for a semi-auto. M16A2's shoot 1-2 MOA out of the box at 100yds (closer to 2MOA). AK47 is a good gun for a ranch rifle, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    1 - 1.5" MOA out of the box at 100 yards is pretty good for a semi-auto. M16A2's shoot 1-2 MOA out of the box at 100yds (closer to 2MOA). AK47 is a good gun for a ranch rifle, for sure.
    Thanks Wookie, it is one of the "Arsenal" Bulgarian versions with a milled reciever. I was thinking about selling it and breaking down and getting an AR...but have been kind of undecided. 2 - 300 yards will be the longest shot I could concievably have to take with it, and anything beyond that will probably require a battle-rifle, and or a scope. I have always thought that life was too short to be humping with a ugly rifle, and despite the caliber and being finicky the M16A2/ AR versions are a sexy beast!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'm trying to get the picture out of my head of elmer fudd walking around with belt buckles on his shoes and carrying a blunder buss. Chasing them wascully wabbits.

How about a Mini-14? It shoots a standard .223 and is darn acurate.
    http://www.recguns.com/Pictures/Images/mini14.jpg

Try this It would be very good and you not need to be accurate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhstuvzMiB0

buy the M-16 or varient and then put this on it.

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/p...?categoryID=16

you'll never miss, day or night.

Petz, I want one of those for my M-4.

I know right!! makes me feel all warm inside.

I'll keep my 357 Revolver, thank you.

just put the trijicon on it with this thermal sight too... then it'll be the baddest .357 on earth.

Old Marine,
    You wouldn't feel under-gunned with a .357 for most anti-social functions? I am just thinking about the round count, and having more than 6 shots on hand if need be. I know that statistically speaking most gun fights last less than 6 shots, but I am thinking kind of a shtf/ Katrina (post hurricane) type of weapon since we live here on the Texas Gulf coast. Just something to keep the ranch & home safe and sound until law and order/ and all of the utilities have been restored. Hurricane Ike was kind of an eye opener for me, and in true boy scout fashion I have vowed to "Always be prepared." I already have (4) .357 revolvers on hand and have always been a wheelgun type of guy, but I am just thinking I may need an upgrade. Perhaps a nice lever action in .357 with a Trijicon???

Doc, as for Me, I'll Take only "Made in the USA"...

Quote Originally Posted by DocRamirez View Post
    I know it's getting tougher & tougher, & I'm getting older & older.
    Also, I drive an '82 El Camino & a '98 Dodge 1-ton (400,000+ miles).

Where I have a choice I buy only Merkin. I understand the damn 70's & 80's USA cars were piles of junk, but if I had any money and just HAD to have a new car, I'd buy and restore a '55 or '57 Chevy, the classiest cars ever put on the road. Nobody in my family will ever read this so I will affirm that my #1 son was conceived in the back seat of a brand new '55 Chevy Bel Air (1st Chevy V-8 engine). I got him started off in class.

But specifically, & thanks for the opening, as for weepons, I wouldn't have an AK-47, gold plated with diamond inserts, as a gift. Try me.

The US still makes the best of anything Military. My #1 weapon is a US 12 gage shot gun, in addition to a long list of others. Gary Hall, Made in the USA if you please, W-3-1 (1950-1951), and Gung Ho. Yeah, we were allies once.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hall View Post
    I know it's getting tougher & tougher, & I'm getting older & older.
    Also, I drive an '82 El Camino & a '98 Dodge 1-ton (400,000+ miles).

Where I have a choice I buy only Merkin. I understand the damn 70's & 80's USA cars were piles of junk, but if I had any money and just HAD to have a new car, I'd buy and restore a '55 or '57 Chevy, the classiest cars ever put on the road. Nobody in my family will ever read this so I will affirm that my #1 son was conceived in the back seat of a brand new '55 Chevy Bel Air (1st Chevy V-8 engine). I got him started off in class.

But specifically, & thanks for the opening, as for weepons, I wouldn't have an AK-47, gold plated with diamond inserts, as a gift. Try me.

The US still makes the best of anything Military. My #1 weapon is a US 12 gage shot gun, in addition to a long list of others. Gary Hall, Made in the USA if you please, W-3-1 (1950-1951), and Gung Ho. Yeah, we were allies once.
    Gary,
    Well I could not agree more in regard to the "buy american" idea. I am a Ford man, and most all of my firearms are made in america, Remigton, and Winchesters, with Ruger leading the charge for revolvers. But I do own a few ak type rifles, for down and dirty applications.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I always have been a big fan of browning shotguns. They went from being made in belgium to being made in japan. Hard to find one made in belgium these days. I'm a ford fan as well but a chevy won't hurt my feelings.

Not to long ago I went to change the clutch in my ranger and had to go buy the chilton book to figure it out. Not like I haven't been under a motor before but the cotten picking hydraulic assist on the clutch was made in india and all the other parts were made in Japan. American made my ass.

An older any american made vehicle suits my tastes just fine.

Thread Information