Is it hard to get the MOS you want?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is it hard to get the MOS you want?

Ive been talking with my marine recruiter for about 5 months now, sorting everything out. Medical stuff, trying to get myself mentally and physically ready for bootcamp. And ive tried talking to him about doing what MOS i want. Ive come to the decision that i really want to go into the 18 fields. preferably 1812 m1a1 tank crewman.

I guess my real question is how hard is it to get the MOS that i want? assuming that i get a relatively high score on my asvab.

Is there alot of competition to try and get into this MOS?

I dont mind going into the infantry, but for the comfort of my family and girlfriend i told them i would try and go into the 1812. so what is the likeliness that if i dont get 1812 that i will go into infantry?

i tried asking my recruiter these questions but it seems that he wants to go into another topic, or doesnt want to get into that right now. changes the subject

EDIT: im 17 right now, graduating highschool a semester early to enlist. I dont know if that changes anything.

Can't help you with your question, but when using the word Marine, it's always capitalized. You may want to check out the rules in the Poolee and the Ask A Marine forums too.

You have to be in DEP before you can pick a job... My advice, do your research, and then once you're in, you'll know what to request when they ask you... Do you have some sort of medical issue??

Quote Originally Posted by GyC View Post
    You have to be in DEP before you can pick a job... My advice, do your research, and then once you're in, you'll know what to request when they ask you... Do you have some sort of medical issue??
    No, i do not have any medical issues. I will try and research some more information. I have the information i want that entails the job as a tank crewman, and i know not to expect to get what i want when requesting my MOS. Could anyone direct me to a site that will give more info on choosing an MOS? Or would they have any books specifically on that, that you could recommend?

Thank You Marines.

Make sure you get a high score on your ASVAB, the higher the score, the better your choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Lobster View Post
    No, i do not have any medical issues. I will try and research some more information. I have the information i want that entails the job as a tank crewman, and i know not to expect to get what i want when requesting my MOS. Could anyone direct me to a site that will give more info on choosing an MOS? Or would they have any books specifically on that, that you could recommend?

Thank You Marines.
    Let me be more direct then, since you didn't catch my soft step... Why aren't you in the DEP yet??

Let me be more direct then, since you didn't catch my soft step... Why aren't you in the DEP yet??
    because i haven't decided if i want to start bootcamp 5 months from now or a year from now. im pretty sure i want to go in right after i graduate, but i also want to keep my options open

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Lobster View Post
    because i haven't decided if i want to start bootcamp 5 months from now or a year from now. im pretty sure i want to go in right after i graduate, but i also want to keep my options open
    A procrastinator... That's why your Recruiter starts changing the subject on jobs... He/She is more interested in when you're going to sh^t or get off the pot... You can't have a job in the Corps, and not be in the Corps... Just the same as walking around on a car lot, and never buying a car... Good luck to you! S/F

A procrastinator... That's why your Recruiter starts changing the subject on jobs... He/She is more interested in when you're going to sh^t or get off the pot... You can't have a job in the Corps, and not be in the Corps... Just the same as walking around on a car lot, and never buying a car... Good luck to you! S/F
    Thank You. I think i got all the information i needed.

Thanks again

No problem Sir, glad we Marines were of assistance... S/F

gunny, I don't think he understood.

he wants to know which job he's gonna get before he DEPs in 'cause he thinks the DEP is a binding contract.

kid, you need to DEP in, then a job you rate ('cause you need to score high enough on the ASVAB) will be offered that are available. You say you want to be commandant of the MC all day, but if you don't rate it you don't rate it.

the only way you can find out what you're capable of getting is after you DEP in. I made this so clear and accurate as I can after reading some stupid posts tonight so if you don't like the way I'm writing this then I'd suggest you go talk to the Army recruiter next door as you're not gonna be cut out for the Marines.

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    gunny, I don't think he understood.

he wants to know which job he's gonna get before he DEPs in 'cause he thinks the DEP is a binding contract.

kid, you need to DEP in, then a job you rate ('cause you need to score high enough on the ASVAB) will be offered that are available. You say you want to be commandant of the MC all day, but if you don't rate it you don't rate it.

the only way you can find out what you're capable of getting is after you DEP in. I made this so clear and accurate as I can after reading some stupid posts tonight so if you don't like the way I'm writing this then I'd suggest you go talk to the Army recruiter next door as you're not gonna be cut out for the Marines.
    Yah, i understand now that i need to DEP and take the asvab before i get any straight answers.

thanks again marines.

"yah" huh.... go away and come back when you get some respect.

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    "yah" huh.... go away and come back when you get some respect.
    i was never being sarcastic. the more i look through topics the more it seems that its impossible be as respectful as you want us to be towards you and alot of the other marines.

aside from that i was respectful.

see, that post was sarcastic. There are lots of poolees and Marine Friends who are respectful. You just seem to think we don't rate it.

read my last post again.

Thread Information