Never been easy to get back in the Corps?
Create Post

Never been easy to get back in the Corps?

Hey Marines!
    I have been on this site for a couple of years. It seems to me that once you leave the Corps, you can't get back in real easy. Has it always been this way?
    Semper Fi,
    Eric

HAHA welcome to my world of disapointments. I wouldnt say "Hard", but frustrating, and long drug out process comes to mind, especially for those who need waivers.
    Me, Ive been working on getting into the Reserves from a break in service from AD for 5 months now. Had another disapointment today but its just more waiting time luckily. Im not giving up though.

Ha...well you could have had my luck.

I got out in 2000. I was processing to go to the reserves in 2003 before the whole Iraq war kicked off. I was an 0351 filling an 0352 billet. No worries, a 2 week summer training would officially give me the MOS.

TWO DAYS before my papers hit the desk to join the unit, they get activated! Now, I am no longer allowed to join because I am an MOS mis-match. Again, no worries, they will just rush me to the two week training, get the MOS and join the unit before they ship.

Well due to much confusion, they send me to the FULL SOI training at Gieger (for the second time in my life). So, unit meets T/O and ships to Iraq. Leaves me here...doing nothing. I graduate SOI and head back to the unit to sit on my ass for a few months!

So I quit (love being non-ob) to get a job as a contractor and have been over here ever since! I do miss it...and am thinking of trying again once I get home next year.

You had to go through SOI AGAIN!?!?!?! Fukc that, although right now if it required me to do so I would. I need to get out of this sh!thole.

my coming back in was pretty quick and painless...now trying to pry information about how i do the reservist thing on the IMA Det is another story....
    i want to knock as much of my training out as fast as possible and they arent making it very easy to get the training scheduled
    i need rifle range, mcmap, pft, and cft at the very minimum

Quote Originally Posted by Supersquishy View Post
    You had to go through SOI AGAIN!?!?!?! Fukc that, although right now if it required me to do so I would. I need to get out of this sh!thole.
    Yeah, tell me about it! I outranked ALL the instructors! All they would say to me was "Man, this much suck for you huh?". lol

One cool thing was that since they couldn't put me in with the non-nco's, I had a whole squad bay to myself But I wouldn't wish a second time through SOI on anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by brian0351 View Post
    Yeah, tell me about it! I outranked ALL the instructors! All they would say to me was "Man, this much suck for you huh?". lol

One cool thing was that since they couldn't put me in with the non-nco's, I had a whole squad bay to myself But I wouldn't wish a second time through SOI on anyone!
    field day musta sucked...

I haven't started the process yet. But when I talked to the PSR, he said that I had to lat. move to a unit that was under T/O for my rank because my current MOS is full. No problem since that school is only 6 weeks! (funny thing is there is another unit much closer to me but they are over T/O). However, he said that the unit has the final say on if they take you. So, it sounds as if you have to go pleading for a home. Kind of like a lost puppy. But he did say that the whole process should take no longer than 3 months.

Quote Originally Posted by flyby View Post
    But he did say that the whole process should take no longer than 3 months.
    ...6 months later... still waiting

Quote Originally Posted by Supersquishy View Post
    ...6 months later... still waiting
    I knew it sounded too good to be true! FAIL!

It all goes back to the old saying, "I love the f**ing Marine Corps and the Marine Corps loves effing me."
    No real problem here, though. It gives the troops something to ***** about and, remember, if they ain't *****in', they ain't happy.

Thread Information