Gwotem
Create Post

Thread: Gwotem

Gwotem

I had a quick question since the ball is coming up. Ok well on MOL it says that I rate a GWOTEM along with other medals but I don't know how I rate the GWOTEM. Should I wear it if I don't know what I rate it for?

double check with your unit. i know a Marine in my unit that rated a Navy Commendation Medal on MOLand wore the ribbon during an uniform inspection, and one of my GySgt told him that he didn't rate it. few days later it was taken off his MOL

Check with your CONAD section. Likely it's because you are in Hawaii. But I could be wrong.

And school yourself on the Marine Corps awards system in the meantime, including what they are and what they mean. That way you can school YOUR Marines when they ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Check with your CONAD section. Likely it's because you are in Hawaii. But I could be wrong.

And school yourself on the Marine Corps awards system in the meantime, including what they are and what they mean. That way you can school YOUR Marines when they ask.
    I'm working on that...I work next to the awards section and I'm often asked questions about awards and the procedures on them by other Marines.

Awards System

Have you ever deployed any where if you have that is probably why you rate the GWOTEM. If you havn't then its probably a misprint, I didn't think Hawaii counted as a qualifying Area of Operation for the GWOTEM. Plus Sgt. Lep is right school yourself up on awards, and what they mean. I keep up on it pretty well, even after being out. You never know, I didn't get my GWOTSM, or MUC until after I got out. When I got out the only awards I had was the NDSM, and Rifle Badge. Had to do the paperwork myself to get the other two. The GWOTSM I got in 07, and the MUC just about a month ago. Its easier to do that stuff while your still in, once your out you have to go through the paperwork yourself. When your out you have to submit stuff to MCHQ, have them approve it, and get it DD-215 adjustments etc, etc. Remember don't wear an award until its official. Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    Here, use this and enjoy the BD Ball - http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=90338

I wonder if this guy ever found out if he rated the GWOTEM. Let us know Bro

im in hawaii and was told I would rate a GWOT ribbon after 30 days in the fleet, sure enough 30 days from check in it showed up on my MOL. i thought every Marine rated it after 30 days or is it just Hawaii/japan?

the GWOT is a Medal.

the GWOT is for every Marine/service member. the GWOTEM is no longer issued.

Quote Originally Posted by Fubar5812 View Post
    im in hawaii and was told I would rate a GWOT ribbon after 30 days in the fleet, sure enough 30 days from check in it showed up on my MOL. i thought every Marine rated it after 30 days or is it just Hawaii/japan?
    Well I know every Marine rates a GWOTSM after 30 days in the fleet, but no I haven't figured if I really rate it or not.

GWOTSM and GWOTEM are two different awards.

Quote Originally Posted by polizei View Post
    GWOTSM and GWOTEM are two different awards.
    I know that. MOL says that I rate both...

Confusion

Quote Originally Posted by fireandice View Post
    I know that. MOL says that I rate both...
    Which brings me back to my original question. Did you deploy anywhere, do you also have a Sea Service Deployment Ribbon. The GWOTEM is still awarded for various operations outside of the operating areas of Iraq and Afgan. The link below is a current listing of the approved areas, if you didn't deploy to one of these areas then the answer would be no. For those of you that keep thinking we are talking about the GWOTSM, your wrong. The GWOTSM is awarded for service in CONUS, the GWOTEM is for service outside of CONUS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_...itionary_Medal

Thread Information