Mental Preperation
Create Post

Mental Preperation

I'd like to ask all my fellow Poolee's how you are mentally preparing yourself for Boot Camp.

I, myself am very anxious. I leave for Boot Camp in 2 weeks. Its becoming more difficult for me to sleep and also the only subject on my mind is the USMC.

Right now im putting off any mental preperation untill I get on that bus. During the ride to Parris Island I just plan on reciting, "don't quit."

Drill it into your mind not to take anything to heart. It's all impersonal, the Drill Instructors think everyone is a nasty recruit, not just you.

There it is.. Take nothing to heart, from what all the Marines who come back from boot camp always say, the physical part is hard, but its almost all mental. Be stronger then the others, be the leader, be the one that everyone is looking for when they feel down, stay motivated and motivate others. If you think your tired, then you are NOT tired, thinking and being are two completely different things and you, I and all others need to learn to push past that first barrier, once you do it once, it gets easier to push yourself. Trust me, during wrestling season, there were times where I thought I would have NO chance, all I did was say HELL NO THIS SOB IS GOING DOWN, and pushes myself to limits that I didn't even know were possible. Granted I may of still loss half of those matches, I didn't get pinned and only let them get 3 points. Well im rambling.. Ill stop lol.

A bit off topic... but, what I find always motivates me when I don't want to go to the gym or for a run. I think of one part in the movie Ears Open Eyeballs Click, where they are on the hump, (it may be the Crucible, couldn't tell) and the recruit "hurts is back." The Drill Instructor runs up to him and is asking what's wrong, and the recruit uses "My" instead of "This Recruit's". The Drill Instructor gets up in his face and yells "MY MY MY MY MY? THIS RECRUIT. THIS RECRUIT. YOU WILL FREAKIN' DIE WITH THAT DISCIPLINE, DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME. NOW GET UP......" This part re-affirms why I wanted to join the Corps, and always gets me to not be lazy, and it gives me a bunch of goosebumps.

Moral of the story? Mentally burn a few things like that in your brain. Things that Motivate, and I mean MOTIVATE, the hell out of you. That way, when the going gets tough, you can recall that memory and it will give you an extra boost to get through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Capital M View Post
    A bit off topic... but, what I find always motivates me when I don't want to go to the gym or for a run. I think of one part in the movie Ears Open Eyeballs Click, where they are on the hump, (it may be the Crucible, couldn't tell) and the recruit "hurts is back." The Drill Instructor runs up to him and is asking what's wrong, and the recruit uses "My" instead of "This Recruit's". The Drill Instructor gets up in his face and yells "MY MY MY MY MY? THIS RECRUIT. THIS RECRUIT. YOU WILL FREAKIN' DIE WITH THAT DISCIPLINE, DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME. NOW GET UP......" This part re-affirms why I wanted to join the Corps, and always gets me to not be lazy, and it gives me a bunch of goosebumps.

Moral of the story? Mentally burn a few things like that in your brain. Things that Motivate, and I mean MOTIVATE, the hell out of you. That way, when the going gets tough, you can recall that memory and it will give you an extra boost to get through it.
    I've been wanting to see that movie but by the time I order it and it gets here ill be at Parris Island.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewMacieira View Post
    I've been wanting to see that movie but by the time I order it and it gets here ill be at Parris Island.

It's alright, kind of vague, you can get by without seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Capital M View Post
    It's alright, kind of vague, you can get by without seeing it.
    I saw a documentary on the Military Channel that depicted USMC boot camp at Parris Island. Took place in 2001.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Mental preparation??? Now, that's funny.

While on the bus, just keep smacking yourself on the forehead, while repeating, "Why me? Why me?"

Seriously, Don't take things personal, and you'll be fine.

Poolee/DEP Free Member Hartford's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Have someone scream in your face?

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post

While on the bus, just keep smacking yourself on the forehead, while repeating, "Why me? Why me?"

Sgt, I may or may not have just let out a loud, laugh-like grunt in the middle of the library. Got a few looks from the ones actually here to work and not procrastinate.

Thanks for the chuckles.

Mental preparation??? Now, that's funny.

Seriously, Don't take things personal, and you'll be fine.
    Best advice in this thread.. There is no preparing I don't care what you think you know, you have no idea haha... Like SGT. said don't take anything personal and seriously don't think just react. Speed volume and intensity is all I have to say. You soon will find out the meaning of those words trust me..

I think the only bit of mental prep. advice that is going to help is to not let it go to your head. The DI's are going to lay into you any way they can from what I hear so be prepared to take alot of stuff from them that you normally would get angry/upset about in civi life.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Like I've said before,,,Once you jump off a cliff, you may as well enjoy the ride.

Like I've said before,,,Once you jump off a cliff, you may as well enjoy the ride.
    Hahaha, great analogy there, Sergeant. My SNCOIC tells me to treat every day as a game. If the DI manages to break you, he wins.

Thread Information