Possible knee meniscus/ligament tear...what next?
Create Post
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Possible knee meniscus/ligament tear...what next?

A question for any/all Marines,

According to a Corpsman who examined my son a couple days ago at SOI / Infantry Training Battalion, he may have a torn meniscus or ligament in his knee.....

Next step is an MRI to determine definite diagnosis. Assuming an MRI shows a ligament/meniscus injury that requires surgery to repair....and assuming after the 3-4 months (approximately) of healing time is done and assuming he is 100% good as new.....will he then resume training with a new Company as an 0311, graduate and then go to MART/BRC? (as he was scheduled to do since he enlisted with a UZ / 0321 Recon contract)?

As you can imagine, he is big-time depressed right now and is worried this will kill his shot at reconnaissance......

I am trying to re-assure him that this is just a temporary set-back....that many infantry Marines get this type of injury and that assuming he returns to 100%, he will simply pick-up where he left off.....that it's merely a delay, not a lost opportunity......

Any opinion's or first-hand experience anyone cares to share?

Many grunts get injured. The MRI will let him know everything and if there is an actual injury, and if surgery is needed, he will be there for around 4 months letting it heal (at least) then return to training where he left off at. Tell him to LET IT HEAL; dont be walking around on it, and dont let it get him down. It is just a minor set back. NOW... if he injures it again, that could kill the chance of recon. As long as he does what the doc says and takes it super easy on it he should be good. Tell him to stock up on MSM, glucosamine, and calcium while he is resting... it really helps.

Just let him know to keep his head up, it will all work out.

Plagued with meniscus tears for many years in the Corps. Had three scopes (arthroscopic surgery). If its just a meniscus tear, he'll be full up within a month. At his age he'll recover from a scope in a matter of weeks (not months). Just take it easy for a couple weeks after the surgery and you'll usually be good to go.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks J Cooper and usmcdanno for your comments and encouragement!

I'll pass that info along to my son!

Credits
    Savings
    Good News update!

A Navy Commander who physically examined my son's knee last Tuesday diagnosed it as severe tendonitis.....no torn ligaments or meniscus, thankfully......so the Corpsman was apparently incorrect......still wish they would have done an MRI, however, just to be certain.

Commander said no surgery needed. He is being treated with anti-inflammatories, wearing a knee brace for a week or two and is on light duty for a week or so....he's not getting dropped back.....still training with his original platoon....

We're just keeping our fingers crossed and praying that he will be back to 100% by end of SOI/ITB and ready to begin MART/BRC afterwards.....

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Hoping all goes well for your son !!

That's good news. Glad he doesn't need surgery. That's always the worst option. Tell him to take it VERY easy. The Corps is actually pretty good about letting you recover, just make sure he takes advantage of it!

S/F
    Gunny Dan

Corpsman are like practitioning nurses. but have a "major" in combat life saving.

they aren't professionals at the early ranks in the sense of non-resident doctors.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks very much for your encouragement and supportive words, Marines!

It means a lot to my son when I let him know that fellow Marines and NCO's are supporting him!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoDad View Post
    Good News update!

A Navy Commander who physically examined my son's knee last Tuesday diagnosed it as severe tendonitis.....no torn ligaments or meniscus, thankfully......so the Corpsman was apparently incorrect......still wish they would have done an MRI, however, just to be certain.

Commander said no surgery needed. He is being treated with anti-inflammatories, wearing a knee brace for a week or two and is on light duty for a week or so....he's not getting dropped back.....still training with his original platoon....

We're just keeping our fingers crossed and praying that he will be back to 100% by end of SOI/ITB and ready to begin MART/BRC afterwards.....
    A good doctor can tell by manipulating the knee. I've had tendinitis in my left knee twice and it is a pain (literally). The first time I was up and moving fine in about two-weeks (but I was 26 years old), the last time I was on a cane for several months (but I was 54).

At his age, if he follows medical orders about the brace, he should be fine pretty fast.

Thread Information