Career in the USMC
Create Post

Career in the USMC

I recently signed an 8 year contract as 03XX route, 4 years active and 4 years inactive. I received 80k from the GI Bill, and also another 50k kicker for college. I don't want any of this to go to waste so I planned on going to college during my 4 years inactive. My question has two parts.

- What will my living situation be like during my 4 years of inactive duty? How will I receive pay? What are my possible housing situations while attending college as a Reserve Marine?

- The second part to my question is quite blunt, can I be removed from the USMC for no reason? I want to make the the Marines a career option. I wanted to go through the Officer route once I achieved my degree as well.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Wow? Just wow. I here do bequeth you 17 credits and hopefully another bong hit will make you think more clearly. Going on a Marine site and poking fun equates to poking a hornets nest. Test your luck.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewMacieira View Post
    - What will my living situation be like during my 4 years of inactive duty? How will I receive pay? What are my possible housing situations while attending college as a Reserve Marine?

- The second part to my question is quite blunt, can I be removed from the USMC for no reason? I want to make the the Marines a career option. I wanted to go through the Officer route once I achieved my degree as well.
    Inactive duty is also known as Individual Ready Reserve.
    Living situation is up to you.
    You have no formal place of daily duty.
    You can ,however, volunteer to be activated, as well as be required to go back on active status by the USMC.
    While on IRR you can be called back for any reason, to include urinalysis testing, PFT, etc.
    It is all up to the reserve command.
    You will not receive a regular paycheck from the DoD while on IRR unless it is for your education in the form of the GI Bill.
    Housing is your problem while on IRR.

There are reasons if you do find yourself forced out.
    There may be a mandatory force draw down.
    Or if you don't make SSgt in 13 years you will be forced out.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete0331 View Post
    Inactive duty is also known as Individual Ready Reserve.
    Living situation is up to you.
    You have no formal place of daily duty.
    You can ,however, volunteer to be activated, as well as be required to go back on active status by the USMC.
    While on IRR you can be called back for any reason, to include urinalysis testing, PFT, etc.
    It is all up to the reserve command.
    You will not receive a regular paycheck from the DoD while on IRR unless it is for your education in the form of the GI Bill.
    Housing is your problem while on IRR.

There are reasons if you do find yourself forced out.
    There may be a mandatory force draw down.
    Or if you don't make SSgt in 13 years you will be forced out.
    Understood. Very helpful, thank you for the information.

Through personal experience, have you found most Marines stay in the service for at least 20 years? Or leave for personal reasons? To celebrate my High School Graduation my family took me out to dinner and our waiter was a Former Marine. He spent 13 years as an 03 MOS. Though once his baby daughter was born he decided to end his career in the USMC. My father's reaction was, "You only had 7 years to go before you could retire!" The Marine also told me I should get my education, and stressed how important it was. I also was told the same by my Ssgt. Which is why I want to take advantage of the G.I. Bill and the Kicker. So if for some reason I didn't want to re-enlist, I would have the education and Military experience to succeed. Though as passionate as I am about physical fitness and the USMC, that day would only come when a wheelchair holds me back.

on another note...if you do school while you are in it doesn't use up any of your gi bill, the military covers your tuition at most community colleges, you do have to get approval from your command to do it though and depending on your duty station or MOS you may not have that opportunity. there are quite a few online courses you would be able to take as well

Through personal experience, have you found most Marines stay in the service for at least 20 years? Or leave for personal reasons?
    No, not at all.
    Very few stay in that long on active.
    Active reserve is different.
    There are only so many reenlistment spots available.
    Depending on your MOS, only 1 out of 4 Marines can reenlist.
    Marines on their first enlistment make up the majority of the USMC.

Also you can't determine if you want the full 20 years in the USMC.
    You haven't even been to Boot Camp yet.
    Get into the Fleet before you make a decision.

If you go to an infantry battalion it will be very difficult to complete any college courses while active duty.

If you go to an infantry battalion it will be very difficult to complete any college courses while active duty.
    Thank you for both your posts, very informative and appreciated.

I just wonder if infantry is doable as a career. But I hesitate to ask because I havent had any experience whatsoever in the field.

Thank you for both your posts, very informative and appreciated.

I just wonder if infantry is doable as a career. But I hesitate to ask because I havent had any experience whatsoever in the field.
    Hmm, not exactly.
    If you go officer you will have to take a staff position at one point, even though you may still be with an infantry battalion.

Hmm, not exactly.
    If you go officer you will have to take a staff position at one point, even though you may still be with an infantry battalion.
    Understood. Thank you for taking the time to answer some of my questions.

Only about 30-40 percent of all Marines, both Officer and Enlisted, are "Career" Marines....just the way it is....we have the highest 1st term attrition rate in the DoD and the smallest number of active 1st term reenlistments also.

Somebody mentioned the SSgt time frame for promotion of 13 years, which is true, but technically to add to this Cpl's have a 8 year limit also to be promoted to Sgt.

Many things can happen over time to a Marine to end his service. Medical is a big one...it's a very physical lifestyle and the strains of the job are hard on the body. I knew very few older/career Marine's who did not have some sort of sports-injury i.e. shin-splints, foot problems, ankle problems etc. through time...but many never said anything to anybody as they didn't want to flag themselves.

Then, there's the legal side of the house. Not saying you aren't 100% upstanding, but bad things happen to Marine's....DUI/DWI, spouse issues, performance issues, criminal activities...the list goes on.

Depending on your MOS, that will be a big factor in off duty education. Not saying it's impossible, but it may be very difficult. There are a number of in-service commisioning programs available each year to qualified Marine's. Like I always told my Marine's as a Career Planner, the most they'll tell you is no...if no, re-apply next year.

Lastly, no Marine I ever really knew went in with the assumption that they were making this a career. I know I didn't when I joined. Being a career Marine is one of the highlights of my life that I'm proud of and wouldn't change a thing, but it was never a easy road. Do the right things at the right times and you should fare well....but a lot can happen contract to contract to Marines.

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Ramsey View Post
    Only about 30-40 percent of all Marines, both Officer and Enlisted, are "Career" Marines....just the way it is....we have the highest 1st term attrition rate in the DoD and the smallest number of active 1st term reenlistments also.

Somebody mentioned the SSgt time frame for promotion of 13 years, which is true, but technically to add to this Cpl's have a 8 year limit also to be promoted to Sgt.

Many things can happen over time to a Marine to end his service. Medical is a big one...it's a very physical lifestyle and the strains of the job are hard on the body. I knew very few older/career Marine's who did not have some sort of sports-injury i.e. shin-splints, foot problems, ankle problems etc. through time...but many never said anything to anybody as they didn't want to flag themselves.

Then, there's the legal side of the house. Not saying you aren't 100% upstanding, but bad things happen to Marine's....DUI/DWI, spouse issues, performance issues, criminal activities...the list goes on.

Depending on your MOS, that will be a big factor in off duty education. Not saying it's impossible, but it may be very difficult. There are a number of in-service commisioning programs available each year to qualified Marine's. Like I always told my Marine's as a Career Planner, the most they'll tell you is no...if no, re-apply next year.

Lastly, no Marine I ever really knew went in with the assumption that they were making this a career. I know I didn't when I joined. Being a career Marine is one of the highlights of my life that I'm proud of and wouldn't change a thing, but it was never a easy road. Do the right things at the right times and you should fare well....but a lot can happen contract to contract to Marines.
    I'll take this information to heart. Thank you for taking the time to inform and educate a nobody poolee such as myself. Truely grateful.

You aren't a "nobody"....you've taken the initiative to respectfully ask questions about your possible future which is commendable...

All of the comments made offer different ideas and insights into being a Career Marine...I have a different perspective from most as I was a Career Planner for a very long time....and seen both the best and worst of Marine's on a daily basis.

There is no one certain formula for success....every MOS is different. Just because you can be a great Aviation Mechanic doesn't mean that you would be a good grunt, and vice versa...all Marine's have their strengths and are better at some things than others.

Thread Information