Day after Crucible/Personal belongings
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Day after Crucible/Personal belongings

Just had a couple quick questions for you Marines

1) What is the day after the Crucible like, after the warrior breakfast do you just go about like any other training day, or is there down time?

2) When are you granted access to everything you brought to boot camp? I know I've got a while, but I was just wondering about bringing contact lenses down to have for family day/graduation (if allowed by my Drill Instructors) or having my parents mail them to me toward the end of 3rd phase, just wondering if I was going to have access to my personal belongings before the last day.

I know you want more detailed answers to your questions, but for now, check the training matrix out on this site...it may help answer some of your questions.
    http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/training/index.asp

As for bringing contact lenses to boot camp, leave them home. You'll never be able to wear them during boot camp training anyway.

Yea. Be the one to sneak contact lenses into boot camp then wear them in the gas chamber.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Once you get in the fleet (I remember wearing my own going into A School) you can wear your own but I'm sure there are stiff regs. You can't have a pair of pimped out glasses with colored lenses and stuff. They MUST look good on your mug while in uniform.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Never mind...............I'm old and you wear lenses.

Oh, no, I wasn't intending to wear them at during RT, just wondering if I could wear them for graduation, But PFC LASW's link answered both my questions (other than wearing contacts for graduation)

Thank you Marines.

Basically it depends on your SDI. I saw kids in other platoons wearing their civilian glasses after we got back from the Crucible/Warrior Breakfast. My SDI wouldn't allow us to, including during graduation, so we had to wear our BCG's until we were dismissed. I no sooner went to pick up my last seabag and threw my civilian glasses on.

In MCT, some kids got away with wearing their civilian glasses all the time, while I toughed it out with my BCG's that loved to fog up from heat and sweat. Once we got our civilian belongings out of storage at the end of MCT, I immediately threw my civilian glasses back on.

btw, in boot, be sure to call them portholes. I got quarterdecked for calling them glasses one time.

Aye PFC, portholes it is.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It's a vague and long ago recollection and may or may not be different now. We packed our trash into a box and it went to storage in supply for the duration of boot. I've heard squids and maybe even new Marine recruits mail their stuff home. On with the show. We got our box back a day or so before we graduated. I had worn a coat ( shipped from Colorado in March) . Coat didn't fit and most of the other stuff I couldn't even remember... short list but still. Take the minimum, you are better off that way.

ITS ... now called SOI & / MCT. Every Marine a rifleman and all that happy horse****. Graduation from ITS we were told no one is going anywhere until such and such boom box turns up. Sweating on the parade deck sitting on your seabag for hours. Boom box never turned up; we all graduated and continued to march.

You take extra crap to MCT or follow-on school plan or losing or breaking most or all of it. Live a spartan life for a few months then get your 27" tv with your X-box and cell phone later. The only thing left to complain about is no AC in the barracks.

also...donot shave your head before you leave...they are still gonna cut your hair whether you have any or not...and bootcamp haircuts are painful....lol

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Try at all costs to avoid living in escondido, california and being stationed in mirimar. Somehow the combination sucks the brains right out of you.

Quote Originally Posted by TJKUSMC View Post
    Yea. Be the one to sneak contact lenses into boot camp then wear them in the gas chamber.
    Ha! I'd love to see that.

In the end it's up to your Senior Drill Instructor, but the Recruits/Fresh Marines in my platoon where allowed to wear their civilian eye wear- including contacts- if they had them. Some had their families mail contacts to them, some had them in their personal effects when they arrived.

You will put everything you show up with (minus your documents, ID card, etc) into a box the day/night you get there. The box will go into an organized storage room until the week of graduation. If you had contacts in your pocket when you showed up you would get them before you graduate.

Answer your question, poolee?

Quote Originally Posted by Parker-0321 View Post
    In the end it's up to your Senior Drill Instructor, but the Recruits/Fresh Marines in my platoon where allowed to wear their civilian eye wear- including contacts- if they had them. Some had their families mail contacts to them, some had them in their personal effects when they arrived.

You will put everything you show up with (minus your documents, ID card, etc) into a box the day/night you get there. The box will go into an organized storage room until the week of graduation. If you had contacts in your pocket when you showed up you would get them before you graduate.

Exactly, I might add one bit just so you have a fresh pair of contacts for the graduation is if you wear disposables, bring a pair that are in its original sealed container, that way they will be brand new. You don't want to mess with a used set stored in a hot storage for 3 months. Again like Parker said, you will get your personal belongings a day before graduation. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Parker-0321 View Post
    Ha! I'd love to see that.

Perfectly, thank you LCpl..

Cpl, that's what I had planned on doing if I didn't have my parents mail them to me at some point during third phase. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by LASWMarine View Post
    I know you want more detailed answers to your questions, but for now, check the training matrix out on this site...it may help answer some of your questions.
    http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/training/index.asp

As for bringing contact lenses to boot camp, leave them home. You'll never be able to wear them during boot camp training anyway.
    I am impressed, good post Devil.

Thread Information