Platoon Commander
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Platoon Commander

Good morning gentleman,

I just graduated Marine Corps Officer Candidate School in Quantico. I have one year of college left before I finish my bachelor's degree and commission as a 2nd Lt.
    While I was at OCS, one thing that was drilled into our heads constantly is that we need to learn as much about leadership and develop our leadership ability as well as possible. I also learned from some of the priors and from our opportunities with NCO panels that there are many very good new Lts and many very bad ones. So, in an effort to learn what makes a good 2nd Lt, I would like to know in your experiences what have your good Platoon Commanders done and what have your bad ones done? Basically, what makes a bad Officer and what makes a good Officer from your point of view?

Thank you,

Very respectfully,

EM

Good morning ladies and gentleman.***

I should've caught that before I posted. I apologize if my omission offended anyone.

The bottom line is that a good Lt will listen to and hear what his PltSgt is saying. He will also listen to his NCO's. Those are the people with the experience to pass on.

A not so good Lt has it stuck in his head that he is an officer and what he says goes. He thinks that what he was taught from a book is the only way to do anything. He doesn't seek guidance from other senior Lt's or from his PltSgt.

A good Lt is someone that has a plan of attack for just about anything, but is always open for sugestions from his PltSgt and NCO's.

Thats my .02 cents worth anyway.

Sir,

In my own experience the key to being a good leader is leadership by example. Be firm but fair. Listen to those who have been there before you. Show a genuine concern for the welfare and well-being of your Marines. Do this and you will be respected. You want to establish respect with the SNCOs, NCOs, and junior Marines. It is important to "earn" their respect and not necessarily their friendship.

Good luck Sir!

Quote Originally Posted by jprtech View Post
    Sir,

In my own experience the key to being a good leader is leadership by example. Be firm but fair. Listen to those who have been there before you. Show a genuine concern for the welfare and well-being of your Marines. Do this and you will be respected. You want to establish respect with the SNCOs, NCOs, and junior Marines. It is important to "earn" their respect and not necessarily their friendship.

Good luck Sir!
    he's not commisioned yet, he's not a sir...

0331 was pretty darn close....

I'd also say that you need to develop a leadership philosophy. be able to communicate it to your Marines and NCOs... live by it... and don't change it from day to day... if you want to inspire initiative don't get mad the next day because they didn't follow orders to the T....

some of the other SNCOs may recognize what I'm saying... but it's important to good team building.

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    he's not commisioned yet, he's not a sir...
    Roger that SSgt. My bust.

1. Don't be a pompus dikcweed that demands respect from everyone.
    2. Don't get caught screwing an enlisted female on the Chaplains desk.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersquishy View Post
    1. Don't be a pompus dikcweed that demands respect from everyone.
    Absolutely Super! Respect is something that is to be earned and not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by UMDStudent24 View Post
    Good morning gentleman,

I just graduated Marine Corps Officer Candidate School in Quantico. I have one year of college left before I finish my bachelor's degree and commission as a 2nd Lt.
    While I was at OCS, one thing that was drilled into our heads constantly is that we need to learn as much about leadership and develop our leadership ability as well as possible. I also learned from some of the priors and from our opportunities with NCO panels that there are many very good new Lts and many very bad ones. So, in an effort to learn what makes a good 2nd Lt, I would like to know in your experiences what have your good Platoon Commanders done and what have your bad ones done? Basically, what makes a bad Officer and what makes a good Officer from your point of view?

Thank you,

Very respectfully,

EM
    Most of us on this board are not Gentlemen. We are the troops. The right to be called a Gentleman was given by an act of Congress.

In answer to your question, listen to your SNCO's and NCO"s. Simple as that.

Old Marine is right...listen to the SNCO's and NCO's advice...the will teach you how to lead.

Quote Originally Posted by jprtech View Post
    In my own experience the key to being a good leader is leadership by example. Be firm but fair. Show a genuine concern for the welfare and well-being of your Marines. Do this and you will be respected.
    More good advice. Also what SSgt P said about leadership philosophy. Something my Dad said to me (He was a Marine in Korea) was to be a good leader, you first have to be a good follower.

Congratulations, Candidate.

There is no doubt that you need to keep ears and eyes open when NCO's and SNCO's have something instructive to say. However, remember also that you're there to lead Marines, so show some sack.

Your first duty is to define the mission. The second duty is to provide whatever is necessary for your Marines to complete the mission.

Thanks to all of you for the advice. I greatly appreciate your responses and your time.

Very respectfully,

EM

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    When i was a 1st.Sgt. My CO told his LT's: "when you develope a plan, do not do anything until "TOP" reviews it and approves".
    However, I must say i was a pretty good instructor in leadership and planning.

Smadge

Quote Originally Posted by smadge View Post
    When i was a 1st.Sgt. My CO told his LT's: "when you develope a plan, do not do anything until "TOP" reviews it and approves".
    However, I must say i was a pretty good instructor in leadership and planning.

Smadge
    is it even possible to kiss your own ass?

Thread Information