An appreciation of Combat Docs
Create Post

An appreciation of Combat Docs

Hey all,

Just wanted to make a quick post. My dad is a retired Navy Officer and Korean War "Doc."

I had to take him recently to the hospital and after many hours of waiting in the ER, he was admitted and diagnosed with a perforated ulcer. While there, I had the pleasure of meeting an Army Reservist, a Flight Medic working in the ER that night and I wanted to say thanks to him and the excellent service we got there and that now my dad is home after 3+ weeks in sick bay and he's doing much better.

I heard this medic talking about deploying to Iraq soon so I walked over and introduced myself and brought him over to talk to my dad. My dad was obviously very ill, but when he found out this young man was deploying he woke up and bit and chatted with him briefly. My dad told him that he knew he would have lots of experiences and fun to share when he got back and wished him luck. We thanked him for his service, shook his hand and let him get back to his very busy duties in the hospital.

After that, our services and such got much better and my dad was admitted and taken very well care of quickly. Nothing like making a nice military connection during a very stressful time of need. That quick conversation made me and my dad feel so much better-ooh-rah!

Semper Fi All!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    GodBless Your PaPa

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Corporal...please pass on my best reguards to your Dad, and thank him for his service. Prayers out to you and your family...SEMPER FI....Doc Greek

Will do Doc! Thanks all for the good wishes!

/salute & Semper Fi!

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I am not sure this is where I should be asking as I am new to this site. I am the mom of a rising HS senior who is planning to enlist after graduation. I have some medical questions about eligibility. First, my son is a very strong athlete and in great physical shape. He has played varsity lacrosse since his freshman year and at 5'6'' and a midfield defender, can take out the big over 6' tall guys on a regular basis! (OK, I'm a mom)Anyway, the only thing this kid has ever wanted to do or be is a Marine. He has college money, but insists that he wants to work his way up through the ranks instead of coming in as an officer. I tell you all this because he will be devastated if a medical condition should keep him out of the military. Here are my questions:
    1) Will seasonal allergies that he takes Allegra for disqualify him?
    2) He does have some mild color-blind issues. Sees all colors, but some very close reds/yellows are hard to distinguish. Will this disqualify him?
    3) He does wear contact lenses. Will the Marine corps allow us as parents to have the laser surgery done at an approved facility, if we cover all costs?
    I really appreciate anyone responding who can give me answers. Thanks!

1. Allergies will not disqualify.
    2. Not sure about the color blidness, may only exclude certain jobs. I have a Corpsman buddy color blind and we always messed with him about wearing blue socks while in uniform.
    3. My specialty- Having laser surg is waiverable. DO NOT go to a price discounter. Go to a reputable MD that is Board Certified. He can have for free in military but wait list is extremley long. Any more specific questions or if you want to me research Docs you have found than just message me. I am in the eye field and ran a Laser center for a major practice here in San Diego. If he wants to go Spec ops I would hold off on surg and double check to make sure if surg is done first he can still be waivered. I know for a fact Spec Ops have priority for Laser surg once in.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the info! I would definitely only go to a board certified doc. I have a friend who had the surgery about 2 years ago with great results. She used TLC centers and had the guy who did Tiger woods surgery do hers, but I 'm not sure Tiger's doc is still in the area.(Northern VA) If you know of any prefered groups on the east coast I would appreciate your advice. Also, I just recently heard that since my son is not yet 18, his eyes are still developing and surgery should be put off until he is 21. What is your opinion about this? He will most likely want to go spec ops. I had read somewhere that you can't be colorblind and be in SEALS. Do you think this would also be true for the marine spec ops (recon, isn't it)? If he excells in all areas and makes it in every other way, do you think he could get a waiver for colorblindness? If he sees all colors, just has a problem with some close shades, what is the issue from a military point of view? I appreciate any incite you may have!

A quick update: My Dad is doing much better! Hes eating like a Marine and is back to driving! Hes a tough ole Devil Doc, but we all already knew that!

Thanks all! Ooh-rah!

Thread Information