For All:

I learned this evening that a very old friend, going back to North China in 1946, died yesterday. This was Col John B. Sweeney, USMC (Ret.) This Marine joined the 1st Battalion, 5th Marines 1stMarDiv at Tangku China in the summer of 1946.

At the time he joined the battalion we had less than a half dozen officers. Gunnery Sergeants commanded companies, with PltSgts (which was then a rank, not a position) for XOs. Sweeney's reputation preceded him. Most of us knew that he had been awarded the Navy Cross for the fight he commanded at Bloody Ridge on Guadalcanal. The Blue and White Navy Cross was a rarity then as it is today. Most of those who received the Navy Cross got the kind with their name, rank and serial number on them.

In 1946 then Major Sweeney could not have been more than 26 years old. He was a picture book Marine, and treated everyone with respect and he smiled easily and often. After 1/5 moved down to Guam in the May of 1947 officers and SNCOs were allowed to bring their dependents to the island. I met Mrs. Sweeney at that time, and what a good looking couple they made.

Our paths didn't cross again until Viet Nam in 1965. Sweeney was a Colonel by then and Chief of Staff of the 3dMarDiv. He'd changed very little since I last saw him, both in appearance and the way he approached his duties. I didn't see a great deal of him during the six months I commanded a rifle battalion, but when I returned to 3dMarDiv Headquarters as Division Operations Officer I had contact with him several times a day.

I hope every man Jack on this board reads what I've included in the quote below. That includes the poolees or whatever they call themselves. This is the kind of fights that Marines get into. No quarter asked, none given. If you're gonna call yourself a Big Bad Assed Marine, you must be capable of standing cheek to jowl with you're fellow Marines. If you die in the process....well that's the ultimate sacrifice all of us must pay in order to wear our Emblem.

I am saddened by the fact that Col Sweeney has died. On the other hand I'd not heard of him in more than 40 years and I'm delighted that he cheated the grim reaper for as long as he did. I found the story of Col Sweeney's fight on Bloody Ridge, and include it below. Such fights were common during the engagements Marines fought in WW II, and the only uncommon fact in this case is that then Major Sweeney survived to lead a long and hopefully happy life. My sharpest right hand salute to this gentleman. Respectfully, Semper Fidelis, Sully

John Sweeney's B Company held the center of the line, the vortex of the battle for Bloody Ridge during the main attack on the nights of September 13 and 14. He was the third B Company commander in twenty-four hours.

As we were pulling back, Edson came up to me and said, "Monville is being evacuated, and you're now the B Company commander." I had no officers -- they were all gone. But the NCOs [noncommissioned officers] were all strong. At the time I was too tired to realize the situation I was handed, but as the sun was going down, I realized more and more what was given to me.
As darkness fell, Edson came back again with his binoculars and was looking down the ridge. I remember he said to me, "John, this is it. We are the only ones between the Japs and the airfield. You must hold this position." And he walked away with Burak [Edson's runner] trailing behind. It brought it all home.

One of the things that bothered me was leaving the 1st Platoon down where they were going to be the first hit. They knew it also.

Shortly after darkness fell, this platoon and Haines' platoon were hit by the full weight of the Japanese attack. They just ran through the position. In the dark, those that survived were pulling back to the ridge, firing, throwing grenades.

They were twenty yards or thirty yards away down the ridge and also fortunately firing over our heads. At that time, there were several banzai charges up on the ridge preceded by flares. The flares gave them direction, and some had smoke. Some thought it was gas. I think it was the Marines themselves hollering, "Gas!" I heard this in the distance. It contributed to some temporary panic because we didn't have any gas masks then. It became individual and unit small-arms fire.

About that time, I got a call from Edson on my SCR [radio] that Maddox handed to me, and he said, "What is your situation down there?" Before I could answer, a voice broke in: "My position is excellent, sir." Apparently they had gotten the C Company SCR and were on the channel. It was the Japanese -- of course, the hair goes up! Right after he said it, I caught my breath and realized what had been said, and I'm sure Edson did, and I said, "Cancel that last information, here's my situation." I gave them in vague terms because they were listening.

They were moving into position in the ravine in my rear and also to the front, and at the point he acknowledged the information and then came back with, "Can you take over spotting for artillery?" I gave him the affirmative because we were quite prepared. That was what we needed. When I said "Yes," I handed it to Maddox, who had been in mortars and artillery in his career, and said, "I can handle it." I gave it to him, and he relayed it to [Thomas] Watson [11th Marines forward artillery observer], who was a corporal up on the ridge with Edson. For us it was most effective. He began firing 200 or 300 yards in front of us and fired across until he brought it down. I think it was about 100 to 150 yards in front of us. I remember him saying, "That's right, now walk it back and forth across the front." That's what they did. They fired, fired, fired, fired barrages, and that I think broke up the people in front of us that we were almost eyeball to eyeball with.

After this interruption on the radio, Edson himself apparently got Burak to come down on the nose of the big ridge across from where I was and hollered, "John Wolf! This is Burak. Do you hear me?" I called back, "Affirmative, affirmative, John Wolf." Then the next call came through the cup of his hands. "Red Mike says it's okay to withdraw!" Believe me, that was a welcome message to get. After that, I told Maddox to move back from the paratroopers on the left of the message and then get at the pass where the road cuts in the ridge and stop our people there to regroup. Then I told him we'd pull the withdrawal in about five minutes after he departed.

Shortly after that, we got some probes in close. In the meantime, artillery fire that was going on was close. I think it broke up the major who was commanding the battalion. The artillery fire caught them on the ridge and on each side. I think it killed him.

My group was now around sixty or so people. We had some people who disappeared, and that's something that I think needs to be said. We had stragglers. The 1st Parachute Battalion had stragglers -- not stragglers in the sense they were lagging behind but a few men that were leading a charge to the rear. That's where Edson [Bailey] and, I hope, myself, and NCOs were able to quell any panic in the sense that once one or two start, then pretty soon you get others following. I had a brief flare-up of that. We quelled it by shouting, challenging, cursing. "Act like Marines! You call yourself Raiders? Get back there!" What we ended up with was reorganizing them on the reverse slope. This was during the process of some of the messages that were going on. I had one lad who reported earlier. I never met him before he reported to Maddox. He was replacing a runner, a messenger. He was a young fellow, and where he came from I don't know. He was ordered up from the battalion to report to us. Shortly after dark, Maddox came over to me and says, "The new runner doesn't have a rifle." "What'd he do with it?" "Threw it away." "What!?" I went back, grabbed the kid, and his whole body was as stiff as that piece of metal, rigid, trembling. He was scared ****less. As a runner, as a Marine, as a fighter, he was worthless.

This was the height of the battle. We moved back on that cut [on the ridge], and "Horse Collar" [Jim Smith] was ordered by Edson to bring up what he could of the headquarters people. My eyes widened when I saw him and said, "Deploy your company over here." Smith responded, "We're not a company -- just seven men." I said, "Oh, ****!"