PFC John W. "Jake" Sullivan
Create Post

PFC John W. "Jake" Sullivan

It is with a heavy heart that I make my first post on Leatherneck.com. My Uncle Jake passed away last week. He was 87 years old and lost his struggle with bone cancer. Uncle Jake fought at Iwo Jima where he was wounded three times and was awarded the Bronze Star. His citation actually mentions that he refused evacuation until ordered by his Platoon Leader. He said that this was nothing special as every Marine there that wasn't mortally wounded did the same. He always said the only heroes from that battle were still on the island. He refused a burial with full military honors for that very reason. His great-grandson, who is serving in the National Guard and scheduled to deploy to Afghanistan soon, did flag duty with a friend of his also in the National Guard. He was absolutely outstanding! I know Uncle Jake was very proud of him as we all were. When he gave the flag to my Aunt, it was very hard to keep my composure.

Uncle Jake was a bear of a man and when I was young I always thought of him as larger than life. He was 6'3" or 4" and strong as an ox. He loved to hunt and fish and let me tell you, he was the best storyteller I ever heard! When he started a story everybody in the room was spellbound.

I know he is now with his buddies from Iwo and I know my Dad had a spot at the bar ready for him. They're probably sitting up there listening to one of Uncle Jake's stories right now. I hope he's telling them the one about his last hunt where he called in a huge gobbler and I got to be there with him.

Godspeed Uncle Jake, thank you for keeping my country free, and may God bless you.

Semper Fi

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Sorry for your loss, SparkChaser. The loss of a loved one, at any age, is a hard cross to carry. Prayers outbound. It is nice that you have such fond memories of him. Peace be with you and yours during your period of mourning.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Rest In Peace "Uncle" Jake!

Semper-Fi!

Thread Information