2 questions: Expert "award" bars on shoot badge/ribbons on shirts 24/7? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by marine95 View Post
    For someone who claims he is an E-4 and using the Air Force logo, why are we even entertaining this clown? I guess if he is a Marine then he hasn't been to any formal schools or he would know these answers.
    I haven't been to a formal school and I know these answers.
    Basic, basic crap.
    But I'm here to build up and not tear down.

Supposedly he is going to be promoted to E-5 sometime soon.
    Mother of God.

Just wanted to clarify this stuff, not like I'm completely lost in the dark on it all.

I don't spend much time doing "Marine Corps" things. They don't teach you anything about expert award bars or getting your medals mounted or flat mounted ribbons and I haven't taken the time to find out for myself. (I suppose I'm doing that now?) These are all things you learn from experience. And if I ever go to a ball I would know this (it looks like I'll be missing this upcoming one too)

We didn't wear our blues at our last ball.

he's got a point... you don't get taught this stuff in PME resident courses either.... it's shared info.

Having that many sets of "mounted" ribbons isn't a bad thing. A little overboard but that not bad in this situation. You mentioned keeping your ribbons on your uniform..... be careful with your shirts. If you leave the ribbon bars on, sometimes they tend to form a little surface rust on the post. That will then leave a rust mark on your shirt. I always kept a couple of sets of "mounted" ribbons myself. For my shirts, I would put on a set and get it just right. Then I would wiggle the ribbon bar around a little to make the holes in the shirt a little more noticeable. Then I would take off the ribbon bar and put it away in my "tackle box" like wath SSgt P mentioned. The holes are still easily visible in my shirt the I would hang it back up till I needed it. Pull out the shirt..... put the ribbon bar back on the the holes previously made.... then off to duty or inspection or whatever I need to wear that particular uniform for.

they have plastic mounts if you're brave/stupid enough for those.... I used it once when I had 3 ribbons... yeah, it broke after the first use.... but others might have better luck with'em.

A NCO from my era knew these kinds of things about Marine Corps uniform protocol .

huh? probably because they comunicated about that sort of thing... Marines now-a-days are individuals... they don't go do things as a unit and after hours they don't talk about work.... it's just the way it is... talking crap about an AD Marine NCO won't change that... I know you guys hope Achped can change the course of the Marine Corps but he just can't do it.

If this turns into a pizzing match about 'knowledge' I'll shut it down. The questions being asked are legit ones, that are NOT the Marine asking them's 'fault' by any means that he doesn't know. His unit (like many) has lately been concerned with warfighting and not wearing Alpha's Charlies or whatever.

Further, even in the 80's, AND the late 90's, most Marines didn't know alot of the little tricks on mounting their own ribbons. Some of the stuff they found out the hard way (azz chewings) others by trial and error. This section is MY playground and if you aren't giving constructive answers, you needn't provide commentary.

Nuff said.

Achped, buying extra sets of ribbons is an excellent idea. You are gonna need them for sure in MSG school, you can guarantee that. While you'll get some extra uniforms issued the ribbons/medals are up to you to get. If you are getting medals, hopefully you got anodized ones. Get them mounted professionally, it'll be worth the time and trouble.

As far as putting the ribbon bars on your uniforms, I wouldn't. They can make the shirt go out of shape at times, and they stand a good chance of getting dusty or possibly hozed up by hanging in the closet (believe it or not).

If you haven't built a 'cheat rack' yet, take a piece of cardboard, (or plastic, your choice), and properly mount your ribbons and shooting badges on it (using a ruler and not the Mark I eyeball). Once that's done, you'll never have to worry about 'proper spacing' on your charlie shirts again. Just set up and go.

If you don't also already have a small tackle box or junk box for your ribbons/badges/misc parts, go to wallymart (or the px) and buy one. A clear box with a lid that costs about a buck will save you money in the long run and keep your stuff clean.

Thanks for the advice all, Sgt Lep, I like all your ideas but Im confused about the "Cheat rack?"

Mount it on plastic? What good would that do? Wouldn't you have to take it off the plastic to put it on the shirt?

Yes, you have to take it off the plastic to mount it on the shirt, but the plastic will keep the ribbons in one place, and make it look neat and squared away. Your ribbons/badges will be in the same place every time.

You just line the plastic up underneath the shirt fabric, and push the ribbon bar pins through the holes you already have in the plastic. Hard to visualize unless you see it but hopefully that gives you the 'jist' of the idea.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    With the marpat belts web belts are not so prominant. You still need one or two for dress uniforms and you still have to cut them to length. 2-4 inches beyond the buckle. That spare piece of web belt makes a tried and true ribbon backing. Don't go all chesty pullar and get a 4 wide ribbon bar. Those can only be worn by CMC authorization and generally are only authorized if you rate beyond 20 ribbons. Plugging them into your uniform shirts or blouses on a long term basis will create rust stains. Ribbons on shirts is a gig for wall locker inspections unless every swinging dick has them set up that way and it is still a gig.

Thread Information