SSGT Karl G. Taylor
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

SSGT Karl G. Taylor

Dear current and former members of the U.S. Marine Corps,

I am a journalist looking for those who perhaps knew SSGT Karl G. Taylor, who died in combat on Dec. 8, 1968 in Vietnam during Operation Meade River.

SSGT Taylor earned the Congressional Medal of Honor, and he will be honored again noon Saturday at the Independence Cemetery on state Route 844 in Avella, Washington County, Pennsylvania by Gen. David Papak and a Marine Corps honor guard, who will present his three children, one of them also a Marine, with the Medal of Honor flag.

I am respectfully asking that those who knew him to contact me, so I can write a story in his honor and remembrance. I approach this with the utmost respect for SSGT Taylor, his family and the U.S. Marine Corps.

If you would like to contact me, please do so at swallace@pafocus.com.

Thank you.

Summer Wallace-Minger
    Pennsylvania Focus

I know of one Marine on this forum that had him as a Platoon Sgt. He may be around shortly. Good luck.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you, usmchauer.

The ceremony is expected to draw between 1,000 and 1,500 veterans of all forces and U.S. Marines, which is quite a number for our little town. Many are coming from Maryland and the Washington, D.C. area on buses, and the local volunteer fire department will be offering their hospitality and a meal following the ceremony.

Sgt. Joshua Knaufs and the Detachment 5 Military Police Co. Bravo color guard are the honor guard for the event, and one of our commissioners, Larry Maggi, a former sheriff and marine, is organizing the event.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Meade River Madness

S/Sgt.Karl Gorman Taylor Sr.was My S/Sgt. in VietNam,way before Meade River @ during Meade River.He was acting Co.Gunny after our Co.Gunny was very seriously wounded @ later Died of His Wounds.India Co.3rd.Bn.26th Marines."PathFinder" PFC.Gruenwald J.E.

Credits
    Savings
    Sir, would you be interested in speaking to me about S/SGT Taylor?

Credits
    Savings
    Images

S/Sgt.Taylor My Hero

Yes as long as You call Me Jack. I appreciate the Sir but makes Me feel like an Old Fart(lol)

Credits
    Savings
    Jack, thank you so very much. Is there a particular story about your service with S/SGT Taylor that you would like to share?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I have many believe Me,But the day I got Shot Twice in tha Bunkers of Dodge City,How He held my hand Like He was My Father awaiting a Dust Off "Medivac Chopper" under Heavy Enemy Fire and staying with Me the whole time telling Me I was the Best PFC. in tha'whole Marine Corps.S/F Jack

Credits
    Savings
    That is an incredible story. He must have been a man who was dedicated to the welfare of his fellow Marines.

Would you be comfortable with speaking to me over the phone?

Last edited by Summer; 08-14-09 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Premature post

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    We were His Boys and Marines I heard Him tell A higher ranking Marine once.We can talk only after I have time 2 get a Few Drinks under My belt,Have never really shared this with anyone since the last Time I saw S/Sgt.Taylors live Face.My# is 414-427-2659 Respectfully Jack

Credits
    Savings
    Jack, I am deeply honored that you would share your memories of S/SGT. Taylor with me. Thank you. I hope that I can do justice to his memory and to you.

With your permission, I will call you between 8:00 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. Central Time?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I should Be Good 2 Go by then Respectfully Jack Heres Too Ya S/Sgt.Taylor S/F Gung-Ho-OOHRAH

Credits
    Savings
    I look forward to speaking to you in person. Again, thank you.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you again to Jack, a lovely gentleman. I have posted some pictures from the ceremony to the album in my profile so others who couldn't travel to the ceremony can look at them.

Hello Summer. Perhaps we met at ceremony. I am Ken Rodwick, Karl's son-in-law. I joined here recently myself as I was looking for old friends of Karl's to let them know of the presentation. The family and I will look forward to see how your project progresses. Good Luck. Hope you don't mind if I post links to newspaper sites that had front page articles about the ceremony.
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com:8000/x.../s_638538.html

http://www.observer-reporter.com/OR/...flag-presented

Thread Information