HUGE problem with my leg while running
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HUGE problem with my leg while running

I recently got back into running in our poolee meetings and have seem to injured my leg. Its in the INSIDE part of my leg right below the calf. I want to say its this muscle here http://www.pilatespatio.com/flexor_digitorum_longus.jpg

It doesnt seem to be shin splints because the pain isnt in my shin. its to the inside of the leg.

It doesnt hurt when I walk, but if I jump or run, with each step it hurts. After a lap or so around the track the pain eases a bit, but I still cant give 100% and once my running is over, it pounds. Anyone else experience this? I dont think alot of you honestly do, as alot of you are in highschool still and are physically active, but I graduated 06 and really didnt do many physical exercises so yeah. Any info will help!

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Can you describe more of the positioning of it, please? That may help a little more. (I.e., inside right leg, back left, etc.)

Its on the inside of the leg. So for my left leg, its to the right of the shin below the calf, and on the right leg, its to the left of the shin below the calf. this muscle or tendon http://www.pilatespatio.com/flexor_digitorum_longus.jpg

If you look at that picture, thats what is sore to the point where I dont want to run.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Oh, it's on both? I have no idea. My suggestion would be to rest a few days and then see what's up. I hurt my quad just above my knee on the outside of my left leg. Two days of down time and now I'm good to go. Don't take my word for it, though. If any other poolees here know what this is, our brother-in-waiting could use it.

Good luck with that, Enrique.

And HAZZAH Classes of '06! lol

Yeah thanks man, Ive been looking this up all day. Lol. Been sore for a month now. I can still manage a 10:00ish 1 1/2 mile but I KNOW I can do better if I can get it healed.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    If nothing else, my grandma swears by China Gel. It supposedly works wonders, but smells bad, so I've never used it. She's gotten a bunch of people hooked on it. Just heat it up, rub it on, and you're good.

Haha, I dont want to hide the pain, but get rid of it completely. Ahh, I see you are in Hacienda heights. Im here in SD.

Marine Friend Free Member Cressler's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I think you should look up and do some special stretches for the next week or so and while your in boot....The best i can tell you is if you have an athletic trainer you were friends with at school talk to him or....go to yahoo answers and put this info on there there are some very capable people on there that can help you

Congrats. Sounds like you have shin splints. Soak both your legs in a bucket of ice water for 20 min a night it it will feel 100% better.

I used to have the same kind of pain in the same area, it was shin splints. What I did is wrapped my shin area with first that thin foam tape then athletic tape. When I applied the athletic tape I would wrap it so muscles on the side of my leg were pulled back towards my calf. The foam tape is so you don't have to tape anything to your skin making it unpleasant when removing. After a while the pain just went away and I didn't have to tape my shins.

Alright thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated.

Ice your leg's, its the only real advice I can give. My sister run's ALOT and if they hurt she just goes and takes a ice bath or when its getting colder here in Minnesota go's and stands in a lake, and the problem goes away!

Another thing you might look at is your running shoes. Make sure you have the correct kind; go to a store that specializes in running shoes, make them look at how you run. You need a different kind of shoe depending on the degree of pronation you have in your stride.

I'm an older guy too, this was my problem. The trick to ice your leg in that particular area: ice and seram wrap. Do that for 10 mins, followed by 10 mins in a hot towel. Repeat for an hour.

Hope this helps.

That is a ligament. From what it sounds like, it does not sound like it is tore. I have had a similar problem, i didnt run from a month and when i went back in to running for the first time, the ligament was swollen for like three days. I would reccomend trying some biofreeze. also, use a heating pad, for 20mins, a cool compress for 20mins. alternating for 2 hours at least. Alternates to biofreeze: IcyHot, Bengay, etc.

I have the same problem. Or I did. A poolee told me to sit on the ground and with my right foot (heel) push against my left foot (toes) so that you are pulling with your toes and pushing with your heel. Anyways do that stretch from now on and it should make it stop. If that doesnt make sense send me a message and Ill try to explain it better. It worked for me and now I have now pain.

Thread Information