Top This One For A Speeding Ticket
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jetdawgg
    Guest Free Member

Talking Top This One For A Speeding Ticket

Two California Highway Patrol Officers were conducting speeding enforcement on I-15, just north of the Marine Corps Air Station at Miramar . One of the officers was using a hand held radar device to check speeding vehicles approaching the crest of a hill. The officers were suddenly surprised when the radar gun began reading 300 miles per hour. The officer attempted to reset the radar gun, but it would not reset and then turned off. Just then a deafening roar over the treetops revealed that the radar had in fact locked on to a USMC F/A-18 Hornet (Northrop Grumman aircraft)which was engaged in a low flying exercise near the location.

Back at the CHP Headquarters the Patrol Captain fired off a complaint to the USMC Base Commander. The reply came back in true USMC style:

Thank you for your letter. We can now complete the file on this incident.
    You may be interested to know that the tactical computer in the Hornet had detected the presence of, and subsequently locked on to your hostile radar equipment and automatically sent a jamming signal back to it, which is why it shut down.

Furthermore, an Air-to-Ground missile aboard the fully armed aircraft had also automatically locked on to your equipment location.

Fortunately, the Marine Pilot flying the Hornet recognized the situation for what it was, quickly responded to the missile system alert status and was able to override the automated defense system before the missile was launched to destroy the hostile radar position.

The pilot also suggests you cover your mouths when cussing at them, since the video systems on these jets are very high tech.

Sergeant Johnson, the officer holding the radar gun, should get his dentist to check his left rear molar. It appears the filling is loose. Also, the snap is broken on his holster.

Thank you for your concern.

Semper Fi

That is good...

Not just good, that is absolutely awesome

Owned. Love it.

Credits
    Savings
    that is amazing...i seem to remember hearing or reading that somewhere...

so being a noob Marine, I gotta ask...how likely is that situation?? Would a Hornets weapons system pick up a radar gun as a hostile radar device??

I would assume. The tracking system for the radar guns are similar to those of the MANPADS. It's sensitive equipment, though I doubt the F-18 would have shot a missile, though that would have been cool.

I think the more unlikely part of the story isn't that the Jet locked onto the radar because that seems plausible. The issue would rather be the Police and their radar gun being able to clock something going 300 mph. I'm not certain but I don't believe their radar guns are made for that and likely wouldn't display a reading like that.

jetdawgg
    Guest Free Member
    The reply came back in true USMC style:
    All Marines know how to respond properly

Banksta's and Gangsta's can't hang

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Awesome!

Carry on

Quote Originally Posted by Lupo22 View Post

so being a noob Marine, I gotta ask...how likely is that situation??
    It's not likely at all...everyone knows it didn't happen. It's just funny to read.

this was a chain mail email...

I think snopes debunked it....

it is a funny read though.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by BR34 View Post
    It's not likely at all...everyone knows it didn't happen. It's just funny to read.
    I got that much Cpl...I was just wondering if the F/A 18 is that sensitive to civilian radar systems.

It would be hilarious if that really did happen...I think I'd be traumatized if I were the cop with the radar...I'd be afraid to ever shoot again! Like Cougar in Top Gun after the MIG locked on to him...just freeze up! lol

if a MIG locked onto an American fighter jet then the pilot sucks balls. our jets have always out performed migs... the only thing migs had was that they can fly straight up without stalling...

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    if a MIG locked onto an American fighter jet then the pilot sucks balls. our jets have always out performed migs... the only thing migs had was that they can fly straight up without stalling...

Which we can now do with the F-22. Not a Marine Corps aircraft I know, but still the baddest fvcking thing that flies. The only thing that comes close is the Eurofighter Typhoon.

Thread Information