Marrying a 17 year old?
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Marrying a 17 year old?

My girl and I have been together for 4 years now since I was 15 and she was 13 when we first started dating and now its 19 and 17. We've been engaged for the past year and a half and her parents are cool with our plans to get married before she turns 18. My question is does the Marine Corps have an order against us marrying before she turns 18 as its still more than a few months away, but we'd like to be married before my first deployment.

Oh Jesus Christ.

Devil Dog, the worst thing you can possibly do right now is get married. Never in your first four and definitely not as a young boot PFC about to go away on deployment.

I know I didn't answer your question directly but that's about the same thing your command is going to say to you when you go to them, if your lucky. More than likely you'll be counting leaves.

WTF is it with boots and the need to get married?

EDIT:

For the record, the UCMJ sets the age limit at 16 for bang-ability, or whatever the state says (which ever is greater).

I don't know about marriage.

I don't think you should get married right now give it a year or two and see what happens. I have seen a lot of marriage not work out when they are just starting out in the Marine Corps. I would talk to her and see what she thinks about it. I had a lot of friends that it don't work out for them. But it is up to you Friend. Take care and I hope this helps you.

I think I may have come off as an azz.

Wasn't my intention. I just get worried for young Marines like yourself. Seen them get themselves into schitty situations and I hope to help other Marines learn from their mistakes (and any of mine. )

You can get married, and you'll get paid a little extra. Just keep in mind that if you get divorced, you're probably going to be paying her bills for the rest of your life, especially if you start spawning rugrats. If I were you, I would talk to one of your NCOs and get some advice and if you decide to do get married, he/she can help you get the paperwork started.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Put half your money into savings bonds and marry in 4 years. She'll probably be done with college by then. You'll have experience and a healthy nest egg, and she'll have that degree. Run that by the parents and see what they say.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Belay all that logical trash...you are so getting married!

Congrats!

Contract marriage in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowwing View Post
    Belay all that logical trash...you are so getting married!

Congrats!
    OMG, that's Lovejoy, I didn't know till you posted the pic.

Lovejoy, I hope you know that everyone hated you when you were the class leader. My roommate came back every night and beat a doll that looked like you for two hours.

Back on topic.

Since when do Marines think logically? Thanks for the info, I've definetly thought about the risk, divorce rate in the country let alone our Corps is tragically high. But I think the reward is worth the risk to me. Might not be saying that if I get one of those lovely "dear john's". She's a good ol' texas girl and I love her, just don't want to end up standing in chucks at POA for a sentencing. Oregon law allows marriage at 17 with Parents permission so I know I'm safe there.

Legally you should be fine. Best of luck to you!

Go for it!

Don't do it, Marine. There is soo much azz out there in this world today that is willing to give it up to you. Especially now that you're a Marine. Jeez.

The odds of divorce in this country today are terrible, maybe not after the first year, maybe not after five years, but after ten years do you really think you're still gonna want the same things. I know you say, and you think you will, but odds are not in your favor. Marriage works out for some people, but I'm telling you, it doesn't work out for MANY more. Don't get suckered in. Good Luck. Semper Fi

Since you are about to deploy, you should hold off. I am assuming that the two of you haven't been apart much at all since you started dating. The deployment will be a lot longer for her than it will be for you. If you make it through your first deployment and neither of you have any doughts about your loyalty to each other, then go for it. Not saying anything about your relationship, but I have seen entirely to many young Marines get married prior to deplyments only to come home and start going through a divorce. Give it a test ride for one deployment.

Well, I think his mind is made up.

He'll see the foolishness of it in a few years. Maybe she'll see it sooner and that's what starts the breaking apart process. She's 17 now? I give her 2 more years till she gets to college and the first few alcohol-fueled "indiscretions" come to light.

Good luck. Enjoy the extra BAH while it lasts.

Don't have kids.

Thread Information